Linux Now Has 4.03% of Desktop Market Share

dogcat

Linux Now Has 4.03% of Desktop Market Share

Post by dogcat »

https://linuxiac.com/linux-crosses-four ... worldwide/

Eight months ago they broke 3%, maybe break 5% this year?

μακάριοι οἱ δεδιωγμένοι ἕνεκεν δικαιοσύνης, ὅτι αὐτῶν ἐστιν ἡ βασιλεία τῶν οὐρανῶν.

BologneChe

Re: Linux Now Has 4.03% of Desktop Market Share

Post by BologneChe »

dogcat wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:42 pm

https://linuxiac.com/linux-crosses-four ... worldwide/

Eight months ago they broke 3%, maybe break 5% this year?

And for all operating systems. What is interesting is to consult the statistics by country. Habits are not the same.
https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share

Born to lose; live to win

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

I think you maybe seeing a more fragmented market. Meaning nobody has just one computer and one operating system.

I suspect people using android x86 as primary desktop system is pretty small. Most are only using android on their ARM phones and tablets. Course there are people that do all online activities via their phone or a tablet. And lot people that primary use their phone but have an older desktop or laptop. And are not amused with Microsoft's marketing strategies trying to force them into newer, now lot more expensive hardware, not to mention constant updates they have to wait to complete. Their old stuff is still fast enough so they may keep windows 7 and just add a more modern linux so as to have a modern browser. Like it or not Chrome (goggled or ungoggled) and Firefox own the browser market now and look pretty much same on whatever operating system you use.

Linux does own the server market. Used to know a guy that was quite experienced in linux servers, but used windows for his desktop. Apparently he had never used a workstation version of linux and wasnt interested in trying it.

I have been playing with various desktop x86 Android. Gotta say they are making big strides into actually being a useable desktop on larger screen. Not my choice as its much harder to do many things, but if you just want to load apps and go, hey it does work. No right clicks takes lot of getting used to though. And using it with keyboard and mouse rather than touchscreen also an art I think.

So far as actual desktop use, imagine its more windows, chromeOS, MAC, and linux in that order. Though many probably have linux in addition to one of those others even if not their daily driver. Whereas I use linux day to day with windows and now Android x86 (in form of PrimeOS and BlissOS) on an as needed basis. Mostly cause still holdout software that is windows or android centric. Windows and Android have become absolutely obnoxious without lot work to keep M$ and Goggles out of it. Marketing gone wild.

wizard

Post by wizard »

Chances are that the more companies like Microsoft push towards a subscription model, the more we will see users moving towards Linux or even ChromeOS.

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

wizard wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:09 pm

Chances are that the more companies like Microsoft push towards a subscription model, the more we will see users moving towards Linux or even ChromeOS.

wizard

...or macOS

Born to lose; live to win

Return to “Off-Topic Area”