Can I connect a printer/scanner and a webcam on a 2.0 hub?

Moderator: Forum moderators

boof

Can I connect a printer/scanner and a webcam on a 2.0 hub?

Post by boof »

I need to know if an external usb2.0 hub can support both of the below on 1.5m cables:
[
1 scanner or 1 laser printer,
1 dvr-4ch or 1 webcam
]

Chelsea80

Re: usb2.0 hub max traffic?

Post by Chelsea80 »

@boof

The maximum number of USB devices that can be connected to a single port depends on various factors such as the USB standard, hub configurations, power requirements, and practical limitations.

Theoretical Limit: The USB 2.0 standard theoretically allows for up to 127 devices bidirectionally connected to a single host line

Practical Limitations:
USB Hubs: Daisy-chaining hubs can increase the number of devices but may lead to power delivery issues and Windows errors if too many hubs are connected

USB Controllers: Adding a discrete USB host controller via PCIe expansion can expand the total number of devices that can be connected

Endpoint Limits: Each USB device can use multiple endpoints, and there are global limits on USB endpoints available

Real-World Scenarios:
PC Gamer Experiment: In an experiment by Linus Tech Tips, they managed to connect up to 110 USB devices before encountering system issues, showcasing the challenges of reaching the theoretical limit practically

Raspberry Pi Limit: On a Raspberry Pi, the device limit is typically limited to 32 concurrent devices, including hubs

In conclusion, while the theoretical limit for USB devices connected to a single port is high, practical considerations such as power delivery, hub configurations, endpoint limits, and system compatibility play a significant role in determining the actual maximum number of connections for USB devices in real-world scenarios.

The maximum cable length for USB 2.0 devices is limited to 5 meters (approximately 16 feet) according to the USB 2.0 specification
This means that when connecting USB 2.0 devices, the cable length should not exceed this limit to ensure optimal performance and data transfer rates. Exceeding this maximum length can lead to issues such as signal degradation, increased signal propagation delay, and reduced data transfer efficiency due to attenuation in the signal strength over longer distances

Disclaimer: Above information gleaned from the internet.

Unless you get a definitive answer from another post then it's a 'suck it and see' job.

Health warning: May cause blue smoke and loss of everything!

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

BionicPup32+28 19.03 - Linux 4.9.163 - lxpup - 32-pae [i686] - (UPup Bionic Beaver)
Frugal Install - Internal HDD - Gateway MX8716b - HDD 120GB - RAM 2GB

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

boof

Re: usb2.0 hub max traffic?

Post by boof »

thank you, i'll be able to use only one of each pair together, i think. laser printers run abt 112,000kB/S, and tv screen are typ 112MB/sec, i can give priority to the tv stream. Blue smoke?? mine's always been black. tks 4 the warning. I'll have to upgade my hub to a 5 port, intelligent.

Return to “F96-CE”