Global icons generator

Building a Puppy Linux OS

Moderator: Forum moderators

AntonioPt

Global icons generator

Post by AntonioPt »

Hello all while i was running LunarPup and HunPup i notice that the file globicons in /root/Choices/ROX-filer/globicons and /root/.config/rox.sourceforce.net/ROX-filer/globicons have some wrong info about the files and paths so i decide to make a globicons generate to fix that issue

If you find bugs,.... please let me know and if you think this could be useful feel free to use it and abuse it :)
Test it in HunPup LunarPup FossaPup Fossa_CE and LXpup
The code below
Path of globicons updated thxx to @MochiMoppel :)

export GI_1="/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/globicons"
export GI_2="/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons"

List of icons updated + add it more mess now need to understand what devices i have plugin to set and implement right icons all so since this script is ain't doing that yet

Attachments
globicons_gen.fake.gz
(6.57 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Last edited by AntonioPt on Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

Why astronauts use Linux
Because you can't open windows in space

MochiMoppel

Re: Global icons generator

Post by MochiMoppel »

AntonioPt wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:41 pm

Hello all while i was running LunarPup and HunPup i notice that the file globicons in /root/Choices/ROX-filer/globicons and /root/.config/rox.sourceforce.net/ROX-filer/globicons have some wrong info about the files and paths so i decide to make a globicons generate to fix that issue

• Firstly: Nice and tidy code :thumbup2:
  • Secondly: Does not work. I don't know "LunarPup" or "HunPup", but are you sure that the paths are /root/Choices/ROX-filer/globicons and /root/.config/rox.sourceforce.net/ROX-filer/globicons? ROX-Filer is written with capital F
  • Thirdly: It's dangerous because it overwrites any existing globicons file without asking. Seldom what a user appreciates.
  • Fourthly: Why does it bail out with message "JWM ain't running so this will not work" when JWM is not running? What does JWM have to do with all this?
AntonioPt

Post by AntonioPt »

Hello @MochiMoppel how are you,

1 Thank you you for let me know about the path i miss that F :) so yes it will not work 100% just to start :D
2 Since i add the wrong path yes it will not work well indeed.
When i first start working on this script i made some temp files,... and after i add the real path of globicons,... but ooks like i miss the F and this is why :D
So in HunPup and LunarPup every time i change "Icons Theme", some icons don't show up and that is because inside of globicons, the icons path don't exist and have extra apps info that your OS don't have, so i thought to my self why too many info when doesn't exist in this machine.
Well
3 Well why do all without asking user "To be honest" i didnt thought about it because i only imagine Experts to to just a thing :D thats why i add the comment that mine is Edit by my script but i was about to make a backup file just in case but to be hones but i didn't . so maybe have to think about it :D

And Finaly JWM well Global icons from what i get it are rules that are control by JWM or im wrong ? and if i don't check if jwm ain't running or if files don't exist why run app like i notice when i run a test in Lxpup :D

Attachments
globicons.png
globicons.png (356.48 KiB) Viewed 484 times

Why astronauts use Linux

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

AntonioPt wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:24 pm

And Finaly JWM well Global icons from what i get it are rules that are control by JWM or im wrong ?

Yes.

AntonioPt

Post by AntonioPt »

Hello all,

Just realize didn't add full filst of icons now updated it i all so add extras messages of error now need to understand to implement right icons according if is usb, sdcard,.....

@MochiMoppel afater reading your post,... i made more test,... and i realize i just need globicons in /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons so my question to you "if you know the anser" is why is there 2 globicons in different places ?
and you are right after a few more tests,... i notice dont need jwm to update icons,... :D

Why astronauts use Linux

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

AntonioPt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:14 am

i realize i just need globicons in /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons so my question to you "if you know the anser" is why is there 2 globicons in different places ?

Because Puppy devs love to ride dead horses? :lol: Seriously, I don't know. ROX deprecated the /root/Choices location for its configuration files many, many years ago. It now adheres to the XDG standard and uses the XDG_CONFIG_HOME variable to determine the config location. Usually XDG_CONFIG_HOME is set to /root/.config. . In order to maintain backward compatibility ROX can still read /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/globicons if /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons does not exist, but it will not write to this outdated location. For any change a user makes ROX will create /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons if it doesn't exist. So there is no good reason to keep this stuff in /root/Choices. Or is it Nostalgia?

Return to “woof-CE”