Installed Seamonkey on new remaster, all HTTPS connections broken now.

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

grey38

Installed Seamonkey on new remaster, all HTTPS connections broken now.

Post by grey38 »

I really love Puppy and I've wanted to try to learn more about how I can customize it. So I've done a remaster of BionicPup32 8.0, it worked WAY better than the older version the last time I tried this. It worked really well for most things. One issue that has come up is that I wanted to change out the web browser (which is "Light Browser" which I could not figure out how to remove) and replace it with Seamonkey for various reasons. I installed seamonkey and made sure it was working and it did. I made it into a remaster using the built in tools and burnt the .ISO to a CD. It works and boots fine! I'm pretty happy with it overall. But now after being burned to a CD Seamonkey can't barely go to any websites because of HTTPS errors. It can only go to unencrypted HTTP websites. I thought maybe it was a clock issue because I know having a clock set wrong can mess up any crypto stuff, but I did set it to the closest time zone to me and then set the date and time correctly.

Now what's weird is that it's ONLY Seamonkey. The 'Light Browser' works on all websites, so it's literally just a Seamonkey problem. But the thing is that it's only an issue that occurs AFTER I remake it into a remaster of Puppy. If I just boot up a fresh Puppy Linux and install Seamonkey, it's fine. No issue. But when I bundle it into a remaster, suddenly no HTTPS.

So, does anyone have any idea what causes this?

mikewalsh

Re: Installed Seamonkey on new remaster, all HTTPS connections broken now.

Post by mikewalsh »

@grey38 :-

Hm. O-kayyy...

The one big disadvantage of re-mastering any browser into Puppy - and then burning it to a CD - is that you're then stuck with that version of it. You cannot update it because of the read-only nature of an optical disc.

Far better to run the 'portable' version of SeaMonkey from a suitably formatted flash drive. All its config files are separately contained within the portable directory, and you can run this version of the browser on ANY Linux box.

In fact, I would strongly recommend installing & running Puppy itself from a flash drive. Far more versatile, and much easier to modify like that. Like this, both Puppy AND the 'portable' browser are both on the same device. We do have a few diehards who still prefer to run from an optical disc, but this entails having an optical drive in the first place. No new machines come with them any longer, older machines with 'em will only last so long, and external optical drives, though you can get 'em, can be problematic where booting is concerned.

I've just set-up Fossapup64 on a 128 GB SanDisk thumb-drive, along with a whole bunch of portable apps & browsers and around 100 GB of movies. The browsers'n'stuff will keep up to date, and using Grub2Config for installing the bootloader has made sure it'll boot with both traditional MBR BIOS AND modern UEFI machines......meaning it'll run anywhere.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Insanitor

Re: Installed Seamonkey on new remaster, all HTTPS connections broken now.

Post by Insanitor »

If you decide to reinstall Seamonkey, I can tell you that I’ve never seen it in any format other than srs.

So you unpack it to the directory of your choice unless Seamonkey comes with a .desktop file. Then I would suggest you unpack it according to how that file is set up.

I’m sorry I can’t give a detailed tutorial because Linux is new to me but installing Seamonkey is one of the few things I’ve been able to do successfully. It’s not like I’ve ever been able to figure out how to do anything else…

When I go, the smiles and the laughs go with me.

Return to “Beginners Help”