Barebones CPU temp display pets

Moderator: Forum moderators

ozsouth

Barebones CPU temp display pets

Post by ozsouth »

Varying systems have different requirements, so maybe either of these CPU temperature displays could be helpful. Use at own risk.

You can make a desktop icon. For cpu0temp, when installed, in filemanager go to
/usr/share/applications/pssct0.desktop & drag it onto main desktop. (for cpu1temp, use pssct1.desktop).

Attachments
cpu1temp.pet
Shows Temp1 temp data
(704 Bytes) Downloaded 19 times
cpu0temp.pet
Shows Core 0 temp data
(700 Bytes) Downloaded 24 times
Last edited by ozsouth on Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
bigpup

Re: Barebones CPU temp display pets

Post by bigpup »

Tried the cpu0temp one in BookwormPup64.

It works Ok.

But sure is a very barebones display.
Have to click on menu entry to run it.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

bigpup wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:35 am

Tried the cpu0temp one in BookwormPup64.

It works Ok.

But sure is a very barebones display.
Have to click on menu entry to run it.

Yes. You can make a desktop icon (see edited 1st post).

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@ozsouth / @bigpup :-

You could of course set this to run from an icon in the notification area. I do this a LOT for various wee utilities.....like the spot-to-root permissions changer for moving stuff in and out of spot, or the Inxi 'portable' systems profiler I posted about the other day (to name but a few). Fred and musher0 figured it out for me a few years ago, and I've re-used it in modified format for no end of things.

===============================

One thing to note; my own Pentium "Gold" G5400 - an 8th/9th-gen Coffee Lake-architecture Intel chip - doesn't use either of the above functions. It uses

Code: Select all

thermal_zone0

....and

thermal_zone1

Out of the two, I've always found "thermal_zone0" to give by far the most accurate reading. This quite possibly applies to the immediate predecessors/successors.....the Kaby Lake/Sky Lake, and Cannon Lake/Whiskey Lake architectures. Just thought it worth mentioning!

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@mikewalsh - yes, that's why I said 'could be helpful'! I'd be interested to see what the output of the main script is on your pc. If you run (in terminal): /usr/local/Pup-SysInfo/func -sysinfo_sensors
then look at the contents of: /tmp/sysinfo-sensors
all will be revealed (hopefully!)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@ozsouth :-

Hm. Interesting.....

I've been in my much-modified Slacko 560 the last few days. When I first tried these out, yesterday, I wasn't getting any readings at all. Further investigation revealed that the version of PupSysInfo that came with this, OOTB, was version 2.3; it appears that at this point in time, Roger's build didn't include some of the stuff in later versions. /usr/local/Pup-SysInfo/func -sysinfo_sensors didn't exist; hell, /usr/local/PupSysInfo wasn't even there! :o

So, I've installed a later build I've had kicking around for ages.....version 2.8. This includes the necessary extra stuff, and the readout from /tmp/sysinfo-sensors gives the following:-

temp1 (nouveau) : +43.0 C (high = +95.0 C, crit = +105.0 C)
Phys 0 (coretemp) : +37.0 C (high = +78.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)
Core 0 (coretemp) : +36.0 C (high = +78.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)
Core 1 (coretemp) : +35.0 C (high = +78.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)

Now; both gKrellM AND micko's pcmcputemp agree on the same reading, using thermal_zone0. Curiously, this is around 5 degrees lower than the reading delivered by pssct0.....so I'm wondering just how "accurate" thermal_zone0 actually is!

(Ah. ATM, pssct0's readout is now within 1 degree of the thermal_zone0 readout, so.....I wouldn't like to say. My interpretation is that thermal_zone0 is using the 'onboard' sensor within the CPU cores, whereas thermal_zone1 typically reads several degrees cooler, so is I believe reading from the sensor in the socket itself.....)

With me so far? (Huh. pssct0 is now back to 5 degrees warmer. Not sure what's going on there. Any ideas?)

Admittedly, most PCs have several different sensors, both in and around the CPU socket/CPU itself. It IS a job to know which one is the most accurate OR which one to actually use.....and these things can only ever give an approximate reading, at best.

Strangely, pssct1 gives me the GPU readout! This is the first line of the sysinfo-sensors stuff in /tmp, so.....??

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@mikewalsh - pssct0 's readout should be closest to the mark. pssct1 is really for when that doesn't work. The idea is to give a fair guide, i.e. if you think your cpu is running hot you can basically confirm it. I find my i5 can jump 15C with some webpages & drop back when loaded, using poorertcputemp1d display. With fans & passive cooling, temp can vary a lot. Even the gpu temp is a rough cpu figure (usually a bit higher).

Return to “Utilities”