Avidemux-portable - lightweight video trimmer/editor.....in 'portable' format

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Avidemux-portable - lightweight video trimmer/editor.....in 'portable' format

Post by mikewalsh »

Evening, gang.

don570 has recently posted about the newest release of Avidemux - v2.8.0 - in AppImage format. It works fine, but only in Bionicpup64 or newer (requires at least glibc 2.27). Well, you all know me; if I release anything, I like to try and make it available for as many Puppians as possible. I came across an AppImage for the previous release, v2.7.6, late last year - which works in all 64-bit Pups, as far back as Tahrpup.

At the time, I put it to one side, intending to do something with it, then promptly forgot all about it. It's not my personal favourite - that's Openshot - but, as mikeslr has stated on more than one occasion, it's a highly usable editor where no transcoding or similar manipulation is needed. Which is very true......and I have in fact used it myself on occasion, for 'simpler', more straight-forward projects. (I like the 'jog-wheel', too; useful!) And Don's post the other day reminded me of it, so.....

--------------------------------------

Here, then, is a 64-bit Puppy-portable of Avidemux v2.7.6, fully self-contained as are all the portables. You can run it from anywhere you like - even a flash drive - and add a MenuEntry if required. Or not, as it suits.

If interested, you can find it here:-

https://mega.nz/folder/rC4W0BLA#fXwj5gf40l5M8Hmxqflwlg

D/l; unzip; place anywhere you like.....preferably, outside the 'save'. Click to enter, click 'LAUNCH' to fire it up. Or add a menu entry; the 'MenuReadMe' explains the procedure.

Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

April

Re: Avidemux-portable - lightweight video trimmer/editor.....in 'portable' format

Post by April »

Ain't MEGA a great free site.!
Wanting to have a look Mike ,What am I doing wrong ?
Had a look anyway .Works well Finally I can remove that Sportsbet shit that comes down with my torrents!
Bloody brilliant so far Mike!

Code: Select all

root# ls
Avidemux276-portable64.tar.gz  Avidemux276-portable64.tar.gz.md5
root# md5sum Avidemux276-portable64.tar.gz Avidemux276-portable64.tar.gz.md5
fb6564e007f70d729a70c9d0213951b8  Avidemux276-portable64.tar.gz
e07e2fbed228c78f06c5fc9e34297588  Avidemux276-portable64.tar.gz.md5
root# 

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

April

Re: Avidemux-portable - lightweight video trimmer/editor.....in 'portable' format

Post by April »

Did you work out the difference in md5 sums Mike?

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

April

Fixed

Post by April »

[FIXED] My error

When I load a movie into Avidemux it is maybe a 2 hour movie but only 18 minutes loads in and can be played /edited etc . Then if I save that the rest of the movie is lost .

That means it won't do what I want it for , to cut rubbish out of movies that idiots have inserted into it to advertise their gambling shit.

Why does it not load the whole movie in?

Last edited by April on Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ferretgrandpa

Post by ferretgrandpa »

I have an HP 15 laptop running Bionicpup64 v8, most of my apps are runing outside of 'Save' and while I still have a 7 gb save fille (think Wine, Google Earth and a few other memory hogs). I have Avidemux runing on appimage, I downloaded the 'Portable' and ran it, seems to pretty work well.

Since you have a problem with the larger files, I loaded up a few different shows, most in the 1:40 hour bracket and had no issues with editing and resaving. I think you may be using a too small of a work area, I've got 14 gb of open space on my drive (a 32 GB flash drive), When I have a 2 hour broadcast download it can be 6 or 7 GB, before I start any editing .

Way back in the old days I was in the print trade and did a lot of Photoshop work. If the image I had to work was 80 mb, then I needed 3x that, I had to have 240 mb minimum open space, if it was a complex (more than simple color adjustment) I'd need much more, learned to 'save as you go' quite early.

The only issue I have with this Portable is that it doesn't seem to save preferences.

Tom

April

Post by April »

.I think you might be right there. Thanks Tom .

Any idea where it uses for a work area? and how to give it more . I also am working outside the savefile and have many gigabytes more than the movie size available.

Looking around I found a config directory in the main software which seems to set stuff like""saveprefsonexit" : true," in config3 directory so Ill mess a bit with that.

Did so and nothing seems to affect the length loaded but you know the first movie I loaded I'm pretty sure loaded full length because it took ages to load ?

OK found it . Its to do with the movie I chose . Its been adulterated I think because other movies load full length.
Thanks All

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Mike I tried this out on my Bionic 64, and had some problems:

1.) The available Audio devices don't include Alsa, so no sound. (same as the Bionic 64 Avidemux .pet) Apparently there are no Alsa plugins installed.

2.) The Avidemux window opens in the upper left corner of my screen, and lacks the normal window top title bar with the Minimize, Fullscreen and Close symbols.

3.) Right clicking on the window elsewhere does not produce choices for window manipulation

4.) The program can be closed via the status bar at the bottom of the Bionic desktop by right clicking on the Avidemux tab and selecting "Close".

5.) But attempting to move the Avidemux window using the same right-click statusbar tab and selecting "Move" crashes X.

Thanks for all your work, Mike, making video editors available in portable versions. I do use other more complex puppy v-editors, but have occasion to use Avidemux for some particular tasks that it does well and simply. For example, shortening a video, or cutting portions out and rewriting it to a new video file in the same format without actually re-rendering the video and audio. Very fast and lossless.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64

My homemade foam boat:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@vtpup :-

1.) The available Audio devices don't include Alsa, so no sound. (same as the Bionic 64 Avidemux .pet) Apparently there are no Alsa plugins installed.

I DID wonder about that. I was looking at this last night, as it happens, and after reading your other post thought I'd check it over. I get just 'Dummy' and 'OSS', though 'OSS' (the old Open Sound System, which eventually morphed into ALSA some years later from what I understand) works fine for playback. Haven't used this for quite a while, so I can't really comment any further!

2.) The Avidemux window opens in the upper left corner of my screen, and lacks the normal window top title bar with the Minimize, Fullscreen and Close symbols.

Um......it's there, trust me. But for some unknown reason, when it opens it's just that little bit higher on the screen than it ought to be. It's the same for me, too.....so I position the cursor somewhere in the main window - anywhere will do - after which I press and hold Alt, left-click and drag the window down a wee bit (with the 4-way arrow). Then you can see the title bar.

Anyhoo, if it works and does what you want from it, that's the main thing. I refuse to be held responsible for any boo-boos the packager might have made when putting the AppImage together! :lol: :shock: :D

(This is an 'officially' packaged AppImage, using the proper framework.....not one of Fred's scripted ones).

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

This is a follow up to my post here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 262#p97262. After that post I booted into my remastered version of Bionicpup64, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 666#p90666. The 2.7.1 version of Avidemux I included in that build does not render sound. But Mikewalsh's portable --despite the absence of Alsa options- does. Not sure what I may have done in the remaster. Don't know anything about configuring audio. Had I known during the remaster process I would have incorporated Mike's portable.

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Thanks MikeWalsh for the tip on moving the window.

mikeslr, I tried playing a video on the monitor and got an immediate message "Trouble initializing the audio device". I checked the dropdown menu and only Dummy, OSS and PulseAudioS were available. Default was PulseAudioS. So just as an experiment going by what Mike Walsh said about OSS being old ALSA, I tried OSS, and voila, sound worked!

So the solutions to all problems noted earlier are to Alt-Left Click and drag the Avidemux window down. And then choose Edit>Preferences>Audio>OSS to enable sound. :thumbup2:

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64

My homemade foam boat:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

vtpup wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:43 pm

So the solutions to all problems noted earlier are to Alt-Left Click and drag the Avidemux window down. And then choose Edit>Preferences>Audio>OSS to enable sound. :thumbup2:

Thanks, Mike, for providing the technical information. And Thanks, vtpup, for providing 'the recipe'. :thumbup:

PipzDex

Post by PipzDex »

Hi @mikeslr

Sharing you the newer version of avidemux 2.8.1

Use the same format that you used on the portables you share so that it is not different from your work

Cheers!! :thumbup2:

Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (53.79 KiB) Viewed 184 times

The same as usual, extract in folder opt and click in MenuAdd and that's it!

Here the link >>>> Avidemux 2.8.1 Portable <<<<<<

Pentium (R) 2.20GHz I RAM: 8.0 GB I F96-CE_5 I Kernel 6.6.8-64oz-ao I Glibc: 2.31 I 1600x900 Px

My Puppy Stuff and more

Return to “Multimedia”