No sound in Firefox with KLV_hyprland [SOLVED]

Moderator: Forum moderators

TerryH

No sound in Firefox with KLV_hyprland [SOLVED]

Post by TerryH »

So I have been using KLV_hyprland for quite some time now. I only discovered I don't have sound from firefox. My sound works OK for local sound files. When running firefox with video playing, checking PulseAudio Volume Control I don't see a sound stream for firefox. I have checked the 4 KLV_hyprland installs I currently have, none have sound for firefox.

Last edited by TerryH on Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

Sofiya

Re: Sound in Firefox with KLV_hyprland

Post by Sofiya »

Great sound on Firefox .In all versions

Attachments
screenshot-20240317-232351.png
screenshot-20240317-232351.png (342.01 KiB) Viewed 1038 times

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.X - KLV-Airedale - KLA-OT2
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Sofiya wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:43 pm

That's what I'd hoped to see on my laptop (apart from the choice of music), but unfortunately I don't.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

TerryH wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:38 pm

That's what I'd hoped to see on my laptop (apart from the choice of music), but unfortunately I don't.

I can only suggest downloading this image, unpacking it and running it and see if there is sound in Firefox.
https://mega.nz/file/5qtB0ZCK#wQvKfL4LM ... 04VoCeWKz4

I understand correctly that you assembled your assembly through a script ??? - I just can’t understand how you have no sound on Firefox

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Sofiya wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:01 pm

I can only suggest downloading this image, unpacking it and running it and see if there is sound in Firefox.

I understand correctly that you assembled your assembly through a script ??? - I just can’t understand how you have no sound on Firefox

My initial install was from the original iso image. I checked and don't have sound in that installation. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

TerryH wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:23 pm

My initial install was from the original iso image. I checked and don't have sound in that installation. Thanks for the suggestion.

Another option is to look in Firefox settings

privacy and security > permissions > Autoplay > settings - default for all sites - allow audio and video - save

Attachments
screenshot-20240318-031444.png
screenshot-20240318-031444.png (218.39 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
screenshot-20240318-031556.png
screenshot-20240318-031556.png (219.97 KiB) Viewed 1003 times

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Sofiya wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:07 am
TerryH wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:23 pm

Another option is to look in Firefox settings

privacy and security > permissions > Autoplay > settings - default for all sites - allow audio and video - save

That looked promising, but still no sound. I also noticed the section 2 above Autoplay, is for websites which have requested access to speakers. Mine is blank. I'll check in KLV_airedale.

Edit: All settings were the same in KLV_Airedale, which has sound. Thanks for trying to assist.

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: No sound in Firefox with KLV_hyprland

Post by rockedge »

@TerryH Playing an mp3 file does work through MPV but no audio from Firefox.....is there a pulseaudio - pipewire collision happening? You are not seeing Firefox in the pulseaudio volume control sounds like a dbus-daemon is missing or simpler, a dbus session is not starting up. :shock:

hikohan

Post by hikohan »

use Chrome instead of Firefox,

or got to setup pulseAudio server for it.

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

rockedge wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:55 am

@TerryH Playing an mp3 file does work through MPV but no audio from Firefox.....is there a pulseaudio - pipewire collision happening? You are not seeing Firefox in the pulseaudio volume control sounds like a dbus-daemon is missing or simpler, a dbus session is not starting up. :shock:

This is a bit beyond me. I ran dbus-launch firefox from a terminal to check, which launched firefox still no sound, so I'm lost at the moment.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@TerryH Let's see if can get somewhere.......First start Firefox and get ready to play some YouTube or similar audio source.

For test purposes in a terminal enter: modprobe snd-seq

Let's look at qpwgraph. Please start this application from the Multimedia section, and what is present in it's display? Also open the pulseaudio volume/device control app. Somewhere FIrefox is not connecting to the pipewire system. We also can double check if all the needed packages are present in the system.

Is the correct sound card selected for output in the pulseaudio volume/device control app? I assume it is.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

:ugeek:

Attachments
Screenshot_18-мар_17-59-15_20775.png
Screenshot_18-мар_17-59-15_20775.png (187.81 KiB) Viewed 910 times

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Sofiya I am testing with version KLV-Hyprland-CE-5.0 stable (v.Hyprland-0.35.0_1 ) and so far I have audio but I do have a problem starting a MP3 file with MPV using a right-click function to launch the selected file with MPV. Otherwise if I open SMPlayer the MP3 will play with sound.

I will have to reboot a machine that is doing cron jobs for my owncloud web site/cloud server since it is the only one I have that will start the Hyprland compositor.
Is KLV-Hyprland using the same audio set up that KLV-Airedale and KLV-Spectr are using? I have not checked that yet. :geek: :thumbup2: :thumbup:

@TerryH does any other browser than Firefox produce audio?

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

rockedge wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:10 pm

@Sofiya I am testing with version KLV-Hyprland-CE-5.0 stable (v.Hyprland-0.35.0_1 ) and so far I have audio but I do have a problem starting a MP3 file with MPV using a right-click function to launch the selected file with MPV. Otherwise if I open SMPlayer the MP3 will play with sound.

I will have to reboot a machine that is doing cron jobs for my owncloud web site/cloud server since it is the only one I have that will start the Hyprland compositor.
Is KLV-Hyprland using the same audio set up that KLV-Airedale and KLV-Spectr are using? I have not checked that yet. :geek: :thumbup2: :thumbup:

Code: Select all

# System Audio/Multimedia /wireplumber
echo pipewire wireplumber alsa-pipewire pavucontrol pamixer ffmpeg mpv qpwgraph cava cava-gui \
| xargs -n1 xbps-install -Sy
mkdir -p /etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf.d
ln -s /usr/share/examples/wireplumber/10-wireplumber.conf /etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf.d/
mkdir -p /etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf.d
ln -s /usr/share/examples/pipewire/20-pipewire-pulse.conf /etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf.d/

MP3 plays via MPV

Attachments
Screenshot_18-мар_18-19-18_23577.png
Screenshot_18-мар_18-19-18_23577.png (304.09 KiB) Viewed 895 times
Screenshot_18-мар_18-18-27_454.png
Screenshot_18-мар_18-18-27_454.png (200.71 KiB) Viewed 895 times
Last edited by Sofiya on Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Similar issue fixed with these steps:

talismanick_2 yr. ago
· edited 2 yr. ago

It sounds as if this is the kind of audio issues which I dealt with myself for weeks on end and resolved once and for all. If you want to try something radically simplified which works for me (tm):

Install Pipewire and libspa-v4l2, but do not enable the root service (what would be symlinked to /var/service); ensure, however, that DBus is enabled and that XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is ~/.local/run/ or another user-level directory. If it doesn't exist: mkdir -p ~/.local/run/ ; chmod 700 ~/.local/run/.

Copy everything in /usr/share/pipewire/ to ~/.config/pipewire/, then uncomment the 2nd-to-last line of pipewire.conf in the new folder - this will make it so running pipewire also runs pipewire-pulse alongside it.

Create a shell script ~/.local/service/pipewire/run with the usual shebang at the top and exec pipewire 2>&1 beneath. Don't forget to chmod +x run.

In a startup hook for your DE/WM**, create a script with exec dbus-launch --exit-with-x11 runsvdir -P "${HOME}/.local/service". This is what starts all the $SERVICE_NAME/run scripts in ~/.local/service as user-level runit services. So, if Pipewire ever goes down, it'll get restarted.

With that, it should "just work". Do note that the user-level runit services example in the manual won't work here because it doesn't have access to the user environment. (or something like that) I'm speaking from (some) experience here. Unlike both ALSA and Pulseaudio, this setup has always "just worked" for me. (notably, even over Bluetooth with the addition of libspa-bluetooth)

The pipewire-pulse command is what sets up a PulseAudio-lookalike interface for Pipewire - you can use everything from pactl to Pavucontrol to control Pipewire, just as if it were Pulseaudio without the pain.

** I start my WM as a user service, so it's moot for me; you're on your own for this last part. Consider xautostart scripts, perhaps?

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

I installed chromium via OctoXBPS. Sound is OK.

I looked at qpwgraph before, didn't understand other than green probably means working. I shifted the items on the display to fit in a smaller screenshot image. I don't have firefox listed in qpwgraph, as @Sofiya does. When I run chromium it appears in the graph.

Attachments
Screenshot_18-Mar_11-36-01_5770.png
Screenshot_18-Mar_11-36-01_5770.png (97.24 KiB) Viewed 888 times
Last edited by TerryH on Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

TerryH wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:46 pm

I looked at qpwgraph before, didn't understand other than green probably means working. I shifted the items on the display to fit in a smaller screenshot image.

Run this script through the terminal, restart the session and check if there is sound in Firefox

#!/bin/bash

: "${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:=${HOME}/.config}"
mkdir -p "${XDG_CONFIG_HOME}/pipewire/pipewire.conf.d"
ln -s /usr/share/examples/wireplumber/10-wireplumber.conf "${XDG_CONFIG_HOME}/pipewire/pipewire.conf.d/"
ln -s /usr/share/examples/pipewire/20-pipewire-pulse.conf "${XDG_CONFIG_HOME}/pipewire/pipewire.conf.d/"
Attachments
Pipewire_conf.sh.false.gz
(318 Bytes) Downloaded 29 times

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Sofiya wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:59 pm

I looked at qpwgraph before, didn't understand other than green probably means working. I shifted the items on the display to fit in a smaller screenshot image.

Run this script through the terminal, restart the session and check if there is sound in Firefox

#!/bin/bash

ln -s /usr/share/examples/wireplumber/10-wireplumber.conf "${XDG_CONFIG_HOME}/pipewire/pipewire.conf.d/"
ln -s /usr/share/examples/pipewire/20-pipewire-pulse.conf "${XDG_CONFIG_HOME}/pipewire/pipewire.conf.d/"

I did a new build, removing firefox and including chromium. Sound in Chromium is OK. I then installed firefox via OctoXBPS, sound in firefox is working OK now. I'll check the script in the other install to check. Thank you.

Edit: Creating the symlinks in /home/spot didn't fix the issue, still no sound in that install. As I now have a work around, I consider this closed. Thank you all for assistance.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

TerryH wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:52 pm

#!/bin/bash

I did a new build, removing firefox and including chromium. Sound in Chromium is OK. I then installed firefox via OctoXBPS, sound in firefox is working OK now. I'll check the script in the other install to check. Thank you.

The thing is that I included the script in the plugin assembly, I don’t know at what point you did the assembly

Edit: Creating the symlinks in /home/spot didn't fix the issue, still no sound in that install. As I now have a work around, I consider this closed. Thank you all for assistance.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

#!/bin/bash

The thing is that I included the script in the plugin assembly, I don’t know at what point you did the assembly
Your build may have a script enabled
you can attach a copy of the plugin?
or look in the plugin, it’s uncommented for you

Attachments
screenshot-20240318-203427.png
screenshot-20240318-203427.png (102.04 KiB) Viewed 845 times

Sofiya

Re: No sound in Firefox with KLV_hyprland [SOLVED]

Post by Sofiya »

chromium:
or one of the chromium dependencies made it possible to enable sound in Firefox.which is unlikely.for the reason that they are all installed

Dependencies:

alsa-lib>=1.0.20_1
at-spi2-atk>=2.6.0_1
at-spi2-core>=1.91.91_1 
atk>=1.26.0_1 cairo>=1.8.6_1
dbus-libs>=1.2.10_1
desktop-file-utils>=0
expat>=2.0.0_1 
fontconfig>=2.6.0_1 
freetype>=2.12.1_1 
glib>=2.76.0_1 
glibc>=2.38_1
hicolor-icon-theme>=0 
hwids>=0 
libX11>=1.2_1 
libXcomposite>=0.4.0_1 
libXdamage>=1.1.1_1 
libXext>=1.0.5_1 
libXfixes>=4.0.3_1
libXrandr>=1.3.0_1 
libcups>=1.5.3_1 
libdrm>=2.4.6_1 
libevent>=2.1.11_1
libffi>=3.3_1
libflac>=1.4.3_1 
libgbm>=9.0_1
libgcc>=4.4.0_1 
libjpeg-turbo>=1.3.0_2
libpng>=1.6.2_1 
libpulseaudio>=15.0_1 
libwebp>=0.6.0_1 
libxcb>=1.2_1 
libxkbcommon>=0.2.0_1 
libxml2>=2.7.0_1 
libxslt>=1.1.24_1 
nspr>=4.8_1 
nss>=3.12.4_1 
opus>=1.0.2_1 
pango>=1.24.0_1 
xdg-utils>=0

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Is the pipewire setup in hyprland different than in KLV-Airedale ? (sound from Firefox works ok for me in KLV-Airedale).

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Sofiya wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:28 pm

#!/bin/bash

I used my previous plugin file, I commented out the download of the plug file. I changed the plug file to substitute chromium for firefox. So I don't have the pipewire config directory in /home/spot/.config. All other steps in the build were unaltered.

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

TerryH wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:35 pm
Sofiya wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:28 pm

I used my previous plugin file, I commented out the download of the plug file. I changed the plug file to substitute chromium for firefox. So I don't have the pipewire config directory in /home/spot/.config. All other steps in the build were unaltered.

So I thought I'd run a build again, still using my plug file, but reverting back to including firefox. This build the sound IS working in firefox. It's strange, I haven't had sound in firefox, using a downloaded iso and about a dozen I built, now it is working. I am going to download the latest iso image to check that also.

The builds are very quick, I timed this one, it took 5 Mins 40 secs.

Edit: I downloaded the iso with 07KL....sfs dated 13/03/24. Firefox has sound.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

fredx181 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:17 pm

Is the pipewire setup in hyprland different than in KLV-Airedale ? (sound from Firefox works ok for me in KLV-Airedale).

Slightly different since KLV-Hyprland-CE is designed to run as a user (spot) not as root. So 3 scripts are not present.

These are in KLV-Airedale and KLV-Spectr and are started in each user's .xinitrc.

/usr/local/bin/pipewire-root.sh
/usr/local/bin/pipewire-user.sh
/usr/local/bin/run-as-spot

Return to “KLV-HyprlandCE”