EasyOS 2.5 released

Moderator: BarryK

BarryK

EasyOS 2.5 released

Post by BarryK »

Version 2.5 is out, see blog post:

https://bkhome.org/news/202011/easyos-v ... eased.html

Feedback so far is that BluePup bluetooth manager is working well. The previous release of EasyOS, 2.4.1, had Blueman, a bluetooth manager written in python, however, I had issues with it. So, wrote my own. A bit naive thinking that I can create in a couple of weeks something equivalent to Blueman, given that Blueman has been under development for years. But there you go, does what I want, and I reckon works very simply and logically.

I have tested the automatic update, from 2.4.92 (which was an RC for 2.5), that's another real nice feature. You just click on the "update" icon on the desktop -- and instead of downloading the entire new file, it only downloads the difference between the current and next version -- in my case, the full download is 550MB, but only downloaded 65MB.

Rebooted, and had updated to latest version. It also automatically took a snapshot of the "save folder", in case I might later on want to roll back to it.

Note to Puppy Linux people:
EasyOS doesn't have a "savefile", has a "save folder" only, and does not have a "save" icon on the desktop.

That "save folder" had been accumulating lots of crap, packages that I had compiled, etc., so I chose "Shutdown -> Reboot, with rollback" from the menu, and it offered various options, one of which was to reboot as a pristine first bootup, but selectively keep some things, such as network setup, browser setting, etc.

Rebooted, and had a nice clean version 2.5, without any junk from the past.

...just rambling on, find out about EasyOS for yourself!

stemsee

Re: EasyOS 2.5 released

Post by stemsee »

I frugal installed Easy 2.5 and manually edited the initrd updating the uuid drive details etc. Im running on an acer chromebook 714, kabylake cpu. It boots but I dont have wlan or touchpad nor usb-c (i have a usb-c expansion with usb-3). Fatdog, fossapup, fossadog all work fine. I tried dropping in kernels from those but didn't work. I'm hoping you could provide an updated kernel as I am unable to use Easy as is.

cheers
stemsee

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

stemsee wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:27 pm

I frugal installed Easy 2.5 and manually edited the initrd updating the uuid drive details etc. Im running on an acer chromebook 714, kabylake cpu. It boots but I dont have wlan or touchpad nor usb-c (i have a usb-c expansion with usb-3). Fatdog, fossapup, fossadog all work fine. I tried dropping in kernels from those but didn't work. I'm hoping you could provide an updated kernel as I am unable to use Easy as is.

cheers
stemsee

The first thing to do is find out if there is missing firmware. Run this in a terminal:

Code: Select all

# dmesg | grep -i firmware

That should tell you if tried to load firmware and was unable to. If firmware is missing, you can hunt it down on the internet. Firmware goes into /lib/firmware

stemsee

Post by stemsee »

I had already copied all the firmware over! To upgrade the modules I de-compressed the easy.sfs, copied over the modules and firmware then ran 'depmob -b easy' one level above. Then re-squashed the sfs and replaced in boot folder. Booted to x still no trackpad or usb-c mouse.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

@stemsee
What you could try, is the kernel from one of those other distros. Any kernel 4.19.x to 5.4.x, with aufs builtin (not as a module, which should be the case with all of them). EasyOS 2.5 has kernel 5.4.78.

Running EasyOS, copy 'vmlinuz' from the other distro to the boot-partition of EasyOS, and copy /lib/modules/<kernel version> from the other distro to /lib/modules.

Probably also a good idea to replace /lib/firmware from the other distro also.

Before you reboot, might be useful to see how some things change:

# dmesg > /mnt/wkg/dmesg0.log
# lsmod > /mnt/wkg/lsmod0.log

Then reboot.

That will confirm whether it is a kernel thing or not. If it works, post the .config file, it should be available at /proc/config.gz (but that depends on a config choice when the kernel was compiled).

Run those commands again, to different files, so we can compare.

user1111

kvm modules missing

Post by user1111 »

kvm-intel.ko, kvm-amd.ko, kvm.ko .... modules are missing

Virtualisation turned on in BIOS, booted EasyOS 2.5, installed qemu and rebooted, and I can't kvm qemu boot due to not being able to "modprobe kvm-amd". qemu does runs without kvm - but much slower (I for instance qemu'd a OpenBSD image and that booted to gui desktop OK (from where I vnc'd into my Fatdog server gui desktop)).

I did try just copying the kvm modules across from Fatdog, but (as pretty much expected) ...'modules incorrect format' when I run insmod kvm-amd.ko

BarryK

Re: kvm modules missing

Post by BarryK »

rufwoof wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:47 pm

kvm-intel.ko, kvm-amd.ko, kvm.ko .... modules are missing

Virtualisation turned on in BIOS, booted EasyOS 2.5, installed qemu and rebooted, and I can't kvm qemu boot due to not being able to "modprobe kvm-amd". qemu does runs without kvm - but much slower (I for instance qemu'd a OpenBSD image and that booted to gui desktop OK (from where I vnc'd into my Fatdog server gui desktop)).

I did try just copying the kvm modules across from Fatdog, but (as pretty much expected) ...'modules incorrect format' when I run insmod kvm-amd.ko

The kernel has kvm support builtin, not as a module. See /proc/config.gz, also /etc/modules/DOTconfig-*

CONFIG_HAVE_KVM=y
# CONFIG_VIRTUALIZATION is not set

user1111

Post by user1111 »

Hi Barry. Used petget to install the qemu-kvm choice (I've tried numerous other combinations - EasyOS's rollback feature is great for that :)), which is around 52MB and ...

# kvm -m 1500 -cdrom Fatdog64-811.iso
Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
qemu-system-x86_64: failed to initialize KVM: No such file or directory

on my amd cpu laptop system with Virtualization enabled in BIOS (and that kvm/qemu boots fine when using Fatdog).

EDIT: Corrected incorrectly (pasted) quote text

Last edited by user1111 on Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BarryK

Post by BarryK »

rufwoof wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:33 am

Hi Barry. Used petget to install the qemu-kvm choice (I've tried numerous other combinations - EasyOS's rollback feature is great for that :)), which is around 52MB and ...

# kvm -m 1500 -cdrom Fatdog64-811
Fatdog64-811.iso Fatdog64-811-modified.iso

on my amd cpu laptop system with Virtualization enabled in BIOS (and that kvm/qemu boots fine when using Fatdog).

Hmmm, it seems that it is expecting kvm to be a module, kvm.ko, not builtin to the kernel. I guess that next time I compile the kernel, could change it to a module.

Oh, I see, it looks like I need to enable CONFIG_VIRTUALIZATION:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/vi ... /qemu.html

OK, will do.

user1111

Post by user1111 »

Thanks Barry. If as a module, it requires all three, kvm.ko, kvm-intel, kvm-amd i.e. on a intel system you 'modprobe kvm-intel' whilst on a amd system you run 'modprobe kvm-amd'.

Could prove to be useful in EasyOS versions to come, i.e. EasyOS presently is doing a fine job of securing your local system, but still presents unique fingerprints to snoops. Such as even with just javascript that can inform quite a bit of what actual hardware/system is being used to the extent of uniquely identifying/associating you - and where more often with javascript disabled general usage is pretty much uncomfortable (unusable). With qemu however you could implement your own 'hardware' i.e. emulate a entirely different 'box/system' (emulation) to what was actually being used (bare metal).

It's all very well changing your User-Agent and maybe even your IP (using sshuttle or socks5 proxying or whatever), but if others slip in some javascript perhaps even intermixed into other peoples web pages that you grant javascript permissions to, then that locally running (albeit restricted) script could be reporting back all sorts of details. If that environment is emulated, then it reports back the wrong details (what it thinks/sees rather than actual hardware). Fake-prints (and potentially variable fake-prints).

kvm/qemu can be very quick, as quick as native speeds in some cases, maybe even faster in other cases (but yes slower in yet other cases). A kvm/qemu (hardware emulation) within a buster (whatever) container would be sweet.

Another relatively easy addition that might be worth considering being made to EasyOS would be to include a toggle of the local routers IP within the main session. So that both the main system and containers are prevented from accessing that IP and even root inside the container cannot re-enable it. If for instance your router admin IP is 192.168.100.1 then ...

/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -s 192.168.100.1 -j DROP

But where if you actually want to access the router admin then root in the main session you can just flush that rule before browsing to the router admin 'web page' (and reapply the rule again afterwards).

ndujoe1

Post by ndujoe1 »

My issue is a narrow one, but I would like guidance of the steps I can take to analyse the deficiency and correct it.
The overall function and design of Easy OS is spot on as usual from the hand of Barry K.

I use a Microsoft Lifecam VX2000 for my Skype, and other video conferencing applications.

The camera and outbound sound work fine in Easy OS.

It does not see the USB Microsoft LifeCam Microphone. Though all my other versions of Puppy Linux see it and use it.

I can see Microsoft VX2000 in the multiple sound card interface and in ALSA but it doesn't function.

Is the absence of this function a derivative of EasyOS using newer kernels?

Any help welcome, if I can get the microphone to function I would likely use Easy OS all the time going forward.

Thanks

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

ndujoe1 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:18 pm

My issue is a narrow one, but I would like guidance of the steps I can take to analyse the deficiency and correct it.
The overall function and design of Easy OS is spot on as usual from the hand of Barry K.

I use a Microsoft Lifecam VX2000 for my Skype, and other video conferencing applications.

The camera and outbound sound work fine in Easy OS.

It does not see the USB Microsoft LifeCam Microphone. Though all my other versions of Puppy Linux see it and use it.

I can see Microsoft VX2000 in the multiple sound card interface and in ALSA but it doesn't function.

Is the absence of this function a derivative of EasyOS using newer kernels?

Any help welcome, if I can get the microphone to function I would likely use Easy OS all the time going forward.

Thanks

The feedback I have had is that it is a matter of setting appropriate levels in a mixer. This is my recent experience:

https://bkhome.org/news/202011/micropho ... 07icb.html

Here is a thread where it was discussed:

https://easyos.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=126

I brought up "IGain" in aumix, but got an email from Rodney, that the equivalent in AlsaMixer is "Capture". Here is what Rodney sent to me:

Re your blog 24th Nov.
The equivalent of iGain in alsamixer
is Capture. Move the selector to under
the Capture slider and tap the spacebar.
The word CAPTURE will go red.
Up arrow to set green bar to 40%.
Set both mic boosts to the top Red.

I use pRecord as the test program.
It has a useful mic audio level meter.
Plug in your external mic.
Average mic speech level is only 4mV,
so lots of system gain is needed to get
a decent audible playback.
On this single level meter, aim speech for approx 60%.
Back to the program & look at the larger
setup gui.
Top left target directory. Remove the word Root. Only a single slash needed.
Open Home, top left, slash only needed.
Bottom left of program gui. In order to see a resultant playback file, experiment with
the little card box.
In my case, no tick is needed.
Your mileage may vary.
Try a test recording and terminate it. Eventually a playback file should appear
within the / directory.
Click on it to play it back. Audio should
be clean without distortion.
Best regards, Rodney.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

BarryK wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:50 am
rufwoof wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:33 am

# kvm -m 1500 -cdrom Fatdog64-811
Fatdog64-811.iso Fatdog64-811-modified.iso

Hmmm, it seems that it is expecting kvm to be a module, kvm.ko, not builtin to the kernel. I guess that next time I compile the kernel, could change it to a module.

Oh, I see, it looks like I need to enable CONFIG_VIRTUALIZATION:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/vi ... /qemu.html

OK, will do.

Done, see blog post:

https://bkhome.org/news/202012/kernel-k ... abled.html

user1111

Post by user1111 »

Thanks Barry

That (unchecked) "host kernel accelerator for virtio net (NEW)" option looks interesting. I sometimes use either -vga std ... or -vga -virtio ... qemu boot parameter and virtio does seem quicker. I also use virtio net (and file) in some boots such as OpenBSD

# ensure virtualisation is turned on in BIOS

modprobe kvm-amd
# or modprobe kvm-intel if running a intel cpu

qemu-system-x86_64 -m 2048 \
  -vga std -usbdevice tablet \
  -cpu host -machine type=pc,accel=kvm -k en-gb -smp 2 \
  -drive if=virtio,file=disk.qcow2,format=qcow2 \
  -enable-kvm  \
  -netdev user,id=mynet0,hostfwd=tcp:127.0.0.1:2223-:22 \
  -device virtio-net,netdev=mynet0

... that's to boot a existing installed OpenBSD, after having downloaded and run the installation into a virtual disk

qemu-img create -f qcow2 disk.qcow2 32G
wget https://www.mirrorservice.org/pub/OpenBSD/6.8/amd64/cd68.iso

Run installer:

qemu-system-x86_64 -m 2048 \
  -cdrom cd68.iso \
  -drive if=virtio,file=disk.qcow2,format=qcow2 \
  -enable-kvm \
  -netdev user,id=mynet0,hostfwd=tcp:127.0.0.1:2222-:22 \
  -device virtio-net,netdev=mynet0 \
  -smp 2

cd68.iso, the installation image, is just 10MB, and OpenBSD's installation process is very simple, pure textual and mostly involves just pressing ENTER. I tend to set up a additional userid during installation, such as for userid 'spot'

One of the first things most would probably do once booted is to install jwm

pkg_add jwm

and set that as the window manager i.e. edit/create .xsession to have a content of jwm. Maybe then pkg_add rox-filer ... and whatever.

That hostfwd=tcp:127.0.0.1:2223-:22 parameter, is just saying to set up port 2222 on the host, as a access to port 22 on the guest, i.e. so you can ssh into the guest from the host using port 2222 (ssh localhost -p 2222). So worthwhile when installing to make sure the enable sshd option is checked.

Mine complains about the -usbdevice tablet parameter, but still works. Depending upon how you run things dropping that out may work better than having it included. Basically it aligns the mouse as you move the mouse from host to guest. Without it you may find that you end up with two mouse cursors and having to figure out which one is the one inside the guest system.

The -m parameter is how much memory in MB to allocate to the guest, On my 4GB laptop I use -m 2048 (i.e. 2GB), which is more than enough. -smp is how may cores to allocate, I allocate the same 2 cores as available on the host (laptop), but you can set that higher, I could for instance use -smp 4 and it still boots and appears to have 4 cores.

-k is the keyboard, for me that's en-gb, with no -k specified it defaults to us keyboard. As per /usr/share/qemu/keymaps

If you run
qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu ?
it will report back all of the cpu's available to be emulated, I usually just set it to -cpu host ... i.e. it 'emulates' the same cpu as the actual host cpu.

If you include a -vnc :59 parameter then it will serve to vnc instead of a window, i.e. you can vnc into localhost:5959 (that vnc parameter is a number relative to the default 5900 vnc port i.e. -vnc :10 would be vncviewer localhost:5910). When using vnc type qemu, X doesn't even need to be loaded/running (useful for headless setups).

One of the first things I do after installing OpenBSD is to edit .Xdefaults

Xft.dpi: 144
xterm.faceName: DejaVu Sans Mono
xterm.faceSize: 12
xterm*background: black
xterm*foreground: lightgray
! xrdb /home/spot/.Xdefaults ... to reload into current session

.. for a larger text size. That's quite a high Xft.dpi value, more usually its set to a value of 96 (I do quite a bit using xterm/tmux such as irc, mutt ...etc, so I like a more old style 80x24 type text look).

Return to “EasyOS”