[CLOSED] Chromium - 32 & 64 bit - runs-as-spot

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Re: Chromium - 32 & 64 bit - runs-as-spot

Post by mikewalsh »

xenial wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:23 pm

Seeing as peebee keeps these chromiums up to date it may be prudent to perhaps consider using one of peter's excellent puppy flavours like scpup or jammypup etc if vanilla chromium is a preference.
i run vanilla chromium on scpup and it runs smooth as silk.

@xenial :-

TBH, I run so many of the clones that I can't really say any specific one "takes my fancy" any more. They all use the same set of bookmarks, and all run the same range of extensions.

The 'clones' have become much of a muchness as far as I'm concerned. All very reliable, of course; I suppose if I had to single any particular one out it would probably be Opera. Closely followed by Chrome itself, then Iron & Slimjet tying for a very close 3rd place.....

A browser is a browser, and as long as it lets me do what I want, without fuss, then I'm satisfied with it. Whether Chromium-based or 'zilla-based makes zero difference any more; they're the "glue" that holds our community together, and so long as I can access the Puppy forum, it's a case of "job done" as far as I'm concerned.

I understand others have individual preferences, and that's why I package as many as I can.....my motto has always been "choice in all things".

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

ahoppin

Post by ahoppin »

An update on this. Peebee, thanks for the Alien Bob repackage. It worked beautifully for me on a bare pfix=ram Bionic.

Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work when I had the save folder loaded. Presumably it didn't like something else that I had installed.

It opened the browser window, but any time I touched a key with the cursor in that window (URL or a field on the webpage), it segfaulted and crashed.

I wasn't keen to junk my save folder and start over, so I spent several hours trying different ideas to make it work. No dice.

Eventually I gave up, and just made a separate save folder solely for using the growing number of annoying websites that insist on Chromium.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@ahoppin :-

I don't know whether you've got Compton (the window compositor) installed or enabled on your system, but we discovered it was having a similar effect on Chrome itself, a little while back:-

viewtopic.php?t=4727

HerrBert detailed the actual 'fix' for this, here:-

viewtopic.php?p=48480#p48480

May help, may not.....

Mike. ;)

ahoppin

Post by ahoppin »

Bull's eye. Knocking compton upside the head set Chromium free.

Mr Walsh, thank you for kindly directing me to that thread. Thanks also to HerrBert, mikeslr, xenial, thinkpadfreak, and all the rest of the pupperazi who helped solve the mystery.

Thanks again also to Peebee, for the Bionic64-friendly retro-chromium. Y'all are geniuses. (Genii?)

FWIW, I put compton into suspended animation without modifying menus by issuing these four quick shell commands:

cd /usr/bin
mv compton compton.disabled
cat /dev/null > compton
chmod ugo+x compton

After a reboot, compton is a no-op.

Maybe compton is the cat's meow, or the puppy's bark, for some folks who like what it does. But I'll be durned if I have a clue what that is, because I don't see any difference with it snoozing over there in the sun.

gilles

Post by gilles »

Hello,
I use Bionic 32 with the azerty french keyboard.
I downloaded chromiumUBB.sfs there : https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... /browsers/
It works fine, except one problem : I can write ê (dead_circumflex + e) or ô (dead_circumflex + o) and others letters with the dead_circumflex, using abiword, or firefox, but it is impossible using chromium : I have only e or o (or others letters), without circumflex.

With Geany, I gone to see in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/fr and everything is normal : line "key <AD11>", "dead_circumflex" is in the first place.

So, I do not understand what is wrong with Chromium, especialy since dead_circumflex works perfectly using abiword or firefox. But I have another problem with firefox, and so, I should prefer to solve this chromium problem.

Thank you

mimine

Post by mimine »

gilles wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:27 pm

Hello,
I downloaded chromiumUBB.sfs there : https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... /browsers/
It works fine, except one problem : I can write ê (dead_circumflex + e) or ô (dead_circumflex + o) and others letters with the dead_circumflex, using abiword, or firefox, but it is impossible using chromium : I have only e or o (or others letters), without circumflex.

With Geany, I gone to see in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/fr and everything is normal : line "key <AD11>", "dead_circumflex" is in the first place.

So, I do not understand what is wrong with Chromium, especialy since dead_circumflex works perfectly using abiword or firefox. But I have another problem with firefox, and so, I should prefer to solve this chromium problem.

Thank you

yes it's a known bug in google chrome and chromium.

gilles

Post by gilles »

mimine wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:19 pm
gilles wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:27 pm

Hello,

Thank you

yes it's a known bug in google chrome and chromium.

Hello,
I found the way to solve the problem.
But since it can interest only french speaking people, I gave the solution in the french part of this forum, there : viewtopic.php?t=7663

mimine

Post by mimine »

gilles wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:13 pm

Hello,
But since it can interest only french speaking people, I gave the solution in the french part of this forum, there : viewtopic.php?t=7663

It's not a real solution, it's just a hack by using another keyboard layout , the problem is still in chrome until they solve it.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

mimine wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:27 pm
gilles wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:13 pm

Hello,

It's not a real solution, it's just a hack by using another keyboard layout , the problem is still in chrome until they solve it.

@mimine :-

But gilles has solved HIS problem. Why be so down on the guy about it? Come to that, why are you so "bothered" about "real" solutions, anyway? Most of the computing world is full of hacks of one kind or another.....

Technically "correct" solutions are few & far between, in all honesty.

Mike. :|

gilles

Post by gilles »

Hello,
@mikewalsh
Thank you for your comment.
Yes, I found the way to solve MY problem.
May be, others puppy linux users have the same problem, and I just want to give them the way to solve it.
This forum is made for helping each other. Isn't it ?

Semme

Post by Semme »

Howdy Gang.

Would someone kindly tell me if and how to get the 64b build here to show hyperlink URL's on mouse over.

TIA

Don't down-play advice based on post count.

peebee

Re: [CLOSED] Chromium - 32 & 64 bit - runs-as-spot

Post by peebee »

This thread is CLOSED - see:
viewtopic.php?p=108744#p108744
for latest versions

scroll back from end of thread - e.g.
viewtopic.php?p=96621#p96621

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

Return to “Browsers and Internet”