How to Use Spot?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

JusGellin

How to Use Spot?

Post by JusGellin »

Is there some instruction on what Spot is for and how to use it?
Thanks

Chelsea80

Re: How to Use Spot

Post by Chelsea80 »

@JusGellin

Does this help -

To use the "spot" user in Puppy Linux, you can follow these steps based on the information from provided sources:

Understanding Spot User in Puppy Linux:
In Puppy Linux, "spot" is a restricted user account that allows you to run certain Internet applications with reduced permissions, enhancing security

The home directory for the "spot" user is typically located at /root/spot, and applications like SeaMonkey will be limited to editing files within this directory

Running Applications as Spot:
To run applications as the "spot" user, you can create a script that switches to the "spot" user context and then executes the desired application

This script ensures that the application runs under the restricted permissions of the "spot" user, enhancing security .while using certain programs

Benefits of Using Spot:
Running applications as "spot" provides a layer of security by limiting access to system resources and reducing the impact of potential security vulnerabilities in network programs

By using "spot," you can enjoy a balance between having full access to your local system and restricted access for Internet-related activities

Considerations:
It is recommended not to run the desktop environment as "spot" for security reasons. Instead, if you need a non-privileged user, consider creating a new user like "fido"

Puppy Linux is designed for users who prefer exclusive use of their computer and want to minimize hassles while maintaining control over their system

By following these guidelines, you can effectively utilize the "spot" user in Puppy Linux to enhance security when running specific applications while maintaining control over your system resources.
To switch between the root and spot users in Puppy Linux, you typically boot up as the root user and then choose to run specific Internet applications as the restricted user spot. Here's how you can do it based on the information from provided sources:

Booting as Root:
When you start Puppy Linux, you boot up in the normal way as the root user, which gives you total access to everything on your system

Running Applications as Spot:
While booted as root, you have the option to run certain Internet applications as the restricted user spot, providing a layer of security for these specific programs

By running applications as spot, you can enjoy the benefits of having unfettered access to your local system while restricting access for Internet-related activities

Switching Users:
To switch between running applications as root and spot, you can use the Login and Security Manager in the System menu of Puppy Linux

This allows you to choose which applications you want to run under the spot user context, ensuring that they operate with restricted permissions for enhanced security

By following these steps, you can effectively switch between running applications as the root user with full access and as the spot user with restricted permissions in Puppy Linux, balancing security and system control based on your needs.

Perhaps another Forum Member can be more succinct-

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

1. BionicPup32+28 19.03 - Linux 4.9.163 - lxpup - 32-pae [i686] - (UPup Bionic Beaver)
....Frugal Install - Internal HDD - Gateway MX8716b - HDD 120GB - RAM 2GB

2. Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
....USB Stick 2GB

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@JusGellin :-

Read this for starters, and then we can expand further if required:-

https://bkhome.org/archive/puppylinux/t ... l/root.htm

This explains the principle behind user "spot".

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

in more modern Puppy Linux variants the spot user is located in /home/spot with a symlink in /root.

Most Linux distros use a multi-user system, where most of the time a user other than root are primarily used. If familiar with Microsoft Windows, there is an Administer user and other users that are mostly logged into. It is like that in a way.

spot is a user that simulates a multi-user environment since Puppy Linux was designed to be a single user system which makes sense then being logged in as root.

JusGellin

Post by JusGellin »

Thanks to all of you for directing me. I think I now understand the concept better.

I saw a readme.txt in the spot folder that showed me how to logon as spot
#su spot
Then I brought up Firefox.

Once I'm in Firefox is there any way to show if I am now user spot?
Also, if I log off (#exit) and back to root while still having Firefox up, will Firefox still be using the user Spot?
Thanks again.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

JusGellin wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:01 pm

Thanks to all of you for directing me. I think I now understand the concept better.

I saw a readme.txt in the spot folder that showed me how to logon as spot
#su spot

Better use "run-as-spot" , it's designed for it, so then: run-as-spot firefox

Also, if I log off (#exit) and back to root while still having Firefox up, will Firefox still be using the user Spot?

Yes.

JusGellin

Post by JusGellin »

I tried run-as-spot firefox but nothing came up.
I'm using BookwormPup64.

Or should I bring Firefox up after running that command?

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

JusGellin wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:39 pm

I tried run-as-spot firefox but nothing came up.
I'm using BookwormPup64.

Or should I bring Firefox up after running that command?

Well, sorry, I didn't realize that firefox has some special setup in BookwormPup64 (that I don't understand btw)
Perhaps run-as-spot firefox-esr ? If not, someone else may help better.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Once I'm in Firefox is there any way to show if I am now user spot?

try downloading something small using this instance of Firefox. The downloaded file should land in /home/spot/Downloads.

If it does then Firefox is running as the spot user. If the file lands in /root/Downloads it is not

OR open htop from the menu. Use F4 to activate the htop filter and enter firefox and check what user it is running under or scroll up and down looking at the command column find firefox and look at the user column and see which it is.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@JusGellin
When you wrote:

#su spot

I thought you typed firefox after su spot, so like:
# su spot
# firefox
But now I think you did launch firefox another way (not in that terminal).
If I type firefox in console in Bookwormpup, I get command not found (you too, I guess)

Did some digging and found out now where firefox is located, it is: /opt/FirefoxESR-portable64/firefox64/firefox (portable setup)
So, this should work to run firefox "as-spot":
run-as-spot /opt/FirefoxESR-portable64/firefox64/firefox
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: just my opinion, it's not a good setup on BookwormPup, I think just "firefox" should be executable from commandline.
It will be if firefox is installed with apt: apt install firefox and then also works: run-as-spot firefox
(but this is besides the subject)

JusGellin

Post by JusGellin »

You're right. I started firefox from the lower panel instead.
I haven't had a chance like @rockedge said to see if a download goes to /home/spot/Downloads
Then if this isn't working I'll uninstall firefox and use apt to reinstall it to see what happens.
Thanks

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

fredx181 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:28 pm

EDIT: just my opinion, it's not a good setup on BookwormPup, I think just "firefox" should be executable from commandline.

Heh, I agree; I'd no idea a 'portable' version was in use (albeit in an 'odd' location, and with the older launcher). Easy 'fix' though; sym-link 'LAUNCH' into /usr/bin, then rename it to just' firefox'.

Then it'll start from the terminal...

(*shrug...*)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

JusGellin

Post by JusGellin »

Mike,
I'm such a newbee!
I don't know how to do this:
Easy 'fix' though; sym-link 'LAUNCH' into /usr/bin, then rename it to just' firefox'.
Thanks

radky

Post by radky »

@JusGellin

Currently, the BW64 menu entry for 'Firefox ESR' calls /usr/bin/firefox_esr which is a symlink to /opt/FirefoxESR-portable64/LAUNCH.

If you prefer a menu entry to run Firefox as a restricted user (spot), you could create a simple desktop file.

Run the following in a terminal:

Code: Select all

echo '[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Firefox ESR (run as spot)
Comment=Run Firefox browser as restricted user (spot)
Exec=run-as-spot /opt/FirefoxESR-portable64/firefox64/firefox 2>/dev/null
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/firefox_esr.png
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Categories=X-Internet-browser' > /usr/share/applications/firefox_esr_run_as_spot.desktop

1 - In a few seconds the new Firefox option will appear in the menu:

Menu -> Internet -> Firefox ESR (run as spot)

2 - After launching Firefox, you can confirm the user status (spot) of firefox-bin by going to Menu -> System -> Btop++

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:44 pm
fredx181 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:28 pm

Heh, I agree; I'd no idea a 'portable' version was in use (albeit in an 'odd' location, and with the older launcher). Easy 'fix' though; sym-link 'LAUNCH' into /usr/bin, then rename it to just' firefox'.

Then it'll start from the terminal...

(*shrug...*)

Mike. ;)

That has the disadvantage that the command in the LAUNCH script points to a profile directory inside the portable Firefox dir. which is probably owned by root, so running firefox (LAUNCH) as spot will fail then.
(I think, didn't test though)
edit;
@JusGellin Just follow what radky wrote and you have Firefox running as spot in the Menu.

JusGellin

Post by JusGellin »

:thumbup: Success :thumbup:
First I tried it running Firefox with the command, run-as-spot /opt/FirefoxESR-portable64/firefox64/firefox and made sure it downloaded to the proper place /home/spot/Downloads
Then I ran the commands to place it in the menu and also checked it would download properly - it did. Used htop and btop to verify it was run as user spot.
This was great to learn how this can be done and why it is provided as well.
Thanks to all of you.

JusGellin

Post by JusGellin »

@radky
That's a pretty impressive way to make a menu item using echo commands to desktop name.

JusGellin

Re: How to Use Spot?

Post by JusGellin »

Ok, I see how good it is to run a browser using spot since it is going out on the internet.
Should Thunderbird mail use spot as well?
Thanks

Return to “Beginners Help”