Posting defaults not being applied

Ideas and discussion

user1234

Posting defaults not being applied

Post by user1234 »

@rockedge,

The issue: Option Markdown while posting automatically gets disabled, even though I have enabled markdown in posting defaults.

Explanation:
These are my posting defaults from UCP > Board preferences > Edit posting defaults:

Screenshot_20240324_190507.png
Screenshot_20240324_190507.png (29.9 KiB) Viewed 330 times

But, while posting, I automatically get these options:

Screenshot_20240324_190529.png
Screenshot_20240324_190529.png (24.74 KiB) Viewed 330 times

If I remember correctly, this didn't happen a few days back.

I would love that this issue be resolved.

Many, many thanks :thumbup:!

PuppyLinux 🐾 gives new life to old computers ✨

Wiz57

Re: Posting defaults not being applied

Post by Wiz57 »

Just a test post to confirm the report of settings not being applied correctly. user1234 is correct.
Wiz

Signature available upon request

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I had to change it because suddenly many many post were being displayed in markdown and not BBCode. This made very strange posts.

controlling the markdown selection from the user control panel turns markdown on or off. The markdown function could be controlled on a per post basis but to prevent markdown as being the default behavior on every post a user needs to remember to check the markdown box in the post otherwise markdown will be used.

Many users get confused by this. Now if I go into the user control panel and choose markdown by default yes, the option will appear on the posts but for that individual post it's now also on. That would also be for all the posts. If I select in the user control panel "No" then the option disappears completely for all posts globally. This is no good for me. I sometimes need markdown and most of the time I don't. SO I prefer the markdown option to be available on a per post basis...but starts off in the "Off" position. Once the UCP option is selected the markdown option disappears completely and I no longer can sometimes use markdown. I still want the option per post but this feature was not written into the original code. I added the this function.

If you need markdown in an individual post just uncheck it. Last week I spent HOURS trying to figure out why all the posts suddenly were so broken and found out that if I did the modification I could leave the markdown in the UCP selected as "Yes" which would give the option but have it start off disabled on the individual post.

With the modification, now in the UCP it can be turned off to completely hide the markdown from all posts, or have it enabled but begins in a post disabled for that post.

Does markdown work in your post when unchecked?

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

UCP = markdown -> Yes
enabled per post____________________________disabled per post__________________________UCP = markdown -> No

Screenshot(40).jpg
Screenshot(40).jpg (10.27 KiB) Viewed 262 times
Screenshot(41).jpg
Screenshot(41).jpg (8.85 KiB) Viewed 262 times
Screenshot(42).jpg
Screenshot(42).jpg (8.94 KiB) Viewed 258 times
user1234

Post by user1234 »

rockedge wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:58 pm

I had to change it because suddenly many many post were being displayed in markdown and not BBCode. This made very strange posts.

Is there any specific reason for that?

Does markdown work in your post when unchecked?

I use markdown in almost all of my posts, since hitting some know set of keys on your keyboard is much faster than moving the cursor to, for example the bold button, and then clicking it.

I can easily uncheck the option, but most of the times, I just forget. When I later on realize that the markdown is not being rendered, I find that unchecking that option through "Edit Post" does not work (I had to delete and repost a post due to the same reason).

Just saw the options again. Seems like "Disable Markdown" option is disabled now by default. (I like this default more than the previous one!)

If necessary, you can keep the defaults as they were earlier. It is just a matter of habit (of unchecking the option), which can be changed with time :thumbup:

PuppyLinux 🐾 gives new life to old computers ✨

Return to “Forum Organization & Structure Council”