How to prevent /usr/sbin/pkg / petget from automatic data update after booting? (solved)

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

User

How to prevent /usr/sbin/pkg / petget from automatic data update after booting? (solved)

Post by User »

Hi everyone,

after booting /usr/sbin/pkg (calling then /usr/local/petget/0setup) automatically starts to download repository index files. I'd like to prevent automatic download as I have a slow connection. I rather prefer to update petget manually at need.

I'm running fossapup64 9.5, a frugal installation on HDD on a thinkpad T530 (although I doubt, that the specific hardware is important for this question).

If I understood it right "busybox init" is controlled by /etc/inittab and therefore executes this:
::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

rc.sysinit executes:
/etc/rc.d/rc.services which in turn executes all sripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d . None of these contain a call to /usr/sbin/pkg .
/etc/rc.d/rc.country: also doesn't call /usr/sbin/pkg .
/etc/rc.d/rc.local: also doesn't call /usr/sbin/pkg .

I can't find where /usr/sbin/pkg is called, although I see, this call chain with 'ps':
/bin/busybox init --> /bin/ash /usr/sbin/pkg ru --> /bin/bash /usr/local/petget/0setup x --> wget
Did I miss the script that calls it?
How can I prevent automatic pkg/petget files download?

Thanks in advance for any hint.

Last edited by bigpup on Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added solved
fredx181

Re: How to prevent /usr/sbin/pkg / petget from automatic data update after booting?

Post by fredx181 »

Perhaps disable the script /root/Startup/PPMupdatedatabase :?:

mikewalsh

Re: How to prevent /usr/sbin/pkg / petget from automatic data update after booting?

Post by mikewalsh »

@fredx181 :-

We both posted at the same time! :D

@User :-

Quite simple, really.

The "pkg" script is called from /root/Startup.....by the script "PPMupdatedatabase". Just remove the 'Exec' permissions from this; rt-clk -> Properties. Untick all the 'Exec' boxes down the bottom, then hit 'Refresh', followed by 'Close'. Annnd.....

.....sorted..!

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

User

Post by User »

Thank you, both!

And as PPMupdatedatabase calls it with 'exec':
exec pkg ru

no sub shell is opened and it looks as if 'busybox init' would have called 'pkg' directly. And so I couldn't find it with 'ps'.

Thanks again!

Return to “Beginners Help”