MiniOS

Amol

MiniOS

Post by Amol »

Hello puppy users !
A new old OS in the puppyland called MiniOS, based on debian.A lot of versions available. Give it a try : https://minios.dev/en/
Best regards,
Amol

ally

Re: MiniOS

Post by ally »

website pages do not resolve correctly

for example, the downloads page shows the first three options but without download buttons visible, was able to reduce page size to view the rest but now can't see details

not sure why you can't just use a normal page scroll

:)

gychang

Post by gychang »

web link looks good here from bookwormpup64 with brave browser, was able to download Standard version very nice... :thumbup2:

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

Yep all OK this end with (Signature) and Firefox 115.0.3 (32bit) -

Also downloaded Standard (32bit), up and running in Persistence Mode OK -

If you are hunting for the user name and user password they are:

User Name = live

User Password = evil

Root Password = toor

Host Name = minios

User password is user name backwards and toor is root backwards, cryptology at its most basic -

Best regards

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

BionicPup32+28 19.03 - Linux 4.9.163 - lxpup - 32-pae [i686] - (UPup Bionic Beaver)
Frugal Install - Internal HDD - Gateway MX8716b - HDD 120GB - RAM 2GB

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

wiak

Post by wiak »

Amol wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:12 pm

Hello puppy users !
A new old OS in the puppyland called MiniOS, based on debian.A lot of versions available. Give it a try : https://minios.dev/en/
Best regards,
Amol

Though root filesystem debian-based, the frugal install capabilities are from Tomas M, Slax initrd. i.e. Linux live scripts. I was confused by the first post since I understood the post as meaning it was a 'puppyland' OS, which it isn't. Looks like a nice distro though.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

I tried it. I installed it to a partition on internal SSD. Seriously just copied directories from the iso and then ran the sh boot loader installer script. This nuked previous bootloader. For life of me couldnt get it to boot with anything else, though sure its possible, but lot manual editing. I didnt try real hard. It hides stuff for those that cant stand to see bootup menu/text rolling on screen. Once booted looks like MX, only with its own wallpaper. Save folder just automagical to same partition as system files.

Its very stable, apt works. Fast and clean. I had no problem installing easytether offline without hunting for libraries, etc. It just installed and worked. This is a good thing. I am dependent on either easytether or azilink to share internet from my phone. And one needs internet before one can download the packages some distributions need to support easytether/azilink...

Downside for me, tried installing PlayOnLinux via apt, it installed and in turn let me install WINE 6.18-staging. But then crashed when I tried to install Kindle4PC of any kind. PlayOnLinux is crashy PITA on some distributions. No problem on MX23.

crims0n

Post by crims0n »

wiak wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:41 am
Amol wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:12 pm

Hello puppy users !
Best regards,
Amol

Though root filesystem debian-based, the frugal install capabilities are from Tomas M, Slax initrd. i.e. Linux live scripts. I was confused by the first post since I understood the post as meaning it was a 'puppyland' OS, which it isn't. Looks like a nice distro though.

That's right, a modified LiveKit init is used, which has the same functionality as Slax with some new features. Optionally, you can use the UIRD as the main initrd. MiniOS has no direct relation to puppy.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

mouldy wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:29 pm

I tried it. I installed it to a partition on internal SSD. Seriously just copied directories from the iso and then ran the sh boot loader installer script. This nuked previous bootloader. For life of me couldnt get it to boot with anything else, though sure its possible, but lot manual editing.

@mouldy :-

About the worst thing you could do with something like this. Really NOT designed for running from a main internal drive. And definitely not dual-booting with Pups/other Linux distros/Windoze.

I'm playing around with the 'Ultimate' version......installed on, and running from a fast SanDisk USB 3.0 Gen 2 thumb drive. Bootloader and everything else all on the same drive. I just boot it through the options in Grub4DOS's 'Advanced' section. I might add a 'chainloader' to Grub4DOS, in the same way as I've done with HaikuOS. The latter is running from the 64GB PATA SSD I rescued from the anciente Inspiron lappie when it kicked the bucket last year. Sits in a home-made enclosure I cobbled together from an old Compaq floppy-disk storage box I must have had 30+ years, and connects via a USB 3.0 -> SATA cable, and a SATA/PATA adapter directly on the drive pins.

Works well, too. I've found out through trial & error that alternate OSs outside the Puppysphere run best from their own dedicated drives. Lets them use their own bootloaders & drive formats that are set up just the way they like it!

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

crims0n

Post by crims0n »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:20 pm

alternate OSs outside the Puppysphere run best from their own dedicated drives

MiniOS does not need a special boot loader separate partition or disk. For the system to work it is enough to copy only the minios folder to disk, then add entries in grub2/grub4dos/syslinux. MiniOS is specially made to work everywhere and to be installed in any way. There is support for VMware, VirtualBox, Hyper-V, XEN, QEMU, you can install or run with Ventoy, Balena Etcher, UNetbootin, Rufus and so on. You can also use the boot loader from minios/boot.

xdv

Post by xdv »

Apache web server successfully installed on MiniOs.
How to install PHP?

XenialPup 32-bit

Return to “Other Distros”