How to get Wifi to work in Fossapup64?

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

Steve1234

How to get Wifi to work in Fossapup64?

Post by Steve1234 »

Hello, I'm a newbie...

On the official Fossapup64 OS, I cannot get my wifi working. I believe the current official kernel is 5.4.53.
However, I accidentally found a ISO that DOES work with my wifi, and I downloaded it from here.. https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=5095
This appears to be a Russian creator that updated the Fossa ISO with a newer and unofficial kernel. The problem is although this newer unofficial version allows my wifi to work, it also stops my sound working.

Either way I would like to stay with the official fossapup64 version as it its easier to trouble shoot any problems in the future.

So, How can I get the wifi drivers from the newer unofficial version and inject them into my older official ISO?
I have attempted to find the driver for my wifi manually by searching in zdrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs but I am simply unable to find them as Im not even sure which files relate to my wifi card.

Just to recap, my working wifi is in this ISO fossapup64-9.5-k5.15.4.iso
and I need to inject the wifi files into the official fossapup64-9.5.iso

Can anyone help me with this as I have been trying to fix this problem myself for 3.5 hours and i'm really struggling. ive searched through the forums, other webpages, and i'm still stuck.
I seen one page that said I might need to recompile the drivers for my official fossapup version, but the guide was extremely complex and i cant even compile anything unless I have the wifi files I need to compile.

My laptop is a dell g3 3500, it has an intel "killer wireless" card, and I might have possibly identified my wifi card as ALC3254, but i have no idea if this is accurate.

I also tried to load the zdrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs file into the official fossapup, but i just gave me an error and refused to merge with my OS.
I'm completely out of options and im suffering from severe lack of background knowledge.
I'd appreciate any pointers or help I can find.

Steve1234

Re: Wifi problems.

Post by Steve1234 »

I persisted with this after I made my pst and came across another possible guide.
I used terminal with lspci -nn | grep etwork, Which i guess requests the pci device id.
Terminal returned " Network Controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Wif-Fi 6 AX201 [8086 : 06f0

Now I know my wifi adapter. I just dont know how to get it into my offical ISO

I found this and Im attempting it now.

EDIT: First try Chris' suggestion below. If the adaptor is an Intel AX201, as others suggested, firmware is probably here:
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/_media ... 5109.0.tgz
Copy the file into an empty folder, cd into that folder, then run tar -zxvf iwlwifi-qu-48.13675109.0.tgz
then copy .ucode files found in subfolder into /lib/firmware. Hopefully wireless will then work. If not, do diagnostics above.

I will update this reply when i have more news...

norgo

Re: How to get Wifi to work in Fossapup64?

Post by norgo »

Hello @Steve1234
the 5.4.53 kernel is to old for this wifi hardware.
When I remember correct at least kernel version 5.15 is required.
Where from I know this? I've the same hardware in my laptop.
In my case kernel 5.10.142 to old too.
So I compiled the backport-driver for my kernel.
The driver is working without problems but the compilation and creating of package is not easy.
Meanwhile I changed to a newer kernel version and wifi is working out of the box.
I think it's the better solution to change the kernel.

If you want to try compilation look here

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Hi there

Have you tried swapping the kernel to a newer build?

The Linux kernel 6.8.4 has been provided.

Also, newer Fdrv.sfs have included (firmware).

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Here is how to on changing the kernel:
viewtopic.php?t=317

Do not try to use a kernel that is usrmerge.

They will not work in Fossapup64 9.5

Some people are starting to compile usrmerge kernels and posting them on the forum.
As I understand they will work on some of the very newest Puppy versions that are setup to use that type.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Steve1234

Post by Steve1234 »

norgo wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:31 am

Hello @Steve1234
the 5.4.53 kernel is to old for this wifi hardware.
When I remember correct at least kernel version 5.15 is required.
Where from I know this? I've the same hardware in my laptop.
In my case kernel 5.10.142 to old too.
So I compiled the backport-driver for my kernel.
The driver is working without problems but the compilation and creating of package is not easy.
Meanwhile I changed to a newer kernel version and wifi is working out of the box.
I think it's the better solution to change the kernel.

If you want to try compilation look here

I appreciate your help, However compiling myself is completely outside my knowledge and abilities. I might have a try as a last resort.
As I said with the 5.15 kernel, the wifi works, but the sound does not. so Im simply swapping one problem for another. However, after 8 hours of trying to fix this, I might stay with the Russian version and attempt to fix the sound problem.

Steve1234

Post by Steve1234 »

Jasper wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:35 am

Hi there

Have you tried swapping the kernel to a newer build?

The Linux kernel 6.8.4 has been provided.

Also, newer Fdrv.sfs have included (firmware).

Yes, I attempted approximately 12 times. Although I have run into multiple problems and im currently deciding on my next course of action.

I attempted to manually copy the VMlinuz and Zdrv files into my USB stick, but it keeps trying to find the puppy.sfs file in my hard drive.
I then attempted to change all entries in grub.cfg from CD media to USB. this unfortunately didn't work.

I then attempted to boot into the older live USB and inject the vmliuz and zdrv files, but "change_kernels' program does not allow me to inject files whilst im using the live USB, and unfortunately i don't have a spare hard drive to complete a frugal install.

I also noticed that I cannot write to the USB stick whist I am using it for my live usb. it claims the USB stick is read only which is weird since a savefile would always be saved to the USB!? Maybe the VMlinuz and zdrv files are write protected. and other files are not?

Given the time ive spent on this is coming up to 9 hours, Im going to attempt to use the Russian version with Kernel 5.15 and fix the sound issue. (although whenever Ive had sound issues in the past, i've usually been forced to give up also.

Is there any "easy tutorial" on how to compile kernels? I have the Wifi files but the documentation on the git hub page will take me approximately 5 days to follow and I cant be sure I would follow it successfully.

I noticed the F96 Puppy has become popular, so I might change to it, However I have another issue with that distro when I cannot use the mouse.

I also attempted to instal the live USB iso with multiple tools, I found winsetup to USB doesnt like my uefi requirements, balchin etcher seems to have unpredictable results and rufus wont install the russian version ISO, (and some of the tools change the filesystem so i cant see the files. (or the USB wont boot).

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Steve1234 wrote:

I have the Wifi files but the documentation on the git hub page......

can you share the link? Maybe I can compile a driver for you.

Have you tried with F96-CE_4 ?

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

Steve1234 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:43 pm

Either way I would like to stay with the official fossapup64 version as it its easier to trouble shoot any problems in the future.

If you want a Pup that uses Focal Fossa packages, there is FossaPup 9.6 (as opposed to 9.5) otherwise known as F96-CE (as suggested above) which is an "official" Puppy release with some updates and improvements including a later 6.x.x series kernel. Developed and supported by the Puppy community so folks will try their best to assist with any future issues and maybe better for your hardware out of the box?
viewforum.php?f=197
Just noticed you mentioned something about a mouse issue with F96, Hmm, rather unusual. Just thought it would be better to have an off-the-shelf Puppy that has all the basics working from the outset. I suggest also looking at BookwormPup64 as it is even more recent and has compatibility with Debian Bookworm instead of Ubuntu Focal, so a bit newer in that respect as well.
viewforum.php?f=202

Steve1234

Post by Steve1234 »

rockedge wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:05 pm
Steve1234 wrote:

I have the Wifi files but the documentation on the git hub page......

can you share the link? Maybe I can compile a driver for you.

Have you tried with F96-CE_4 ?

Yes i got it from here. I identified my card as Wif-Fi 6 AX201 in the terminal.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... eless.html

Steve1234

Post by Steve1234 »

OscarTalks wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:10 pm

If you want a Pup that uses Focal Fossa packages, there is FossaPup 9.6 (as opposed to 9.5) otherwise known as F96-CE (as suggested above) which is an "official" Puppy release with some updates and improvements including a later 6.x.x series kernel. Developed and supported by the Puppy community so folks will try their best to assist with any future issues and maybe better for your hardware out of the box?
viewforum.php?f=197
Just noticed you mentioned something about a mouse issue with F96, Hmm, rather unusual. Just thought it would be better to have an off-the-shelf Puppy that has all the basics working from the outset. I suggest also looking at BookwormPup64 as it is even more recent and has compatibility with Debian Bookworm instead of Ubuntu Focal, so a bit newer in that respect as well.
viewforum.php?f=202

I had the mouse issue with the fusili version. I can make a video of it later this evening. However since I did not know my way around the new OS, I could test anything beyond pressing a few random mouse clicks.

I also downloaded F96 CE 4 as you suggested from here...
https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/ISO/F96-CE/
I found this distro worked out of the box on both my wifi and my sound, so it definately has some good drivers that work with my machine.
The problems I came to after testing for a few hours was that JRE kept giving me errors about my HOME_PATH was messed up. Ive neer had that error before. Also F96 uses Rox filier which I find difficult and quirky to use. Typically I would use FossaPUP64 9.5 and then add the lxde zdrv, which suited me perfectly. However I ran out of time and did not have time to search for and lxde addon for F96 CE 4.
Im currently at work now and I cannot reply until this evening as my manager can see my computer screen :o :o :o

Steve1234

Post by Steve1234 »

Steve1234 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:32 am
OscarTalks wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:10 pm

viewforum.php?f=197
viewforum.php?f=202

I had the mouse issue with the fusili version. I can make a video of it later this evening. However since I did not know my way around the new OS, I could test anything beyond pressing a few random mouse clicks.

I also downloaded F96 CE 4 as you suggested from here...
https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/ISO/F96-CE/
I found this distro worked out of the box on both my wifi and my sound, so it definately has some good drivers that work with my machine.
The problems I came to after testing for a few hours was that JRE kept giving me errors about my HOME_PATH was messed up. Ive neer had that error before. Also F96 uses Rox filier which I find difficult and quirky to use. Typically I would use FossaPUP64 9.5 and then add the lxde zdrv, which suited me perfectly. However I ran out of time and did not have time to search for and lxde addon for F96 CE 4.
Im currently at work now and I cannot reply until this evening as my manager can see my computer screen :o :o :o

As a side note, this is the problem I has with the fusili version, I never found a solution

https://fastupload.io/Qno7jHr5KOqZcca/file

Return to “Fossapup64”