Easy 3.2.1 container confusion

Moderator: BarryK

Misaligned

Easy 3.2.1 container confusion

Post by Misaligned »

I haven't been using containers so far. Yesterday, I decided to give it a shot. So, I downloaded the fatdog_811 sfs
and manually placed it /mnt/wkg/easyos/sfs/easyos/oe/dunfell (3 files - sfs,description and logo). When I tried to
select it from the pull-down in the container management, it did not show up there? I also tried it by placing the
files in a new folder /mnt/wkg/easyos/sfs/easyos/oe/fatdog, with the same results. Am I missing a step?

Also played around with the console in a container. Changed directory to /root, created an empty txt file and wrote to it.
The file remained intact, even after reboot. This puzzled me somewhat, because I thought I could only write to the
shared folder. After digging around, I saw there is another /root folder in the container .session directory. I guess
I am still just a little confused about how containers work?

Misaligned

Re: container confusion

Post by Misaligned »

Forgot to mention - this was on easy 3.2.1

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

@Misaligned
you could select it in sfsget and go thru the steps to download it again, or if you wish to manually place your sfs you could see what happens when you run sfsget after extracting the sfs from the iso and putting it in /mnt/sdxx/your-working-directory/sfs/fatdog/lfs/811

a container filesystem should persist between reboots. you can also choose to delete and recreate containers at will, in which case changes will be lost.

should you have a file in a container you wish to access from the desktop. (or vice versa) place it in shared

Misaligned

Post by Misaligned »

@williwaw,
Well, I tried creating the fatdog container again, this time downloading the package per
manager and then just following the steps. A bit better - this time the desktop icon was created
but the actual script to start the container was not, something like ec-chroot-fatdog? If I remember
this correctly right now, this should be under /usr/sbin?, in any case the same folder like the pre-installed
containers.

I tried the whole thing with another program/sfs which worked out fine. The files got downloaded
(sfs, logo, specs) and placed into - in this case into .../sfs/easyos/oe/buster since it was from an older
version, no subfolder was created. Desktop icon showed up as expected and was responsive :).
Maybe the fatdog sfs is missing something inside?

Ok, so if I understand this right, running a program inside a container and creating files in there should be
saved, even through reboots. I do not neccessarily have to save those files into the shared folder? I just have
to play around with this a little bit more.

And thanks for the reply.

Misaligned

Re: SOLVED -container confusion

Post by Misaligned »

After creating a new stick (easy 3.2.1), I downloaded fatdog with sfs-get and this time it worked - partially.
I had to restart X for the desktop icon to show up. The menu entry is also missing, though there is a .desktop
file. Anyways, this worked.
I found out, that doing it the manual way, I did not create the correct folder structure containing the sfs,
which is listed in the spec file.

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

post deleted -- moved to separate topic

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64

My homemade foam boat:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Return to “EasyOS”