don570

QV installer script usage

Post by don570 »

QV install script usage

I haven't tried to install QV yet
qv installer script download
viewtopic.php?p=116473#p116473

I think it would be possible to do this in fatdog64 901 if
a recent version of mount-img was installed.

Here is the terminal output when I tried to run the script...

Code: Select all

ERROR older version of mount-img not suitable.
ERROR name of QV img file needs to be passed on commandline.
Please open a terminal wherever you have downloaded the image file, then run this script. For example:
# qv-installer qv-240413-amd64.img
Press ENTER to abort script: # 

Also the full package of btrfs is needed to format the partition to that filesystem.
I would be interested if anyone can get the script to work.

williwaw

Re: QV installer script usage

Post by williwaw »

the fix for mount-img is here viewtopic.php?t=11149

you need to add btrfs-progs (which should include btrfs-tools) to your fatdog in order to enable gparted to format a partition to btrfs,
I think qv-installer is supposed to be able to reformat also, but would suppose btrfs-progs would also be needed if you are running from something besides qv.
A qv can be installed to a USB with DD

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

In Fatdog64, you can just double-click the qv.img file with ROX and you can view the contents. Two additional drive icons will be shown on the desktop (dm-0 and dm-1), and you can mount them by clicking on the drive icon as usual. The main btrfs partition would be in dm-1.

To un-mount it, just click on the green checkbox on dm-1 (the same way you unmount other partitions), and then double-click the original qv.img to remove dm-0/dm-1 drive icons (and you must do it in that order: unmount the partition, then unmount qv.img).

No additional tool or script is needed.

This whole magic is done with the venerable filemnt (old timers will remember this), so from the command line you can do exactly the same thing by doing filemnt qv.img (to open the image file and access dm-0 and dm-1), followed by mount /dev/dm-1 /mnt/data to access the partition. To close it, just reverse the order: umount /mnt/data, and then filemnt qv.img.

PS: if you want to use Fatdog's filemnt script in other Puppies, please be aware that it depends on two uncommon binaries: guess_fstype (this is available in most puppies), and kpartx (this is from a package called multipath-tools). If you don't have these two binaries, filemnt will not work on your system.

---------------

I can't say much about mount-img or qv-installer; but I would humbly suggest to Barry to:
a) put all the external script dependencies (like mount-img) inside the qv-installer so it does not depend them being externally available (e.g. copy the contents of mount-img and put it in a function called mount-img inside the qv-installer; the same for probepart2, etc)
b) detect that the tools required for operations exist (e.g. which mkfs.btrfs) and if they don't, bail out while giving the reason why (e.g. "mkfs.btrfs does not exist, please install btrfs-tools package" or something like that).

This is of course if the plan is to use qv-installer from outside QV itself. If the plan is to use qv-installer only from inside QV itself, then the suggestions above is not relevant.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

jamesbond wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:09 am

This is of course if the plan is to use qv-installer from outside QV itself. If the plan is to use qv-installer only from inside QV itself, then the suggestions above is not relevant.

Yeah, I was thinking of only running qv-installer inside QV. My intention was to advise people to boot QV on a usb-stick first, then do an install to internal drive.

Having said that, qv-installer does already do checking of everything that it is likely to need in another distro.
That message about mount-img being too old, that don570 reported, is one of the checks.

mount-img -- yes, either bundle the two scripts together in a tarball, or PET, or merge mount-img inside qv-installer.

I might do the latter.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

jamesbond wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:09 am

PS: if you want to use Fatdog's filemnt script in other Puppies, please be aware that it depends on two uncommon binaries: guess_fstype (this is available in most puppies), and kpartx (this is from a package called multipath-tools). If you don't have these two binaries, filemnt will not work on your system.

EasyOS and QV have a script that replaces guess_fstype:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/ash
#20220619 a replacement for the old guess_fstype
# ref: https://bkhome.org/news/202206/guessfstype-symlink-removed.html

PART="$1"
[ ! "$PART" ] && exit
[ "${PART:0:5}" != "/dev/" ] && exit

FS="$(blkid ${PART} | tr ' ' '\n' | grep '^TYPE' | cut -f 2 -d '"')"
[ ! "$FS" ] && FS='unknown'
echo "$FS"

###end###
don570

install Easy OS using LICK

Post by don570 »

The reason why I asked---
I was able to install and launch older versions of Easy OS on a Windows computer
using LICK

Method:
you need some empty disk space to install Easy OS. Use Windows partition app.

download fatdog64 image and inside is LICK and the instructions to install fatdog64 using LICK.
Install of fatdog64 next to Windows should be easy.

Launch fatdog64 (using LICK bootloader) and use gparted to partition empty space to ext4
Use fatdog64 's grub4dos to create old fashioned menu.lst
(LICK config file is located on sda3. It can be modified as well)

Do a frugal install of easy os
Launch easy os using legacy method which my HP Elite desktop allows in BIOS

Return to “FatDog64”