Is it possible, to create a Puppy pendrive which boots in both Legacy and UEFI mode??? [SOLVED]

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

lizardidi

Is it possible, to create a Puppy pendrive which boots in both Legacy and UEFI mode??? [SOLVED]

Post by lizardidi »

I am a 'full-time' puppy linux user. ;p

My job required me to switch pcs often, and as I do not like to use the default Windoze OS, I usually just plug in my puppy pendrive, and boot puppy, then start working.

However, as my company start to 'modernise' the PCs, more and more UEFI PCs are replacing the old legacy bios PCs.

So now I faced a new problem: my time tested puppy pendrive suddenly become unfit to boot in those new uefi machines. I know, i know, I can create a specific UEFI puppy to boot in UEFI machines. But, just wonder, is there a way, to create a bootable puppy pendrive that boot in both Legacy and UEFI mode?

Edit 08.12.2020:
Thank you all for taking time to read, think and typing replies trying to help me. Both method (1. by Jafadmin, 2. frugalpup way) works. If you choose to use the frugalpup, please refer to the how-to-step-by-step guide posted by @bigpup below. I tested the puppy pendrive on both Legacy and UEFI mode, all worked very well.
Again, thanks!!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Last edited by lizardidi on Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
foxpup

Re: Is it possible, to create a Puppy pendrive which boots in both Legacy and UEFI mode???

Post by foxpup »

frugalpup will do it for you

Jafadmin

Re: Is it possible, to create a Puppy pendrive which boots in both Legacy and UEFI mode???

Post by Jafadmin »

Yeah,, I posted a "howto" on the old site: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117536

The only caveat is that for a puppy version to be able to boot on a uefi box, it must be uefi capable to begin with. Most newer puppies will do it.

They will all boot on a legacy bios box.

Last edited by Jafadmin on Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
lizardidi

Post by lizardidi »

@foxpup : Thanks. As i am just a ordinary puppy user without much understanding in linux installation/boot process, looking at the menu entry of frugalpup, and their helppage.... and the old forum thread... Still trying hard to understand.

@Jafadmin : Thanks for the instructions! In the process of experimenting your method.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

EasyOS is an image file that boots on either traditional BIOS or UEFI-firmware computers. It is not an ISO, it is an image with two partitions in it, a boot partition and a working partition -- Raspberry Pi people will be familiar with this.

EasyPup is an ISO, which also can boot on either traditional-BIOS or UEFI-BIOS.

The scripts can be found in my woofQ:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/project/woof/

The script that builds the EasyPup ISO is puppy/7build-puppy-cd -- it has got edited many times, and does need tidying up.
This will be a hybrid-ISO, that can be written to a USB-stick, and will boot on both types of BIOS. However, UEFI requires secure boot to be disabled. -- you will be better off looking at how the official pups do it, if you want secure boot enabled on the PC.

EDIT:
Just looked at jafadmin's instructions on the old forum, looks good, the best way to go I think, rather than try to decipher my scripts!

foxpup

Post by foxpup »

lizardidi wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:15 pm

@foxpup : Thanks. As i am just a ordinary puppy user without much understanding in linux installation/boot process, looking at the menu entry of frugalpup, and their helppage.... and the old forum thread... Still trying hard to understand.

Hmmm, frugalpup looks pretty straightforward to me.
Have you tried opening the chat when doing it, to check with someone on the puppy chat at freenode.
You may often find someone there that helps you along.

A tip:
If you do not want the hassle with secure boot and its keys, use frugalup 13
(or earlier, but maybe not too early, frugalpup 11 is still good).

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Using Frugalpup Installer to install on a USB stick
Make sure it is Frugalpup v20.
viewtopic.php?f=105&t=337
Fossapup64 9.5 already has Frugalpup Installer in it.

Use Gparted program.
Setup the USB stick with 2 partitions.
First one, small 300MB, fat32 format, flagged boot. (location for boot loader files, boot partition)
Rest of drive, whatever other partition(s), but one ext3 or 4 format. (location to put frugal installs)
(this is UEFI standard requirement, and some computers, look for a fat32 partition, for boot loader files)

Run Frugalpup Installer main program.
On the main window are selection buttons.
Select the Puppy button, to do the install.
Go through install process, selecting to install to the ext formatted partition.

Note:
When selecting the partition to install to.
A window pops up, giving option to make a directory, to put the frugal install in.
I make this directory and usually name it, the name of the Puppy version.
Carefully read that windows info.
Press enter, makes the directory, not the OK button.

complete the install.

When it gets back to the main Frugalpup window.
Select the boot button.
Select the location of the frugal install, on the USB stick.
Select the small 300MB partition on the USB stick, as location to install the boot loader. (may need to scroll the selection window)
Select the boot loader type.
UEFI
mbr ->legacy bios boot
both

You can install the UEFI for UEFI computers, mbr for legacy bios computers, or both, to boot anything.

The UEFI will also install the needed files, to support secure boot enabled in UEFI.

When you first boot the USB stick, on a UEFI computer, with secure boot enabled.
A process will start, to allow you to install the Puppy security key, to the computer.
It will add this Puppy key, to the other ones, loaded on the computer.

Note:
Not all UEFI computers are the same, for booting from a USB stick.
Some may require secure boot disabled, CSM enabled, or legacy boot enabled, to be able to boot from a USB stick.
So, for those computers.
The mbr boot loader will work, because the UEFI bios, is basically in, legacy bios operation.

To put more frugal installs on the same USB stick.
Do the complete process again, for the new Puppy version.
When you run the boot loader install.
It will make entries, for all installs it finds, on the USB drive.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

You do understand that to boot on a UEFI computer with secure boot enabled.
A Puppy security key has to be installed on the computer?
You probably need to check with whoever controls the company computers.
If they allow installing security keys from a different OS, than the one on the computer.

My job required me to switch pcs often, and as I do not like to use the default Windoze OS, I usually just plug in my puppy pendrive, and boot puppy, then start working.

Most companies do not allow this, but I guess yours does.
Using Puppy like this. You have total control of the computer and are not a restricted user.
Like most users of Windows on company computers.
Usually they only allow the company computer tech department have total control.

Forum Global Moderator

lizardidi

Post by lizardidi »

bigpup wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:16 am

Most companies do not allow this, but I guess yours does.
Using Puppy like this. You have total control of the computer and are not a restricted user.
Like most users of Windows on company computers.
Usually they only allow the company computer tech department have total control.

Thats right @bigpup ! :)
I hate especially when I tell a Winxxx machine to shutdown, it ask me to wait till the update finish. I think i am too used to be a root/sudo user after all this days with puppy.

I created 2 pendrive using methods by @Jafadmin and the frugalpup way. Will test both pendrive for few days then decide which to go.

@BarryK Thank you for giving me a reply! It is my honor to hv tips fr the "Creator". EasyPup is one of my collections in my pendrive.
:D

Jarrett

Post by Jarrett »

The standard Frugal Puppy Installer will allow you to boot in either mode.
BigPup has outlined the steps above.
You don't need anything else.
There are a couple of things you need to watch out for though.
Your puppy needs to be updated to get the Frugal Pup Installer. The ISO (for Bionic Pup at least) doesn't come with the new installer.
It is easy to place the boot files in the wrong partition when the option presents itself. You can install the boot files and the system files in one partition and for me it worked. Better to have the boot files in the 300 mb partition.

Another point that seems like it may be relevant to newer machines is the type of partition you make for the system files. Ext 2, Ext 3 and Ext 4 have different capabilities; they are not the same. Don't use Ext 2, or 3 for modern machines. Use Ext 4 for both system files and save files. I've found this works best. Use Fat 32 for the boot partition.

I've got Bionic Pup 64 on a couple of flash drives. I too needed a portable OS that would work on a range of computers.
You will have problems getting a flash drive Puppy to boot on some modern machines running UEFI and Windows 10. The problem is it is not easy to access the BIOS on such machines without having a password. It can be done but it requires a bit of research.
This is important because some people usinng Win 10 do not know how to access the BIOS on their machines.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

The problem is it is not easy to access the BIOS on such machines without having a password. It can be done but it requires a bit of research.
This is important because some people usinng Win 10 do not know how to access the BIOS on their machines.

If you use Frugalpup Installer and install the UEFI or both boot loaders.
You should not need to make any changes to the computers UEFI.
Unless it has a UEFI that will not boot from USB without making changes.
Usually, just as computer starts, a specific key will bring up a boot device list, you can choose from.
F7, F9, F11, etc...... up to the computer, what it uses.
My computer F11.

Forum Global Moderator

Return to “Beginners Help”