WIFI having trouble reconnecting after reboot

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

paperboy1994

WIFI having trouble reconnecting after reboot

Post by paperboy1994 »

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E520 11143AFU Laptop with 8GB Ram, 500 GB HDD and 2.40 GHZ processor speed with Windows 7 Professional and FossaPup64 9.5 frugal install. WIFI is Intel Centrino Wieless-N 1000 IEEE 802.11 b/g/n. Since I live in a mountainous rural area, my internet is via a DSL modem.

I set up WIFI following BIgPups's 14 step procedure. When I boot Windows 7, the WIFI always comes up. However when I boot FossaPup64 9.5, I often get"No Internet" and after multiple restarts, it eventually comes up.

I am a retired non-linux computer programmer and one of the tasks I worked on was operating system performance. I believe the problem I am having is that FossaPup64 9.5 boots so quickly that it doesn't give the Network Connection code adequate time to finish its work. Is there a command to increase the time that it waits or the number of retries allowed?

ozsouth

Re: WIFI having trouble reconnecting after reboot

Post by ozsouth »

@paperboy1994 - could be one of a few issues. Drivers/Firmware are the usual suspects, but if you think it's a timing thing, when you go to connect, try frisbee option. It makes several retries to connect, whereas simple network option waits before one try only. It is possible to insert pauses in seconds via sleep command (i.e. sleep 15).

A crude way to introduce a delay is to edit /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
& look for line which says: 'sleep 5 # in some cases network modules take some time to load'
(in original fossapup64-9.5, it's line 617)
Change sleep 5 to sleep 15 & save
Then reboot (with savefile or savefolder).
If timing is the issue, should help upon bootup thereafter.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I suggest you use a much newer version of Puppy Linux.

There has been a lot of work on how everything works in Puppy after Fossapup64 9.5 was released.
These changes are not in it or never will be.
A lot of work has been done in newer Puppy versions to improve WIFI connection.

BookwormPup64 has many of these updates and improvements.
Suggest you try that Puppy version.

One of them being a much improved way to do a WIFI connection.
It does everything for you automatically except you providing (one time) the required password for connection. (I assume your connection is setup to require a password)

If you are using a 5.0Ghz WIFI signal.
It can be affected by a lot of things that a 2.4Ghz signal not as much.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Alternatively, update the networking components. rerwin has provided much newer one since Fossapup64 was first published, viewtopic.php?p=2241#p2241.

paperboy1994

Post by paperboy1994 »

to ozsouth,
When I tried frisbee, it saw my neighbor's wifi but did not see mine. When I tried sleep 15, i could see the delay but the connection remained hit or miss.

to bigpup,
i downloadedBookwormPup64.10.0.4.iso and burned it to a usb stick. It booted fine and brought up my wifi as soon as i gave it my essid and password.i am having other problems which i am about to address in the bookworm section of the forum.

Return to “Fossapup64”