Dog Linux/DebianDog in an encrypted partition

a very small Live CD shaped to look and act like Puppy Linux.

Moderator: fredx181

Luluc

Dog Linux/DebianDog in an encrypted partition

Post by Luluc »

Hello. I have been trying Dog Linux, which is more of a pure Debian that looks, sniffs and wags tail like a Puppy than a real Puppy.

But anyway, I have it in a virtual machine, I really like what I see and I want to install it on bare metal alongside another Linux as a serious candidate to replace that Linux. The only problem is, I only have one partition and it is LUKS encrypted. The existing OS is configured to unlock it at boot by means of fstab and crypttab.

Is it possible to add a frugal Dog Linux to that encrypted partition then add it to Grub so I can select it at boot? How would it be supposed to unlock the partition?

dancytron

Re: Dog Linux/DebianDog in an encrypted partition

Post by dancytron »

I have no idea.

DD is based on the Porteus file system and a quick google search revealed a 2015 forum post about doing it in porteus that maybe Fred etc might find useful in helping you.

https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?t=4317

https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?t=4165

Mostly it's just people saying to just encrypt a savefile instead.

Luluc

Re: Dog Linux/DebianDog in an encrypted partition

Post by Luluc »

dancytron wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:52 pm

Mostly it's just people saying to just encrypt a savefile instead.

That not only makes sense, it also occurred to me before I posted this thread, but it no longer makes sense in the context of a frugal install that shares its partition with something else because something else needs its own protection. For the foreseeable future, I need the LUKS encrypted partition. That's where Dog Linux will be until I decide it's tested well enough to be deemed ready for deployment. This, for example, is a major showstopper. I can't use a Linux that can't have Wine.

Note that the "full install" does not make any provision for encrypted partitions either. At all.

Return to “DebianDogs”