HOW TO.... destroy windows 11 requirements

pp4mnklinux

HOW TO.... destroy windows 11 requirements

Post by pp4mnklinux »

HOW TO... DESTROY WIN11 REQUIREMENTS https://puppyxfcefusilli.wordpress.com/ ... uirements/

It's not a puppy related item, but it could be interesting in case you need.

It's interesting and it can help someone..... (and, of course, limit win benef.)

esos

Re: HOW TO.... destroy windows 11 requirements

Post by esos »

HOW TO... DESTROY WIN11 REQUIREMENTS https://puppyxfcefusilli.wordpress.com/ ... uirements/

Sofar I remember that methode has known since w7. That (virtual)windows can run also on internal HD.
Only light applications will work on it for sure not for gaming.

trawglodyte

Post by trawglodyte »

How individualized in this secure boot stuff? Right now I'm booting Debian, Deepin v23, Manjaro, several Puppy's, WIN10 PRO, and WIN11 PRO with settings mostly tweaked for Linux and performance. But I'd have to tell you at least a 1/2 dozen settings in BIOS related to secure boot, which may mean nothing to someone else. I also noticed one of my options changed when I updated the BIOS firmware version, and further noticed a change in WIN11 policy at least once. Am I right to think it's all subject to whatever Microsoft decides to do next week or in 6 months?

I don't need Windows and don't really care if I can't boot them any longer, just wondering. It was switching on my TPM in order to "upgrade" from Win10 to Win11, and realizing Microsoft can now lock me out of my own computer that was the straw that broke the back and made me start getting serious about Linux a little over a year ago.

At any rate, it's good to see people are developing tools to deal with it!

Like a monkey trying to fly a space-ship. What's this button do?
Like a 12-yr old trying to wire a house. Gonna get zapped!

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

trawglodyte wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:08 pm

How individualized in this secure boot stuff? Right now I'm booting Debian, Deepin v23, Manjaro, several Puppy's, WIN10 PRO, and WIN11 PRO with settings mostly tweaked for Linux and performance. But I'd have to tell you at least a 1/2 dozen settings in BIOS related to secure boot, which may mean nothing to someone else. I also noticed one of my options changed when I updated the BIOS firmware version, and further noticed a change in WIN11 policy at least once. Am I right to think it's all subject to whatever Microsoft decides to do next week or in 6 months?

I don't need Windows and don't really care if I can't boot them any longer, just wondering. It was switching on my TPM in order to "upgrade" from Win10 to Win11, and realizing Microsoft can now lock me out of my own computer that was the straw that broke the back and made me start getting serious about Linux a little over a year ago.

At any rate, it's good to see people are developing tools to deal with it!

there was something about w 11 not being workable without TPM, causing a lot of older machines to be replaced. Dunno if MS decided to enforce that as first planned or not, but good deals on the horizion for non TPM machines.

"lock me out" do you mean that MS can disable a machine at any time after W11 is installed?

trawglodyte

Post by trawglodyte »

williwaw wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:43 pm

"lock me out" do you mean that MS can disable a machine at any time after W11 is installed?

Take it with a large grain of salt, because I don't fully understand all the technology involved. But I think it's a key pair system with a pair stored in your TPM, a "key" is essentially a long password with theirs being cryptographically sealed so you can't see it. So, yah, IMO it equates to having a car which requires you and someone from Ford to both put a key in and turn it to start your "car", in this case OS.

I myself got locked out of Win11 after installing it and then making some other changes. But it seems to me they changed policy since then. I do recall messages about detecting an illegal operating system on my machine (I can't remember the exact terminology). I also think the technology used for Microsoft's bitlocker system of encrypting storage allows them to lock you out of your storage drives it if they want.

Of course the sales pitch is it's all for our security, (they will protect us from the baddies until we get into our Windows OS where it's safe and warm) which isn't a lie persay, I just think it also puts Microsoft in a position to perhaps move towards a subscription model at some point. You don't pay the $5.99/mo and you can't use your computer? Perhaps other uses of it for law enforcement, feds, and so forth.

Like a monkey trying to fly a space-ship. What's this button do?
Like a 12-yr old trying to wire a house. Gonna get zapped!

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

trawglodyte wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:15 am

[Of course the sales pitch is it's all for our security, (they will protect us from the baddies until we get into our Windows OS where it's safe and warm) which isn't a lie persay, I just think it also puts Microsoft in a position to perhaps move towards a subscription model at some point. You don't pay the $5.99/mo and you can't use your computer? Perhaps other uses of it for law enforcement, feds, and so forth.

You must always remember, Windows is not an operating system, "Windows is a service."

After the third multi-hour update of Windows 10, and the day I went from BionicPup to Fossapup64_9.5, I was done with Microsoft for good. I erased every last crumb of windows from my devices.

One of the big selling points of puppy way back when I discovered Puppy 4.32, and then Lucid Puppy, was that you could install it right on the windows XP c: drive and dual boot without windows even noticing. I won't even log onto my MSoutlook work account now. It's that over-the-top oppressive to me. I have my emails forwarded to a personal address.

As far as I'm concerned MS is uploading every keystroke you make while using their "service."

With the distros we have on this forum, and the build methods, you can basically have any liinux distro in a portable read-only format. And it just keeps getting better and better.

If you have to use windows because of your work organization, I understand. But the way intel and microsoft are working together, there will be fewer and fewer options to "beat them at their own game."

It's a pity, because actually I was fairly impressed with how well win10 ran. It seemed to manage memory well and be quite snappy. But the fact that I would turn on my machine and have it hi-jacked for an update completely rendered any positive performance meaningless.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Return to “Other Distros”