Arch variants similar to Puppy in its spirit

Grey

Arch variants similar to Puppy in its spirit

Post by Grey »

So, which of the Arch variants is most similar to Puppy in its spirit? Well, it's probably Obarun. Without systemd. S6 supervision suite as init and 66 as service management. JWM as windows manager.

There is also ArchBang. But there's just an Openbox. In addition, the author's mood, like mine, depends on the rain☔️ And since it was raining in the UK in March, he started thinking about replacing Openbox with JWM or Cinnamon. He does not consider MATE (and I like MATE specifically). He doesn't like xfce4, there is no response from users to DWM.
And then he went back to Openbox again. But he decided to replace the tint2 panel with polybar.

Now, in general, many people are trying to find their own special way in the development of Linux ;) But mostly it seems that everything will come down to switching control to the keyboard and memorizing hotkeys.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Arch variants similar to Puppy in its spirit

Post by rockedge »

But mostly it seems that everything will come down to switching control to the keyboard and memorizing hotkeys.

Sounds just like using some of the desktop environments made to layer on top of MS-DOS back in 1988-1994

OR using Norton's Commander as the "desktop" on top of DOS.......

I have DWM compiled and running on a F96-CE_4 that I can turn on instead of JWM. I found the JWM, Rox and Cortile combo MUCH easier to use and very similar in functionality.

F96-CE_4 with Cortile on top of JWM comes close to the best balance of stacking and tiling together on one desktop that I've found.

Screenshot.jpg
Grey

Re: Arch variants similar to Puppy in its spirit

Post by Grey »

rockedge wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:18 pm

Sounds just like using some of the desktop environments made to layer on top of MS-DOS back in 1988-1994

OR using Norton's Commander as the "desktop" on top of DOS.......

We even sang a guitar song about DOS and Norton in the 90s. In the song, cheerful Norton deleted (yes, F8) 40 megabytes in a Windows folder (it seems to be W95) :) And at the very end of the song, all the people went out to DOS and were happy.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Return to “Other Distros”