firmware SFS links --when you need them

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

firmware SFS links --when you need them

Post by mikeslr »

I don't know about you, but often when swapping kernels I find that I need to download (then rename) a fdrv.sfs and end up spending an inordinate amount of time searching for one. I thought I previously provided a post with links, but can't find it. This Section seemed a logical location for such a post and thread as those most interested in alternate kernels may also need a firmware sfs. Suggest this post be made a 'sticky'.

peebee provides two here, https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... e-kernels/. I know somewhere there's an even more comprehensive version. I'll see if I can find it. Don't hesitate to add your own links.

Edit: Originally (mistakenly :oops:) posted as a Reply rather than a New Topic. Before I found and could correct that error, ozsouth posted:
"Here's an fdrv.sfs I made: https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... an2021.sfs".
Thanks, oz.

@ MikeWalsh, I thought I could delete my "Reply" but don't see any obvious way. Maybe you can; and can also move ozsouth's post to this thread?

Edit, supplemental: Josh Boyer publishes firmware here, https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... rmware.git as a 'tar.gz'.

Edit: gyrog has a repository here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 855#p18855 with links to others.

mikeslr

Re: firmware SFS links --when you need them

Post by mikeslr »

gyrog's repository @ https://www.mediafire.com/folder/k2j223jzddy9x/firmware has been updated to provide an SFS dated 2024-0201. The SFS is 432 Mb so should include firmware needed by even the most obscure wifi-adapters.

It is not 'usr-merged'. OOTB it can not be used with Puppys that comply with that Rule such as Bookworm, VanillaDpup, Jammy64 and F-96. See rockedge post following. AFAIK, to use with those Puppys:
Download, Right-Click>View Contents, Create folder (e.g. named fdrv-UM-DATED), create /usr folder fwithin that folder, copy /lib folder from Viewed extraction into the /usr of 'fdrv-UM-DATED'; then dir2sfs 'fdrv-UM-DATED' creating a new SFS.

Edit: p.s. Can confirm that the above recipe works. I'm currently using a so restructure fdrv.sfs of gyrog's latest in Bookworm which also uses ozsouth's 6.6.13-64oz-aoum kernel.

@gyrog, Your work is appreciated and needed. :thumbup: The 'usr-merge' Rule is a restriction only applicable to recent Ubuntu and debian (and Void?) and consequently their binary-compatible Puppys. It precludes the location of binaries, libraries (and maybe some other stuff) in the Top-level /lib folder. Puppys not following the 'usr-merge' Rule can locate those in either /lib or /usr/lib. Please consider complying with the 'usr-merge' Rule in your future endeavors so that they can be employed OOTB in all Puppys.

Last edited by mikeslr on Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@mikeslr F96-CE_4 is non-user-merge.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@mikeslr :-

That's WHY you couldn't delete your post, Mike. Once Oz had posted, the ability to do so became null & void. You can always delete your posts so long as it is the very last one in any given thread (you'll still see the "x" at the top right corner).....if it isn't, only we mods can delete/move/relocate posts for you.

Which posts(s) are we talking about? Let me know which ones and I'll see what I can do.... :)

T'other Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Mike, no need to do anything. You may have already sorted it. It is now --as it should be-- its own thread rather than a reply. But I still recommend it be made a 'Sticky'. Missing firmware is not an infrequent problem.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

mikeslr wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:47 pm

Mike, no need to do anything. You may have already sorted it. It is now --as it should be-- its own thread rather than a reply. But I still recommend it be made a 'Sticky'. Missing firmware is not an infrequent problem.

Yah, I tend to agree with you. So as of now, I'll "sticky" this thread so's it'll always be easily found.

Done.

T'other Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Kernels”