Vol up, Vol down & Mute buttons don't work in Fossapup64

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

Bill_Gates

Vol up, Vol down & Mute buttons don't work in Fossapup64

Post by Bill_Gates »

I can't get the physical Vol up, Vol down & Mute buttons to work on my Dell e6430 when running Fossapup64. They worked fine when running xenialpup64 and older distros and they worked out of the box. Both distros find the same sound card on my laptop, and except for the button thing, sound works fine when running both distros.
I'd really like to get the sound buttons working. Any help is appreciated.

bigpuppyfan

Re: Vol up, Vol down & Mute buttons don't work in Fossapup64

Post by bigpuppyfan »

To get them working, you'll first need to know what are the keycodes for those buttons. On terminal, run xev. Every time you press a key, you will get an output in terminal of a few lines. For instance, I pressed F1 (while that white box is showing), and got

Code: Select all

KeyPress event, serial 36, synthetic NO, window 0x2a00001,
    root 0x28d, subw 0x0, time 2573924, (164,-18), root:(464,309),
    state 0x0, keycode 67 (keysym 0xffbe, F1), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
    XFilterEvent returns: False

Make notes of the keycode for vol up, down and mute (3rd line, 67 in this example).

Then, go to Menu --> Desktop --> JWMDesk Manager --> JWM Hotkey

There probably will already be entries where there is exec:amixer +1 , -1 and Toggle, you might just have to change the key code if so.

If the key code is correct, the command it is executing could be wrong. Right click the volume icon on tray --> Mixer and make note of the name of the output you want to adjust with the buttons (could be Master, Speaker, etc, depends on the soundcard/driver)

Suppose it is "Master". On JWM Hotkey, to increase the volume, the command that the vol up button should perform would be "exec:amixer sset Master 1+,1+". Case sensitive
For vol down: exec:amixer sset Master 1-,1-
To mute/unmute: exec:amixer sset Master Toggle

Return to “Fossapup64”