RetroFab Update

Moderator: Forum moderators

Grey

RetroFab Update

Post by Grey »

RetroFab has been updated for the New Year. Now there are, among other things, 7 Soviet clones of the Game & Watch series of games by Elektronika. Not all of them, but at least so much. These are still simulators, not emulators, but there is a fine line here.

Lower the scroll slider in the browser to about the middle of the screen ;)
I was the owner of three types of devices. Mickey Mouse + Explorers of Space + Ocean Secrets. My favorite is Ocean Secrets (yes, an Octopus clone).

@puppy_apprentice Please note that there are 4 almost identical egg games at once. The original (Japan) versions of Mickey Mouse and Egg. And Soviet copies. Mickey Mouse and Nu, Pogodi. Accordingly, Minnie, a Hen or a Hare can look out in the upper left corner. The original Wolf uses a hat rather than a basket and looks different🐺
Try to play ;) Unfortunately, there is still no sense of complexity there. Maybe because it's easier on the keyboard (LCTRL, LSHIFT and RCTRL, RSHIFT) than on the device itself, or maybe because I'm a "pro" or the algorithm has not been finalized... But nevertheless, I scored 999 points effortlessly and without dropping a single egg. Of course, there is no cartoon there :roll: The score after 999 is simply reset to zero.
Try it and share your impressions. You seem to have had an option with a Wolf and a Hare?

Eggs, Chickens, Mice, Wolves.gif
Eggs, Chickens, Mice, Wolves.gif (117.93 KiB) Viewed 498 times

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

puppy_apprentice

Re: RetroFab Update

Post by puppy_apprentice »

I think I had about two Game & Watch games. One of them broke, so I disassembled it to see what was inside. I also disassembled the working one and found that they differed only in the screen. As I flipped the screen from the non-working console to the working one I could play the game from the non-working one. All the game mechanics were in the screen ;)

Grey

Post by Grey »

puppy_apprentice wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:07 pm

I also disassembled the working one

I found my battered Ocean Secrets. It is not yet clear if it is alive. It turns out that I "modified" the game once so that it uses AAA batteries instead of the official ones. Yes, there is an additional "hump" on the back of the game :)
Yes, the consequences of the past lack of scarce batteries ;)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Grey

Post by Grey »

puppy_apprentice wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:07 pm

I think I had about two Game & Watch games.

A rare representative - Altair, aka DBGB-06I. A game, a clock and... a dosimeter. Three in one. Can you imagine the scenario? The children played a game, measured the radiation level and recorded the exact time of the disaster.

Separately, pay attention to the thickness of the device ;) Such a device can be used as a brass knuckles to scare away wolves. Radioactive wolves somewhere... maybe in Lithuania.
If you like something related to Stalker, then... ;)

Altair_0.jpg
Altair_0.jpg (157.47 KiB) Viewed 203 times

puppy_apprentice

Post by puppy_apprentice »

It looks like good case for RaspberryPi ;)

Grey

Post by Grey »

puppy_apprentice wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:00 pm

It looks like good case for RaspberryPi ;)

If we talk about Raspberry, then I wanted to embed this into an old cassette recorder :) I have a tape recorder Karpaty (Carpathians, by the name of the mountains), in which I can install a Raspberry, a small screen will fit instead of a cassette compartment. I really loved this device once.

But for now, my nostalgia is satisfied in a different way. I run the AIMP player using Wine and the skin of the tape recorder. However, so far it is not quite Karpaty, but Vesna (Spring). But these are complete analogues, only they were produced in different parts of Ukraine, Western and Eastern, respectively. A loo-oong time ago.
But overall it's not bad so far:

AIMP_Vesna-205-1.jpg
AIMP_Vesna-205-1.jpg (140.45 KiB) Viewed 155 times

Return to “Emulation”