EasyOS won't boot using Ventoy: "No space left on device"

Moderator: BarryK

libertas

EasyOS won't boot using Ventoy: "No space left on device"

Post by libertas »

Hi,

First of all, thank you for providing EasyOS for the community.
It has some features that I have to still grasp tottaly.

My first question is this:
I use Ventoy to create a USB drive to boot from different operating systems.
It has an EFI partition, another for the ISOs/imgs and a third one that I labeled 'data' for saving configs, etc.

After copying Kirkstone for the first time, EasyOS boots fine but is set to expand the filesystem, it seems.
The .img stays at the same size, though.

I do a frugal installation to a nvme disk in a ext4 partition.
If I want to boot again from the USB stick, EasyOS tells that it has no space left and aborts.
Then, from another OS, I have to copy the img file again to replace it in the USB stick.

Is this the intended behaviour?
If not what is wrong and what should I do about it?

BarryK

Re: EasyOS won't boot: "No space left on device"

Post by BarryK »

Please do not use Ventoy.

Just create a usb stick to boot easyos on its own. A stick at least 16gb.

If you really must use Ventoy, there are some recent posts that explain how.

But please don't. Ventoy messes around something awful with how a distro is intended to work.

HarveyH

Re: EasyOS won't boot using Ventoy: "No space left on device"

Post by HarveyH »

The only way I can get EasyOS to boot is to use Ventoy. My system refuses to allow the USB drive to boot because Secure Boot is on*. Ventoy, bypasses all that.

Quick Guide:

Boot up your Ventoy drive and press F2.
Find the EasyOS USB drive, On mine, it's a 7 meg FAT partition on hd0
Dig down to the EFI64 file and press enter.
EasyOS boots wonderfully.

Next ... if you want to get fancy and have a MUCH quicker system

Make an image of your USB drive after you have booted it and set up the OS.
Name the image EasyOS.img and put it on your Ventoy drive.
Boot from the image in the Ventoy menu and enjoy.

The EasyOS .img file works great in Ventoy and runs smoother than using the OS from a flashdrive. It also makes backups easy since there is only one file to back up.

* Even if there was away to enter a key into the EFI BIOS to allow EasyOS to boot from the flashdrive, I wouldn't do it. The flashdrives takes a million years to save changes. Booting the img from Ventory gives me a super-fast running system (it's on an SSD).

BarryK

Re: EasyOS won't boot: "No space left on device"

Post by BarryK »

BarryK wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:11 pm

Please do not use Ventoy.

Just create a usb stick to boot easyos on its own. A stick at least 16gb.

If you really must use Ventoy, there are some recent posts that explain how.

But please don't. Ventoy messes around something awful with how a distro is intended to work.

Ha ha, you guys, if you want to use Ventoy and it works for you, for dual-booting and/or with secure-boot, then ok.

See also HarveyH's other thread:

viewtopic.php?t=9755

HarveyH

Post by HarveyH »

What does Ventoy do that's so terrible? I am truly curious. I have never had any problems with it. On my notebook, it's the *only* way to boot something besides Windows and a very few Debian-based Linuxes. I couldn't use any Puppy at all without it.

You are the tech guy. What's wrong with Ventoy?

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

HarveyH wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:08 pm

What does Ventoy do that's so terrible? I am truly curious. I have never had any problems with it. On my notebook, it's the *only* way to boot something besides Windows and a very few Debian-based Linuxes. I couldn't use any Puppy at all without it.

You are the tech guy. What's wrong with Ventoy?

I did look into how Ventoy works awhile back ...can't remember the details now, just the impression that it left me with.

Ummm, trying to recall... does Ventoy use its own linux kernel, not the one provided with Easy? That thought popped into my mind. If the memory is correct, it compromises some capabilities of Easy, such as no longer able to bootup "running totally in ram, all drives disabled", plus some other features.

HarveyH

Post by HarveyH »

Maybe you are thinking of an older version of either or both.

My ***guess*** is that Ventory passes the Secure boot test (it has a key I needed to add) and then loads the bootloader of whatever it's trying to boot and runs it. In order to boot an EasyOS flash drive, I have to manually dig down to the EFIx64 file and choose it. An image works out of the box.

I doubt it is using its own kernel for the OS. Ventoy can boot Linux, Windows, BSD and a bunch of other OSes too, Perhaps it does have its own kernel, but if so, it dumps it in favor of the Linux's kernel.

Qualifier: Having never seen EasyOS boot directly off of the flash drive, its quite possible something weird is happening, but I promise you, EasyOS works 100% beautifully with it; even the ram-only no drives type of bootup.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

After experience reported by Clarity, I must repeat my warning not to use Ventoy:

viewtopic.php?p=104865#p104865

Just for the record, although I know success has now been reported booting Easy on Ventoy, my own attempt back in March this year was a dismal failure:

https://bkhome.org/news/202303/easyos-4 ... ither.html

...I presume that the Ventoy developers have done something to improve the situation since then?

Alright, so now it boots. But not good if things are broken, as Clarity has reported.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

BarryK wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:11 am

After experience reported by Clarity, I must repeat my warning not to use Ventoy:

viewtopic.php?p=104865#p104865

Just for the record, although I know success has now been reported booting Easy on Ventoy, my own attempt back in March this year was a dismal failure:

https://bkhome.org/news/202303/easyos-4 ... ither.html

...I presume that the Ventoy developers have done something to improve the situation since then?

Alright, so now it boots. But not good if things are broken, as Clarity has reported.

I had to test Ventoy for myself, and it looks good. The Ventoy developers have fixed whatever was causing boot failure in March 2023 when I last tried to use Ventoy.

I increased the img file to 8GB:

Code: Select all

# truncate -s 8G easy-5.6.4-amd64.img
# sync

And that was it, Easy booted. I did a quick test of a command that Clarity reported a failure:

Code: Select all

# swapon --show
NAME           TYPE       SIZE USED PRIO
/dev/nvme1n1p6 partition 62.5G   0B   -2

No problem. Looks good so far.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

BarryK wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:21 am

... I had to test Ventoy for myself ...

Thanks for going further to see for yourself.

I am NOT pushing Ventoy, even though I have been testing-using it for over a year with all sorts of both ISO files and IMG files in order to understand strong points and weak. I strongly recommend this arrangement for managing ISO+IMG files for reasons I wont cover here. No worry as Ventoy WILL find all files for launch.

Build Ventoy USB 6.jpg
Build Ventoy USB 6.jpg (9.91 KiB) Viewed 556 times

AS well, I have done extensive testing of it booting all of this forum's ISO & IMG offerings while providing guidance to those where it would help.

Thanks Barry, again for taking a moment to review.

I am not sure if you use QEMU VMs for test, but I have also booted your IMG, BOTH in its file directly, as well as, via a Ventoy USB containing the EASY IMG with the multimedia features operational and capable of accessing the host to share files via SAMBA. So these 2 tests including launching it directly from the Ventoy USB on bare-metal are 3 successes I can report getting to desktop...albeit some of what I think are minor annoyances once there.

Lastly, the Ventoy forum is monitored and actively scanned by their devs to answer users, in review.

FYI only

HarveyH

Post by HarveyH »

I will add my thanks. It was so confusing having the guy who created the thing saying, "Don't do it. It won't work" while viewing that exact post on a *working* system. Seems that the problems with Ventoy were solved. I'm glad because that's the only way a puppy (or anything other than Windows 10/11) will boot on the bare metal of my system. Puppies have always worked fine in a VM, but I'd much rather have them running at full speed with the full power of my system.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hi @BarryK

Assuming

• a Ventoy USB launch of the IMG file where it boots to desktop.

• I have a persistence partition for keeping all session files in a folder named 'Sessions'

Questions

1. is there a parm that could/should be used for the EASY IMG booting that can direct the location for the session to be saved as EASY-save folder within the existing /Sessions folder?

2. And how does one intercept the IMG start, say, at its boot Menu to enter this component that would direct to find/create the session(s)?

Thanos

Post by Thanos »

Now,I can use ventoy-1.0.97 boot easy-5.6.5-amd64.img easily.No any problem.

Return to “EasyOS”