fcitx cannot input English on fossapup64_9.5 (Solved)

miltonx

Post by miltonx »

I tried fcitx 18.0.5 / 18.0.51 / 20 s and t / 21s and t on fossapup64_9.5, and none can switch back to english input. When i press ctrl-space, the fcitx bar dissappears, but keyboard strokes contitue to input chinese. I tried to add English input in fcitx config window, but none is available. Any solution to that?

(i only installed half-chinese.)

Last edited by miltonx on Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
icake

Re: fcitx cannot input English on fossapup64_9.5

Post by icake »

There is no English input method included in the fcitx pet. Therefore if you want to input English after fcitx is running, you have to disable fcitx.
you can do this in 2 ways:

A. exit on fcitx window:
1. open an application that allows user input, e.g. geany or Abiword
2. ctrl+space - the fcitx input method window will appear
3. mouse right click on the fcitx window - a drop down menu will appear
4. mouse left click on bottom last item in the drop-down window "Exit"

B. using terminal
1. in terminal, type "killall fcitx", enter

After doing A or B, you will disable fcitx and all user input will be in English

To input Chinese again, open terminal, type fcitx to restart it

I will try to include English as one available input method for fcitx in the future.
icake

icake

Post by icake »

I spent more time on fcitx and found these:
When fcitx is running, you can temporary input English without disabling fcitx in a number of ways:

1. Temporary English Mode
"shift" + "a-z" (Press the left or right shift key together with one of the letters a to z). This will activate the temporary English mode and all your input will be in English until you clear the buffer by pressing the “enter” key.

2. Virtual Keyboard
on the fcitx active window (the widow showing fcitx is active, it has the fcitx logo), mouse left click on the keyboard icon. This will pop-up the virtual keyboard and you can use the mouse to click on the pop-up virtual keyboard to input English

3. Specific Input Method
select an input method that does not use the English characters a-z, e.g. Dianbonma 電報碼 (good for inputting a-z because all codes are using the 0-9 numbers)

Please let me know if you have more ideas.
icake

miltonx

Post by miltonx »

Thanks for the quick reply, icake.

These temp coping methods are ok for occasional switch between en and cn, but for heavy duty typing jobs it is obviously inadequate.

Fortunately I know from trying that Yong 18.51 works well for fossa64-9.5. It can switch back to en. This is for other users' information.

I will mark this thread solved since it is affirmed that fcitx for now cannot quickly switch to full english. Meanwhile i will look forword to your upgraded fcitx.

icake

Post by icake »

I have updated the fcitx versions 20 and 21 pets to include the English input method (keyboard input). During this process, I found some bugs and have to revised 2 other scim version 20 pets as well. The 8 pets affected are:
fcitx64_4.2.9-en-zh-bionic-21.0.0.pet
fcitx64_4.2.9-en-zh-bionic-21.0.0s.pet
fcitx64_4.2.9-en-zh-bionic-21.0.0t.pet
fcitx_4.2.9-en-zh-bionic-20.0.0.pet
fcitx_4.2.9-en-zh-bionic-20.0.0s.pet
fcitx_4.2.7-fd64802-en-zh-raring-21.0.0f.txz
scim_1.4.14-en-zh-bionic-20.0.0s.pet
scim_1.4.18-en-zh-bionic-20.0.0.pet

The above 8 pets originally uploaded to the public sharing folders were kept but their names have been changed from "%%.pet" to "%%.old.pet". Another 8 newly revised pets with the same names have also been uploaded to the public sharing folders.

miltonx

Re: fcitx cannot input English on fossapup64_9.5 (Solved)

Post by miltonx »

Fantastic job, icake! So glad to have a fully functional fcitx on fossapup.

BTW, can you share what it takes to learn modifying mainstream linux apps for pets? I have some basic coding skill in js and c#, which is not related to linux development. Where should I start? Please note I do not intend to develop from scratch, just jope to turn existing linux apps for puppy.

Return to “Standard Chinese Language PET's”