Unoficial SS-Control 2.3

Moderator: Forum moderators

AntonioPt

Unoficial SS-Control 2.3

Post by AntonioPt »

Hello everyone,

So in January i decide to exam this app and see if i could make some updates,cleaning,... to it, what i did and this is what i change.

Remove the falling files
images -> satus-off.svg status-on.svg and status.svg
scripts -> func, preferences and change ss-on or ss-off to ss-status in startup
Layout
Add screen saver icon and status image to left while buttons to the right and remove delay button and add it in to the main window text of Timeout x minutes and add explanation all so
ADD:
Functions
function to generate status.svg
function to activate and disable
and a few days ago i improve it with my new template "could be a bit buggy" but its a start :D
Can't not forget the big Help from @KuLuSz and time he spend with me

@radky since this is your app all so please feel free to let me know what you think,...
r amethyst
Today with all the datathat i collect i made more update
@rockedge and @amethyst time interval set to 1 :)
i all so Organize a bit more the code and add more Var to check gtk version to see if i can get a solution for FONT
I all so set window width default WIN_W=400, H1=30 and height 250
H1 == height of final Data will be store and 30 because its the error mess and since its a small text dont need to worrie but when everything is ok then WIN_H=$((380-(${WIN_B}*2))) H1="150".
Fixe my type erros Tag wrap in this case thxx to @MochiMoppel who saw this error maybe that could fix issue @mikewalsh i set width-chars="50" can you change to see if text stays inside container ? im gonna leave for now my echos and trying to see if i can come with a better solution if text dosent fix better and finaly a add some more comment so that i have a clue what im doing wrong,... and gonna try to run in other pcs and size to see if i can come with a better solution :D

here it goes a preview in my machine

in attach the my new version
just remove fake.gz and give premitions to run.

Attachments
sscontrol.fake.gz
(11.78 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Screenshot(4).png
Screenshot(4).png (32.75 KiB) Viewed 525 times
Screenshot(3).png
Screenshot(3).png (26.49 KiB) Viewed 525 times
Last edited by AntonioPt on Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Why astronauts use Linux
Because you can't open windows in space

AntonioPt

Re: Unoficial SS-Control 2.3

Post by AntonioPt »

Hello all i just made a new update in to Screen Saver Control Hope it helps,...

Unoficial SS-Control 2.3

Attachments
Screenshot(6).png
Screenshot(6).png (26.22 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
Screenshot(5).png
Screenshot(5).png (33.76 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
Screenshot(4).png
Screenshot(4).png (33.63 KiB) Viewed 1293 times

Why astronauts use Linux

AntonioPt

Post by AntonioPt »

and this is the code hope it helps and pleases those who made it first

remove fake.gz set execute permissions for the script and run it if you see that is 100% jus put it in to /usr/local/sscontrol

Thankyou all

Last edited by AntonioPt on Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Why astronauts use Linux

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Thanks for working on this.
Any improvements are good to have!

Best for everyone if you attach the code download to the first post.

If you make any updates to it.

Replace it in the first post with the new version.

Latest version of the software, being able to download from the first post, just makes it easy to find.

This topic could get into many pages of posts.
Trying to look in a bunch of posts for the latest version. Well, who wants to do that :thumbdown: :roll: :D

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@AntonioPt :-

I like what you've done. Kudos! I do, however, have an "observation" to make.....

When putting together something like this - or, as in this case, modifying existing code - you CANNOT automatically assume that all users have 100% perfect eyesight, and always run with default, OOTB settings.

Not everybody falls into this category, y'know? It's an easy trap to fall into; I did it myself, years ago, when I first began building apps. Personally, I prefer to use YAD, because it always expands to contain whatever you put inside the window...

Me, I'm in my 60s. I've had crap eyesight since I was about 5 yrs old.....and as I get older, it continues to gradually deteriorate. To counteract this, I run a higher DPI than normal; 102, sometimes 108, instead of the standard 96 DPI. Doesn't sound a very big increase, I know.....but it's enough, so that when apps are coded with a FIXED WINDOW SIZE, they don't expand to accommodate the larger font size (and hence, bigger text). So, some of the text gets "cut off"....

Just thought it was worth mentioning! :)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

AntonioPt

Post by AntonioPt »

mikewalsh wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:41 am

I like what you've done. Kudos! I do, however, have an "observation" to make.....

When putting together something like this - or, as in this case, modifying existing code - you CANNOT automatically assume that all users have 100% perfect eyesight, and always run with default, OOTB settings.

Not everybody falls into this category, y'know? It's an easy trap to fall into; I did it myself, years ago, when I first began building apps. Personally, I prefer to use YAD, because it always expands to contain whatever you put inside the window...

Me, I'm in my 60s. I've had crap eyesight since I was about 5 yrs old.....and as I get older, it continues to gradually deteriorate. To counteract this, I run a higher DPI than normal; 102, sometimes 108, instead of the standard 96 DPI. Doesn't sound a very big increase, I know.....but it's enough, so that when apps are coded with a FIXED WINDOW SIZE, they don't expand to accommodate the larger font size (and hence, bigger text). So, some of the text gets "cut off"....

Just thought it was worth mentioning! :)

Mike. ;)

Hello Mike, first of all thank you for your kind words and observation :D that i really appreciate.
Well you are only 10 years ahead so maybe i will catch you soon :)

Yes i notice the some issue when it comes to Text actually that's why i test it in many puppy's as possible so yes i will keep that in mind for future projects/updates,... because now i get it better when you mention if people use font size bigger it will create an issue again so in other words or i use YAD or i have to improve "with extra code" to feet container.

I didn't use other external app, in this case YAD since my idea was to use only GTK windows and to honest im still in the process of learning and YAD i don't know much yet so....
P.S. what it means Kudos ??? got curious :D im guessing is kid but :D

Last edited by AntonioPt on Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Why astronauts use Linux

AntonioPt

Post by AntonioPt »

bigpup wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:19 pm

Latest version of the software, being able to download from the first post, just makes it easy to find.

Trying to look in a bunch of posts for the latest version. Well, who wants to do that :thumbdown: :roll: :D

hello bigpup, thank you for all gonna update 1 post with all i did since this version is shorter and different "layout in this case"

Why astronauts use Linux

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

AntonioPt wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:03 am

P.S. what it means Kudos ??? got curious :D im guessing is kid but :D

Kudos means, quite simply, "Credit where credit is due". In other words, full marks for making the effort. Well done! :) (We ALL had to start somewhere,so.....no apologies are needed.)

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/kudos

English is often confusing .....especially when it's not your first language. And "Kudos" is not an English word, anyway; it originally comes from the Greek language. English - modern English, especially - "borrows" a LOT of words from other languages.... :roll:

(I'll be perfectly honest with you. Some of @radky 's code confuses the hell out of me; like all those letters and numbers in lines 30-33? I haven't the faintest idea what all those are doing... :?

I, too, still have much to learn, though it looks to me like a lot of Roger's code is all safeguards. Essentially, he's just "covering all the bases", and making sure the code will work with every possible combination of software. He's being "thorough"! :D

Which, again, deserves "kudos"..!)

Mike. ;)

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Don't know if it has been implemented but at one stage I changed some code (for personal use) to make the time interval in increments of 1 minute instead of 5 minutes as it was before (or still is). Maybe something useful that can be implemented? Edit: I see in the one I got in Fossa9.6CE that is has been done, so good. :thumbup:

AntonioPt

Post by AntonioPt »

amethyst wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:08 am

Don't know if it has been implemented but at one stage I changed some code (for personal use) to make the time interval in increments of 1 minute instead of 5 minutes as it was before (or still is). Maybe something useful that can be implemented? Edit: I see in the one I got in Fossa9.6CE that is has been done, so good. :thumbup:

About to update small detail :)

Why astronauts use Linux

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

@AntonioPt Which of radky's scripts did you modify? I can't find the original script and therefore can't figure out which part of your script is your modification and which is radky's original.

The script looks OK in GTK3 but shows problems described by @mikewalsh when run with gtk2dialog. Fixing it is tricky. As a workaround you could make the window resizable. Currently the window can not be resized because you (?) centered it with $GTKDIALOG -pc MAIN_GUI. Though the window attribute resizable="true" has been added it has no effect when a window is centered.

There are some spelling mistakes in your code. warp="true" , appears more than once, should rather be wrap="true". No negative or positive effects though. Gtkdialog ignores misspelled attributes and wrap is true by default, so not needed anyway.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@MochiMoppel / @AntonioPt :-

Okay, guys. This is what's tidied up the display for me.

Screen resolution - 1920x1080 (22" screen)
DPI - set to 102
Pinboard & 'global' Font - Exo 2 medium 14

I made a few mods to the script for my personal use, which I'll detail below. Bear in mind this won't necessarily look the same for anybody else, since it depends a lot on screen res, DPI in use, font type & size in use, etc, etc.

Lines 133 & 134 - the 'Default window size' now read as below (I've re-jigged the dimensions to work with my font) :-

Code: Select all

WIN_H="$((500-(${WIN_B}*2)))" # need to remove 5 from top and bottom to make 300 in this example
WIN_W="$((360-(${WIN_B}*2)))" # need to remove 5 from left and right to make 450 in this example

Line 137 now reads like this:-

APP_DISCRIPTION="$(gettext "SS-Control blanks the screen, and
enables DPMS (Power Save Mode)
for Energy-Star displays and video
cards.The activation delays below
are for screen blanking and DPMS.")"

.....and line 148 has been altered to match the dimension in line 133 above :-

WIN_H="$((500-(${WIN_B}*2)))" H1="0"

Works for me.....but probably needed doing 'cos my kennels are full of cobbled-together Frankenpups! :oops:

(Given that I use the exact same font, global font size, ROX 'pinboard' font size AND DPI settings across the 'kennels', to me it made more sense to modify the script directly rather than simply remove the '-c' attribute to make it resizeable. This way, if I get it looking how I want it in one Puppy, it should look the same in every Puppy.....and being self-contained, it'll act as a nice drop-in replacement. Sweet!)

Mike. ;)

AntonioPt

Post by AntonioPt »

MochiMoppel wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:12 pm

@AntonioPt Which of radky's scripts did you modify? I can't find the original script and therefore can't figure out which part of your script is your modification and which is radky's original.

The script looks OK in GTK3 but shows problems described by @mikewalsh when run with gtk2dialog. Fixing it is tricky. As a workaround you could make the window resizable. Currently the window can not be resized because you (?) centered it with $GTKDIALOG -pc MAIN_GUI. Though the window attribute resizable="true" has been added it has no effect when a window is centered.

There are some spelling mistakes in your code. warp="true" , appears more than once, should rather be wrap="true". No negative or positive effects though. Gtkdialog ignores misspelled attributes and wrap is true by default, so not needed anyway.

Hello @MochiMoppel ScreenSaver Control 2.2 (radky) this is the original script and i made huge changes like i try to explain the best way i could in the 1 post.

Regarding the misspelling thankyou didnt notice :d this is why i screw up a bit but in my template im hoping to fix that :)

"and wrap is true by default, so not needed anyway." <-- this is one of my big chanlage since at the begin of my jorney in BASHELL :D i noticie some code in diferente puppies some gtkdialog window allways screw up and "wasnt because of font" my view any way thats why i add wrap=true in some cases when i can gonna do a dummy script and then print in difrent puppies to see the difrences
the option pc in my understanding means only window center not Text or ... :geek:

"Though the window attribute resizable="true" has been added it has no effect when a window is centered." <--- another funnything for me that dosent make no sence sine what as the window center as to do with resize later ? get it my point ? but thankyou for explaing,... :)

Why astronauts use Linux

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

I'm no expert on some of what you've said above, but I've got the impression, over the years, that many devs - when writing/coding libraries - often make certain functions temporarily "over-ride" others in the same library WHEN USED IN A CERTAIN WAY. You'd have to ask the individual developer why they decide to implement things the way they do.

Such things often make no sense to the individual user, but you'd probably find there IS "method in the madness" if & when you look into it further....

(*shrug...*)

Mike. ;)

AntonioPt

Post by AntonioPt »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:03 pm

@MochiMoppel / @AntonioPt :-

Okay, guys. This is what's tidied up the display for me.

Screen resolution - 1920x1080 (22" screen)
DPI - set to 102
Pinboard & 'global' Font - Exo 2 medium 14

I made a few mods to the script for my personal use, which I'll detail below. Bear in mind this won't necessarily look the same for anybody else, since it depends a lot on screen res, DPI in use, font type & size in use, etc, etc.

Lines 133 & 134 - the 'Default window size' now read as below (I've re-jigged the dimensions to work with my font) :-

WIN_H="$((500-(${WIN_B}*2)))" # need to remove 5 from top and bottom to make 300 in this example
WIN_W="$((360-(${WIN_B}*2)))" # need to remove 5 from left and right to make 450 in this example

Line 137 now reads like this:-

APP_DISCRIPTION="$(gettext "SS-Control blanks the screen, and
enables DPMS (Power Save Mode)
for Energy-Star displays and video
cards.The activation delays below
are for screen blanking and DPMS.")"

.....and line 148 has been altered to match the dimension in line 133 above :-

WIN_H="$((500-(${WIN_B}*2)))" H1="0"

Works for me.....but probably needed doing 'cos my kennels are full of cobbled-together Frankenpups! :oops:

Mike. ;)

Hello again @mikewalsh thankyou again for all since i screw up with misspelling of the tags "in this case" wrap, can you try it my old version if you still have it to see if you dont have to mess with size :D
i have a few laptops and one of them is 1024x570 so i toke in considuration de minimal size let say 800x600 even tho im not checking in this script user screen size

i was trying to avoid the way you remaster my var "APP_DISCRIPTION=" but looks that is the best solution .
kind a remind me when i made code in mysql + php and have to add \n to break the line hahaha
about the other vars "window sizes" gonna check all so but for now gonna leave it like it is even tho i put it a note for your case
by the way here is goes a preview in 1024x576

Attachments
Screenshot(1).png
Screenshot(1).png (308.67 KiB) Viewed 606 times

Why astronauts use Linux

AntonioPt

Post by AntonioPt »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:20 pm

I'm no expert on some of what you've said above, but I've got the impression, over the years, that many devs - when writing/coding libraries - often make certain functions temporarily "over-ride" others in the same library WHEN USED IN A CERTAIN WAY. You'd have to ask the individual developer why they decide to implement things the way they do.

Such things often make no sense to the individual user, but you'd probably find there IS "method in the madness" if & when you look into it further....

(*shrug...*)

Mike. ;)

hahaha yeah i get it what you mean :D this is why i get lost with some stuff hehehe because they speak as html and i as a php DEV i didnt have to go trouth all this hehehe but let see if i can do a "perfect template" in order to overcome all this issues :D

Why astronauts use Linux

AntonioPt

Post by AntonioPt »

bigpup wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:19 pm

Don't thank me its a honor to help if i can :) who have to thank is me with all your hard work for this beauty

Why astronauts use Linux

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I wanted to set the blanking delay to 7 minutes but realized only five minute increments are possible.

AntonioPt

Post by AntonioPt »

rockedge wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:39 pm

I wanted to set the blanking delay to 7 minutes but realized only five minute increments are possible.

Hi @rockedge you are correct since it was by default but im working now width all info i gather so far to improve it and later i will share it all changes

Why astronauts use Linux

AntonioPt

Post by AntonioPt »

@MochiMoppel @rockedge @mikewalsh @bigpup @amethyst changes made change all please test it,... apreciated

Why astronauts use Linux

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

AntonioPt wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:02 pm

Hello @MochiMoppel ScreenSaver Control 2.2 (radky) this is the original script and i made huge changes like i try to explain the best way i could in the 1 post.

My question was: Where can I find the original "ScreenSaver Control 2.2 (radky)"? I can't find it. A link, please.

"Though the window attribute resizable="true" has been added it has no effect when a window is centered." <--- another funnything for me that dosent make no sence sine what as the window center as to do with resize later ? get it my point ?

I get your point and I agree with you. But that's what it is. Try another funny thing: Move the window (at least this works :lol: ), then try to resize it and see what happens.

AntonioPt

Post by AntonioPt »

MochiMoppel wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:39 am
AntonioPt wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:02 pm

My question was: Where can I find the original "ScreenSaver Control 2.2 (radky)"? I can't find it. A link, please.

"Though the window attribute resizable="true" has been added it has no effect when a window is centered." <--- another funnything for me that dosent make no sence sine what as the window center as to do with resize later ? get it my point ?

I get your point and I agree with you. But that's what it is. Try another funny thing: Move the window (at least this works :lol: ), then try to resize it and see what happens.

I grab it from fossapup

Why astronauts use Linux

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

AntonioPt wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:40 am

I grab it from fossapup

"fossapup" doesn't answer my question. Never mind. Newest version is 3.1, contained in BW64.

I'm puzzled by the spinbutton value. Please make sure that, when starting the dialog, the delay listed in the spinbutton matches the currently set delay. You hardcoded it to always display 10 minutes.

ss.jpg
ss.jpg (38.57 KiB) Viewed 432 times
AntonioPt

Post by AntonioPt »

Hello @MochiMoppel how are you? hope all good

Ok notice that Bookworm has a new version called DisplayControl with sscontrol in it but still i don't get it where you get 20 when i just download iso and run it in my VM and the result i got was 10 :? :shock: but anyway that's not the issue or the big deal :D

My apologizes for not making my self clear or explain my self better gonna try my best next time :)

For me as a user and member of this gr8 family is hard to keep up with all the good work that you all do,... lucky since i spend sometime in irc and Discord i found @KuLuSz who has time to help me every time i asking him a "Stupid question" :D and since my main OS is fossapup and lunarpup for some of my old machines that i got it here so what i decide to do was, analyze all the scripts that this 2 puppys have and update them in to my OS since im able to remaster them and all so trying to make a better Portuguese Lang Pack "PT-pt" since its my main language so this is way i called it unofficial version in the first place and since i manager to clean this app and avoid having multiple files "since i hate it and this is me only" but anyway a really thank you all your input,... other wise how can we improve anything ?

here it goes a print view of bookworm64
P.S. Is any specific place to see all updates ? since i all so notice every single version that comes out have new and old stuff in it so ... :D
anyway enough of talking and have a gr8 weekend and talk soon

Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (196.71 KiB) Viewed 380 times

Why astronauts use Linux

AntonioPt

Post by AntonioPt »

hello all, a few days ago i realize that i wasn't saving settings in right place, so a created a folder for it in $HOME/.config/sscontrol i all so add a var for it.

i all so add a yad function with button explain what this app does since if User font/size is different it may cut the text,...

@mikewalsh @MochiMoppel @rockedge @amethyst @bigpup

Attachments
Screenshot(1).png
Screenshot(1).png (367.02 KiB) Viewed 239 times

Why astronauts use Linux

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Something to think about in making default time setting.

When it was first developed to have a simple screen saver for Puppy Linux.

There was much talk about having it set to on, when you first boot up Puppy, and if so, how long should it be set by default, before it activates.

There were some Puppy releases that had it set to on by default, when you first started running the Puppy OS. It would takeover the display if no activity in 10 minutes.

Some that had it set to off by default and you had to choose to have it active.

10 minute default time setting seemed to make everyone happy.

So that became the standard default time setting, when you first run the program to change any settings.

Example:
BookwormPup64 first boot has the screen saver enabled and set to activate at 10 minutes of no activity.
It does exactly that, if you do not do some movement with the cursor.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

AntonioPt

Post by AntonioPt »

I set it 10 if file doesn't exist "Line 128" like the original script the only thing with my version is that aint 100% compatible with bookworm64 version called DisplayControl

Why astronauts use Linux

Return to “Utilities”