Xfce stock hotkeys splash cheat for Airedales etc.

Kennel Linux Void-based

Moderator: Forum moderators

geo_c

Xfce stock hotkeys splash cheat for Airedales etc.

Post by geo_c »

I got tired of not remembering the Xfce hotkeys, so I made a splash script. Assign it to a hotkey itself and never forget the keystrokes

attached

Xfce-hotkeys.sh.FAKE.gz
(2.26 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

or copy the code:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

# variable SPROG for the program
SPROG="gtkdialog-splash"

$SPROG -text "              Xfce Custom HOT KEYS

_____________________WINDOWS_____________________
Alt+Space = Window operations menu Esc = Dismiss/cancel dialog Alt+Tab = Switch to next window Shift+Alt+Tab = Switch to previous window Super+Tab = Next window of current app Alt+F4 = Close window Alt+F7 = Move window Alt+F8 = Resize window Alt+F9 = Hide window Alt+F10 = Maximize window Alt+Shift+PgDn = Raise/lower window Alt+F11 = Toggle fullscreen Alt+F12 = Toggle above Ctrl+Alt+D = Show desktop ______________MOVE WINDOW TO WORKSPACE___________ Alt+F6 = Stick window Alt+F5 = Maximize horizontally Ctrl+Alt+End = Move to next workspace Ctrl+Alt+Home = Move to previous workspace Ctrl+Alt+Num1-9 = Move to workspace 1-9 _________________FOCUS WORKSPACE_________________ Ctrl+F1-F9 = Switch to workspace 1-9 Ctrl+Alt+Left/Right = Next/Previous workspace Ctrl+Alt+Up = Upper workspace Ctrl+Alt+Down = Bottom workspace Ctrl+Alt+Left = Left workspace Ctrl+Alt+Right = Right workspace Alt+Insert = Add a workspace Alt+Del = Delete last workspace Ctrl+Alt+Del = Logout Menu _______________APPLICATION SHORTCUTS_____________ Super+Alt+F = File manager Super+M = Mail reader Ctrl+Alt+T = Terminal emulator Super+R = App Finder Alt+F1 = applications menu Ctrl+Esc = desktop applications menu Print Screen = xfce4-screenshooter -f Alt+Print Screen = xfce4-screenshooter -w Ctrl+Alt+L = xflock4 Ctrl+Alt+Del = xflock4 Alt+F2 = xfrun4 Ctrl+Alt+Esc = xkill Super+P = display settings
______________click splash to close______________ " -placement center -close click -align left -bg_gradient_sens soft -font 'DejaVu Sans Mono' -fontsize 14 -fontstyle normal -fontweight normal -fg '#19EDBB' -bg '#001E28' -margin_width -150 -margin_height -150 -timeout 0 -bg_gradient false -border true -wrap true -ontop true

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

MochiMoppel

Re: Xfce stock hotkeys splash cheat for Airedales etc.

Post by MochiMoppel »

geo_c wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:32 am

SPROG="gtkdialog-splash"
<snip>
 " -placement center -close click -align left -bg_gradient_sens soft -font 'DejaVu Sans Mono' -fontsize 14 -fontstyle normal -fontweight normal -fg '#19EDBB' -bg '#001E28' -margin_width -150 -margin_height -150 -timeout 0 -bg_gradient false -border true -wrap true -ontop true

@geo_c Doesn't work as I would expect.
-close click should do what? gtkdialog-splash knows no "click" option. Therefore your code defaults to "mouseover", which means that you will never see the splash if your mouse happens to be near the center of the screen

You stipulated 'DejaVu Sans Mono' as the desired font, which makes a lot of sense, However your splash text is not monospaced as it should.
Your text is rendered in "DejaVu Sans" - without "Mono". This is because the script box_splash (aka gtkdialog-splash aka yaf-splash) is buggy.
In line 269 it removes the Mono: FONTFAM="${font% *}"

You can verify the wrong result in the CSS file the script creates. In /tmp/gtkdialog-splash.css you would see
window {
/background-image: url("/tmp/gtkdialog_splash_border.svg");/
background-color: #001E28;
color: #19EDBB;
font-size: 14pt;
font-family: "DejaVu Sans";

I posted about this buggy script in the past and I'm too tired to do this again. I can only strongly suggest that you look for alternatives. IMO gxmessage would be a much better choice for you.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

MochiMoppel wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:43 am
geo_c wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:32 am

SPROG="gtkdialog-splash"
<snip>
 " -placement center -close click -align left -bg_gradient_sens soft -font 'DejaVu Sans Mono' -fontsize 14 -fontstyle normal -fontweight normal -fg '#19EDBB' -bg '#001E28' -margin_width -150 -margin_height -150 -timeout 0 -bg_gradient false -border true -wrap true -ontop true

@geo_c Doesn't work as I would expect.
-close click should do what? gtkdialog-splash knows no "click" option. Therefore your code defaults to "mouseover", which means that you will never see the splash if your mouse happens to be near the center of the screen

You stipulated 'DejaVu Sans Mono' as the desired font, which makes a lot of sense, However your splash text is not monospaced as it should.
Your text is rendered in "DejaVu Sans" - without "Mono". This is because the script box_splash (aka gtkdialog-splash aka yaf-splash) is buggy.
In line 269 it removes the Mono: FONTFAM="${font% *}"

You can verify the wrong result in the CSS file the script creates. In /tmp/gtkdialog-splash.css you would see
window {
/background-image: url("/tmp/gtkdialog_splash_border.svg");/
background-color: #001E28;
color: #19EDBB;
font-size: 14pt;
font-family: "DejaVu Sans";

I posted about this buggy script in the past and I'm too tired to do this again. I can only strongly suggest that you look for alternatives. IMO gxmessage would be a much better choice for you.

I'm sure you're right about it, but I don't seem to have either the font issue or the click option issue, so I am inclined to wonder whetther it has something to do with which gtk-splash version is running. In the KLVs and also F96 these splashes work as expected.

I could certainly use gxmessage, as I also usually duplicate these splashes using gtkdialog, which I tend to like better anyway.

geo_c

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

geo_c wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:13 am

I don't seem to have either the font issue or the click option issue, so I am inclined to wonder whetther it has something to do with which gtk-splash version is running.

No, it has something to do with GTK3.
I'm in FP96 now and at least the font is correct. FP96 uses the GTK2 version of gtkdialog (the binary used by box-splash) while BW64 uses GTK3.
box-splash creates different style sheets, depending on the GTK version. For GTK3 it fails, GTK2 is correct.

Regarding click: Can't confirm any difference. It is not possible to move the mouse over the window and then close the window by clicking on it.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

The gtkdialog-splash script in KLV is very different from what's in other puppies, it's based on the experiments I started here: GTK3: gtkdialog-splash
(edit: to be exact, it's gtk3-splash (renamed) from gtk3splash-mod , see: viewtopic.php?p=69032#p69032)

MochiMoppel wrote:

Regarding click: Can't confirm any difference. It is not possible to move the mouse over the window and then close the window by clicking on it.

Credit to @Sofiya for bringing in the mouse -close click option, see: viewtopic.php?p=68662#p68662
(and just tried the script from first post by geo_c, it works ok in KLV-Airedale) (edit: for my own usage I made it -fontsize 12 to get a little smaller window).

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

fredx181 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:42 am

Credit to @Sofiya for bringing in the mouse -close click option, see: viewtopic.php?p=68662#p68662
(and just tried the script from first post by geo_c, it works ok in KLV-Airedale)

What are we talking about? I tried

fredx181 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:14 pm

gtkdialog-splash for GTK3:

Update 2022-10-07, modified version by adding some more options, see viewtopic.php?p=69032#p69032

EDIT 2022-09-22 re-attached gtk3splash.tar.gz, some fixes, see: viewtopic.php?p=67452#p67452
EDIT 2023-02-05 re-attached gtk3splash.tar.gz, example script warn_msg had the wrong permissions, fixed.
gtk3splash.tar.gz

Is that the latest? There is no -close click option nor does the window close when clicked. There is no reference in the help text either:

-placement center|mouse|top|bottom|top-right|top-left|bottom-right|bottom-left (default: center)
  -close never|mouseover|box (default is mouseover)
  -deco TITLE (shows windows decorations, with title)

The link to @Sofiya's post refers to the elimination of a code line that made no sense anyway. I'm confused. If there is a version with a -close click option, please post it.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@MochiMoppel Sorry for the confusion, it's the "gtk3splash-mod" that has the -close click option (but kept the close button option too if I remember well) : viewtopic.php?p=69032#p69032
(but note that the script inside the tar.gz is named gtk3-splash rather than gtkdialog-splash)
edit: what I did now to test again is copy gtk3-splash to /usr/local/bin/ and changed in geo_c's script to SPROG="gtk3-splash" and close by clicking works.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@fredx181 @geo_c @Sofiya ,

Do I need to make any changes to the KLV's that include these scripts? Updates?

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

rockedge wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:43 pm

@fredx181 @geo_c @Sofiya ,

Do I need to make any changes to the KLV's that include these scripts? Updates?

No, it's fine, as far as I know (the gtkdialog-splash script (and mksplash) included in KLV has these latest options, e.g. -close click and others).

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

I seem to have forgotten to change the title of that splash. Instead of Xfce Custom Hot Keys It should read Xfce Hot Keys.

geo_c

Return to “KLV-Airedale”