VoidPup not finding save file on boot (Solved)

Moderators: peebee, Forum moderators

cinclus

VoidPup not finding save file on boot (Solved)

Post by cinclus »

I have saved my first-time settings of a live-booted VoidPup64-22.02-230911.iso from an easy2boot-usb drive:

/dev/sda1/_ISO/LINUX/vpup64save-voidp64.4fs.

On reboot this file is not being found without additional boot-parameters (if that's possible at all).
Please help.

bigpup

Re: boot parameter for save file

Post by bigpup »

Try placing the save file in the top layer of the sda1 partition.

Not inside any directories.

Just on sda1 partition.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

cinclus

Post by cinclus »

Perfect! Thanx.

Derek B

Post by Derek B »

I’m using void pup 64 bit booting from the bios via grub4efi or grub4dos, (not sure)from a 4gb fat16 partition on a nmve2.0 4 TB drive. I have windows 11 on the rest of the drive, which after the efi and the reserved partition it leaves 3.8 TB for everything else.
So when ism asked to create a save file, the recommended partition of course is the 3.7 TB one. So I did create two save files there with different names of course, this after rebooting failed to find the first or the second created save file.
So in order to see if it would work I chose the 4GB partition for my third save file which did get loaded.
My best guess is to modify the menu.lst file (or the grub.cfg) to auto mount the larger partition.
Any thoughts about this?
Btw!! A big shout out of thanks to Mike Walsh!
Though I don’t know you either lol, you in a post I recently read detailed the very method I have always used to “frugal “ install any puppy Linux!lol just copy the files and folders from the cd and etc just a little bit of editing, so simple!
But a big thanks for sharing the detail of a small fat partition on the front of the drive for booting from, just beautiful, works well with windows 11, THANKS!

Clarity

Re: VoidPup not finding save file on boot (Solved)

Post by Clarity »

cinclus wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:26 am

... /dev/sda1/_ISO/LINUX/vpup64save-voidp64.4fs.

On reboot this file is not being found without additional boot-parameters (if that's possible at all).
Please help.

No problem: Just use the PSAVE= parm. I am assuming you have VOID Pup files on sda1.

1. When VOID Pup pauses at its Menu when you start the computer, edit the GRUB2 stanza you want to boot.

2. On the Linux line, add psave=/dev/sda1/_ISO/LINUX/vpup64save-voidp64.4fs

3. allow VOID to continue its boot to desktop

You should notice from messages, as it boots, that if finds the session you saved

Post back here if problems

Derek B

Re: VoidPup not finding save file on boot (Solved)

Post by Derek B »

Thanks for the reply dnd the solutions given; more detailed than my own solution.

I simply moved the entire void folder with all the files to the sda4 ntfs partition and modified the grub.cfg file to look there instead. :thumbup:

Return to “VoidPup”