WIFI communication between pc and mobile via KDE-Connect and Dolphin or AirDroid or SCRCPY

Moderator: Forum moderators

simfann

WIFI communication between pc and mobile via KDE-Connect and Dolphin or AirDroid or SCRCPY

Post by simfann »

I want to show very good possibilities to interact between pc and mobile without wire connection
(I use on pc fossapup64-9.5, KDE-Connect 1.4, Dolphin 19.12.3, SCRCPY 1.12.1, ADB 1.0.39 and on phone KDE-Connect 1.29.0, AirDroid V4.3.5.1):

Important: For all applications mobile (phone) and pc (computer) must be in the same WIFI net!

Alternative 1: KDE-Connect with or without Dolphin, especially useful for clipboard and file transfer
1) Install KDE connect on mobile (for free) and pc (Puppy Package Manager).
2) Optionally: Install Dolphin on pc (Puppy Package Manager).
3) In Puppy you see now several menu entries for KDE. It is enough to start KDE-Connect (Menu Network).
You can see then an icon "K" in task bar.
4) Start KDE-Connect on your mobile phone.
5) Optionally: Start Dolphin on pc (menu Filesystem).
6) Turn off your firewall.
7) Now you can connect both devices with KDE-Connect either beginning from pc or mobile and accept connection on other device.
8) With KDE-Connect you can share clipboard and files and do some other things, that are at least for me less interesting.
(KDE-Connect has no ability for mirroring! For mirroring of phone display use "scrcpy" or "AirDroid" for example.)
9a) Clipboard share pc to mobile: STRG+C on pc, Insert command on mobile.
9b) Clipboard share mobile to pc: Use clipboard transfer icon in KDE-Connect app.
10a) File transfer from pc to mobile without "Dolphin": Right mouse click on icon "K" in task bar lets you make a file transfer.
10b) File transfer from mobile to pc without "Dolphin": Use file transfer icon in KDE-Connect app.
10c) I prefer to use Dolphin for file transfer: On Dolphin (and only on this file manager, as far as I know!) you can see all files of your mobile.
File transfer is much easier by file manager than by KDE connect. You can even transfer files between Dolphin and another file manager.

Hint: You can turn on your firewall after connection is done, but if you use KDE-Connect for longer time, the connection can break.
I recommend to leave it off as long as you use KDE-Connect. If you do file transfer by Dolphin you can turn on your firewall after
connection without causing breaks.

Alternative 2: AirDroid, especially useful for file transfer and mirroring
1) Install AirDroid on mobile (for free).
2) Start AirDroid on mobile.
3) Find the IP address of your phone: Settings / About telephone / All specifications / Status / IP address (This can differ from phone to phone.)
4) Type phone's IP address together with "http://" in address bar of pc browser and add ":8888" (for example "http://192.157.0.101:8888")
5) Now Airdroid opens on your pc browser and mobile AirDroid app asks for permission.
6) With Airdroid you can share files, mirror phone display and do some other things, that are at least for me less interesting.
(AirDroid has no ability for clipboard transfer from Android 11 upwards. Therefore you can use "KDE-Connect" or "scrcpy" for example.)

Alternative 3: SCRCPY (Screen Copy), especially useful for mirroring and clipboard transfer
1) Install SCRCPY on pc (Puppy Package Manager).
2) Install ADB on pc (Puppy Package Manager).
3) Connect pc with phone via USB cable.
4) Unlock developer options: Settings / About telephone / Type 7 times on "Build Version (Device, not Android!)" (can differ from phone to phone)
5) Turn on USB-Debugging on your phone: Settings / Developer Options (can be hidden in submenu) / Turn on "USB-Debugging"
6) Open terminal on pc and write: adb tcpip 5555
7) You get on terminal this info: "restarting in TCP mode port: 5555"
8) Disconnect USB cable.
9) See 3) of Alternative 2
10) Type in terminal: adb connect "Your IP-address":5555 (for example: adb connect "192.157.0.101:5555")
11) Terminal info: connected to "Your IP-address":5555
12) Type in terminal: scrcpy -p 5555
13) Mirror of phone display starts and you can use all commands, you find under terminal command "scrcpy --help"
Most interesting commands are:
1) Copy phone clipboard to pc: CTRL+C on pc mirror window gets clipboard of phone to pc
2) Copy pc clipboard to phone: CTRL+Shift+V on pc mirror window gets clipboard of pc to phone

Hint: For mirroring of fast games on phone I would prefer SCRCPY over USB cable:
1) Connect pc with phone via USB cable.
2) If you have used SCRCPY over WIFI just before, type in terminal: adb disconnect (else "scrcpy" fails!)
3) Type in terminal: scrcpy
4) Mirror of phone display starts

Return to “Network/Server”