How to install Puppy Slacko64 7.0 from iso on USB?

Moderator: Forum moderators

lukvdl

How to install Puppy Slacko64 7.0 from iso on USB?

Post by lukvdl »

Hello,

I have a laptop ASUS K70IC : 4 GB RAM and 120 GB SSD.
Actually on it : Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS.
Now I want to change to Puppy Linux Slacko64 Puppy 7.0, of which I have the iso on a bootable USB.
I wanted to change the boot order, but I do not see the USB mentioned in the BIOS/UEFI.
So, what to do ?
Do I have first to remove completely the Ubuntu distribution, or ?

Please can you give me a working solution ?
Thanks in advance for your reply.

Best regards.

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Installation of Puppy Linux Slacko64 Puppy 7.0

Post by rockedge »

One method would be to add a boot stanza in the existing grub.cfg that will boot the Puppy Linux using the Ubuntu installed boot loader.

sonny

Post by sonny »

:welcome: aboard, @lukvdl!

lukvdl

Post by lukvdl »

rockedge wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:52 pm

One method would be to add a boot stanza in the existing grub.cfg that will boot the Puppy Linux using the Ubuntu installed boot loader.

Thanks, but how to realize this?

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @lukvdl
Not sure what you mean about having Puppy ISO; I'll assume you followed some instructions somewhere to use Ubuntu to put the ISO on an external store.

I did find this 1-min video. Does this help you open your laptop's BIOS? <=== click

Also, if your external is a bootable unit (aka USB/SDcard) you can also interrupt the PC at its power-on start to temporarily change the boot device. This 30-second video might help you choose the external.

Hope this helps
Edit: You show that you are using Ubuntu. There are several forum threads about using distro that are inline or match your skills from Ubuntu. Slacko/Slackware PUPs are different from Ubuntu/Debian PUPs. Here are 2 forum distros that are consistnent with Ubuntu: BookworkPup64 and the older FossaPup64. Those may be a better ISO choice to enter Puppyland.

Last edited by Clarity on Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wiak

Post by wiak »

lukvdl wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:31 pm

Actually on it : Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS.
Now I want to change to Puppy Linux Slacko64 Puppy 7.0, of which I have the iso on a bootable USB.
I wanted to change the boot order, but I do not see the USB mentioned in the BIOS/UEFI.

Post a photo of the BIOS/UEFI screen to show the window of that about boot order management. I'm surprised if none of the entries are for USB booting. Maybe called USB harddrive?
As @rockedge said, an alternative would be to make a frugal install of your Slacko64 Pup on the internal hard drive and arrange for Ubuntu grub2 to boot it via some new grub2 menu stanza put into Ubuntu filesystem in file, usually named: /etc/grub.d/40_custorm

If you have the iso on that usb, you could in theory also manage to boot it via Ubuntu boot menu using a suitable boot from iso grub2 menu stanza put into Ubuntu filesystem /etc/grub.d/40_custom

For that boot from iso on usb, you'd first have to determine the UUID of the usb stick (or know its LABEL), which you can find with blkid command. Then you'd use a menu stanza edited into /etc/grub.d/40_custom that would be something like. EDIT: below method didn't involve need to determine UUID or LABEL):

Code: Select all

menuentry 'Slacko Pup' {
  set isopath='/BOOTISOS/slacko.iso'
  search --no-floppy --file --set=root $isopath
  loopback loop $isopath
  linux (loop)/vmlinuz boot=live config iso-scan/filename=$isopath  noprompt noeject
  initrd (loop)/initrd.gz
}

or if above more generic try doesn't work, determine which partition and then use that partition (such as hd1,0 or hd1,1) as follows:

Code: Select all

menuentry 'Slacko Pup' {
  set isopath='/BOOTISOS/slacko.iso'
  loopback loop (hd1,1)$isopath
  linux (loop)/vmlinuz boot=live config iso-scan/filename=$isopath  noprompt noeject
  initrd (loop)/initrd.gz
}

Once you have the iso basically booting, you could probably modify the grub menu linux line to include pmedia and pfix info at the end like: pmedia=cd pfix=nocopy or whatever you want. I'm afraid I no longer remember Puppy boot arguments well at all.

You might additionally need the likes of:

insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2

as first two lines of the menuentry.

NOTE: I have just typed above from memory (actually cherrytree notes), but haven't had time to try using actual iso on usb stick. Also, I put path on usb stick to the iso as /BOOTISOS/slacko.iso above. You need to change that to suit your actual installation.

IMPORTANT FINAL STEP

Finally, you need to boot into the Ubuntu distro and run the command: sudo update-grub to actually make the 40_config entry active in main grub menu. If you later want to change the boot order, the file to do that is /etc/default/grub. In there, from memory, you change the GRUB_DEFAULT=0 to maybe GRUB_DEFAULT=1 (being whichever position your distro of interest is in). But leave that order of boot change till after you have the iso successfully booting! ;-)

Above menu stanzas may well need some fixing so keep posting results and someone should finish this job off for you.

NOTE WELL: If you ever want to similarly boot a Kennel Linux (KL) distro using method like the above, see the following post and modify above stanzas accordingly: https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 641#p97641

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

lukvdl

Post by lukvdl »

Hello,
Problem is solved : my own mistake !
Topic can be closed.
Thanks and best regards.

bigpup

Re: How to install Puppy Slacko64 7.0 from iso on USB?

Post by bigpup »

What did you do wrong and what did work???

Give us the end of the story???

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

lukvdl

Re: How to install Puppy Slacko64 7.0 from iso on USB?

Post by lukvdl »

Hello,
I just forgot that I had to use the F2 button to change the boot order.
Best regards.

Return to “Slacko”