USB Install: Fossapup from Slacko.

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

GusCE6

USB Install: Fossapup from Slacko.

Post by GusCE6 »

Long story short, the mighty ASUS gave up the ghost. I am now using a Windows 10 Dell Latitude E5430. 16 GB RAM. It is superior to the ASUS, but Windows 10...aaaarrrrgh.

I attempted to install Fossapup for a Dual Boot system as I did with the 2012 Windows 8 ASUS, the 2001 Sony VAIO, and the 2003 Windows XP Dell, but the LICK installer does not work here for some reason an error message about the bootloader or some such thing appears.

However, the USB Slacko 6.3.0 when plugged in...it does fire up.

So I attempted to install Fossapup on the USB stick but the only thing the installer wants so far is another Slacko install. Using that Windows app resulted in an invisible USB stick.

So how do I install Fossapup onto a USB stick from Slacko 6.3.0? Please be VERY detailed.

By the by I also have VirtualBox installed with Windows 2000. This is so I can play "Tanktics," arguably the best game with a pterodactyl carrying a horseshoe magnet able to lift metal, wood, and stone ever made.

Thanks!

bigpup

Re: USB Install: Fossapup from Slacko.

Post by bigpup »

For Lick.
Are you trying to use the latest version?
https://github.com/noryb009/lick

Also reading the possible issues and how to fix them.

So I attempted to install Fossapup on the USB stick but the only thing the installer wants so far is another Slacko install. Using that Windows app resulted in an invisible USB stick.

So how do I install Fossapup onto a USB stick from Slacko 6.3.0? Please be VERY detailed.

No info provided on exactly what installer you used. The ones in Slacko 6.3.0 are not updated to working with much newer computers.

I assume you can boot the Slacko 6.3.0 USB to a working desktop and can run programs from it.
Use programs in it to do an install to another USB stick.

Suggest use this method:
viewtopic.php?t=5313

Note:
At selecting source:
Choose ISO and point it to location of the Fossapup64 9.5 ISO

Slacko 6.3.0 probably does not have the StickPup installer program, but how to get the installer in Slacko is provided at bottom of post.
You download and install the Frugalpup Installer.
StickPup is one of the programs it installs.

You may want to try a much newer version of Puppy.

F96-CE (Fossapup64 update)

BookwormPup64

One of the Vanilla Dpups

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikeslr

Re: USB Install: Fossapup from Slacko.

Post by mikeslr »

Suggest installing and using grub2config, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 703#p29703 rather than frugalpup.

Detailed recipe here, viewtopic.php?t=375&sid=2c28c113d07da21 ... bb8a24ba0e for installing to a USB-Key.

Return to “Beginners Help”