BookwormPup64 10.0.6

Moderator: Forum moderators

sonny

Re: BookwormPup64 10.0.4

Post by sonny »

radky wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:41 pm

BW64 provides legacy FrugalPup installers but also supports external installers such as Unebootin and Rufus when creating bootable USB media in UEFI and MBR modes. However, BW64 does not support Ventoy.

What did you mean by "BW64 does not support Ventoy?"

Ventoy does boot BW64 but it does not fully function in Ventoy?

galen

Post by galen »

sonny wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:00 pm
radky wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:41 pm

BW64 provides legacy FrugalPup installers but also supports external installers such as Unebootin and Rufus when creating bootable USB media in UEFI and MBR modes. However, BW64 does not support Ventoy.

What did you mean by "BW64 does not support Ventoy?"

Ventoy does boot BW64 but it does not fully function in Ventoy?

problems I've had with Ventoy [on fat32 USB]
is that it will not allow saving of savefile due to read-only mounted Ventoy boot partition
even though you can mount all sorts of partitions with live puppy and try them at savefile process
or it simply fails or crashes to console at savefile prompt with error -1024kb space needed.
Does anyone have a working Ventoy + puppy + save combo?

On-line since 1992
long time Linux & puppy Linux user
volunteer & supporter

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @radky and @rockedge for this upgraded v1004 offering.

I default booted. via SG2D, pristine. Did some initial cosmetics, saved the session at Shutdown. Upon reboot, v1004 found its sessions and went to desktop (So SAVESPEC processing during INIT works perfectly).

:!: Sweet :thumbup:

I have a comment, and a couple request for help

Comment: This is NOT a request for action
When the Menu>Setup>Package Manager (Legacy) program is run, it has a nice area on its left where a notification is presented alerting the user to use the other PM...for good reason. But the verical layout of the screen could benefit from heightened 'real estate' so that the message, all of it, is readily displayed. As it is partial displayed, currently, it could be overlooked by PUP users.

Requests The steps to do so in all FossaPUP64 are different here in BWPup64 v1004

• Sound - we need an app or a right click on taskbar speaker that allow an alternate selection of output as well as a button to test for sound when a selection is made. Is this present?

• System Video - is there a recommended way in v1004 to change from modesetting driver to an nvidia driver, OOTB?

Performance is smooth, and rapid in testing thus far.

My next steps are to add the excellent PET packages that @ETP has made for use as well as to add his GetChrome PET to the system.

Thanks muchly for this great feat.

PPM.jpg
PPM.jpg (41.47 KiB) Viewed 3926 times
keniv

Post by keniv »

I've recently updated to v10.0.4. I have usually updated before by using the save file (yes I still use them) from the previous version then building a new clean save file for the new update i.e. I tried to use the save file from v10.0.3 in v10.0.4. However, I found that the 10.0.3 save file was named as dpupsave- ????.4sf and was not recognised. The new 10.0.4 save file was named dpupbw64save-????.4fs. When I renamed the 10.0.3 save file to the form of the new 10.0.4 it did work. Can I ask if this renaming was to prevent the use of save files from previous versions?
I've also noticed that in a "clean" version of 10.0.4 on using the terminal on the desktop that previous commands used are not retained. I've normally been used to using the pointer up and down keys to scroll through previously used commands. I find this useful. Is this a property of this particular terminal and if so can it be changed to allow scrolling through previously use commands. In Menu>Utility you can select LXTerminal which does have this facility. I know I could select it as the default terminal but it seems odd to me that the terminal on the desktop does not work in this way.
I have to say that overall I really do like BookwormPup64. It's fast becoming my daily driver. I particularly like being able to use some older .pets as well as synaptic. I have an interest in software defined radio. I use GQRX for this. Previously I've had problems installing this from .pets particularly with sound (it expects pulse). I installed it using synaptic and everything worked smoothly out of the box.

Regards,

Ken.

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

urxvt bug

There appears to be a bug in the urxvt setup.
From a terminal I try to open an urxvt window with dimension 20 chars wide and 1 char high, using command urxvt -g 20x1
Though the window is created, it creates a stream of error messages.
Less errors when using a 2 char height urxvt -g 20x2 and no error with 3 chars or more.

This behavior can be fixed by disabeling the perl extension. In /root/.Xdefaults comment out the respective line by preceding an exclamation mark:

Code: Select all

! urxvt.perl-ext-common: default,selection-to-clipboard,tabbed,matcher

This is fine with me because I don't like this extension anyway, but many users like it and there should be a better way.

urxvt_bug.png
urxvt_bug.png (129.16 KiB) Viewed 3778 times
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hi @keniv... DoNOT take any of my responses as official. I am NOT the developer. But I can offer couple thoughts.

keniv wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:52 pm

... Can I ask if this renaming was to prevent the use of save files from previous versions?

I 'think' this change is a good one as it seems to intend to distinguish this distro to be different from other developers doing similar distros for 32bit versions and other debian versions of this WoofCE PUP.

keniv wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:52 pm

... I've normally been used to using the pointer up and down keys to scroll through previously used commands. ...

I ask, no matter which terminal you use, to also observe the "history' cli command in each. This response doesn't address the problem you're drawing attention to, but is useful to see if the terminal being used is recording its command history.

Hope this is helpful

wizard

Post by wizard »

@keniv

I've also noticed that in a "clean" version of 10.0.4 on using the terminal on the desktop that previous commands used are not retained. I've normally been used to using the pointer up and down keys to scroll through previously used commands

In my clean install of 10.0.04, the default terminal on the desktop is LXTerminal in which the up/down arrows show the history.

Also, if I use URxvt terminal from the menu, up/down arrows show the history.

Checked 10.0.02 and 10.0.03 and could not duplicate your issue.

For reference, you should also be able to show the history by pressing:
Ctrl p for previous
Ctrl n for next

Up/down arrows not working might be corrected by adding these two line to ~/root/.bashrc:
bind '"\e[A":history-search-backward'
bind '"\e[B":history-search-forward'

I have not tried this since mine is working correctly.

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

keniv

Post by keniv »

@wizard

In my clean install of 10.0.04, the default terminal on the desktop is LXTerminal in which the up/down arrows show the history.

Thanks for that piece of information because it pointed me towards a mistake that I must have made. I checked my clean install of 10.0.4. The desktop terminal icon does point to the default terminal. When I opened /usr/local/bin/defaultterminal I see exec lxterminal "$@" so LXTerminal is the default. I opened LXTerminal from the desktop, typed in a couple of commands then checked that these commands were retained by using the up and down arrows. To my surprised this now worked. Ctrl p and Ctrl n also worked. I closed the terminal then re-opened it again, repeated the above and everything worked. I then tried 10.0.4 with the save file from 10.0.3. When I opened the terminal from the desktop it seemed to open the LXTerminal. Doing the same tests as before I could use the up and down arrows to go between commands, however, if I closed the terminal then re-opened it the previous commands were gone. The arrow keys no longer worked and neither did
Ctrl p and Ctrl n. I think my problem with the terminal was due to me mistakenly selecting the the older save file when I though I'd selected the new clean save file. I'm sorry that I appear to have wasted peoples time with this. Thanks again for the help.

Ken.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@keniv

I'm sorry that I appear to have wasted peoples time with this. Thanks again for the help.

No waste of time, I've found reusing save file/folders between versions can sometimes produce small unwanted issues such as yours. We all learn from it.

wizard

retiredt00

Post by retiredt00 »

Dear Radky
My old Apple laptop fails to suspend on lid-closure with Bookworm 10.0.4
The "suspend.sh" script works fine when called directly.
When closing the lid the "udevadm monitor" reports nothing indicating that the signal is not detected by the kernel.
Also "lsmod" indicates that "hwmon" module does not depend/uses on "applesmc" module even when the module is loaded.
Interestingly the "applesmc" module is NOT loaded when booting a clean bookworm64 build.
Adding the modules in dpupbw64initmodules.txt does not change the lid behavior or hwmon association.
I should also mention that this is a HD installation without any peripherals added to the machine.

I should point out that the same laptop suspends fine with FatDog901, loads "applesmc" automatically and "hwmon" utilizes it fine.
Looking at modules.dep in FatDog "applesmc" depends on "hwmon" but not in Bookworm.
Also in Bookworm "hwmon" is builtin but in FatDog a module
So it might be a kernel configuration
I should point out that dpup10.0.44 has the same suspend issue
I hope that a future kernel will be build with a configuration that will solve this issue (assuming is a kernel issue)
Thanks for you efforts and happy new year.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Anyone having Nvidia graphics hardware.

ETP has been able to make a pet package of a Nvidia driver for use with BookwormPup64 10.0.4

It should support Nvidia hardware most people are going to have.

You can get it from this topic:
viewtopic.php?t=9884

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

Is anyone able to play DVD's in BookwormPup64 10.0.4 ?
Just did a frugal in an oldish desktop computer and DVD's would not play at all by clicking on the drive or by opening from within SMPlayer.
Messages in the error log mentioned "no css available" and normally I would expect to see libdvdcss in system, but it wasn't there. I downloaded the latest source of libdvdcss (from Videolan) and compiled it. DVD's do then play, but not sure if everything is as it should be. I hardly ever play DVD's myself. Perhaps there is an "official" way of installing this library via apt or something? Anyway, maybe needs investigating?
Attaching .pet of the library in case it is of any help.
EDIT:- Library with split-off DEV package now posted a little bit further down the thread.

Last edited by OscarTalks on Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wizard

Post by wizard »

@OscarTalks

Just did a clean boot on 10.0.4 and clicking dvd icon plays in mpv, also smplayer opens and plays dvd correctly.

EDIT: above test was with a DVD that did not have CSS, testing a protected DVD gave the same results as yours, would not play.

Thanks for the pet file

wizard

Last edited by wizard on Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

Hello wizard,
Thanks for the response. I wonder if you are doing something different or maybe your DVD is different from the ones I tried. Earlier I was installing BookwormPup64 in a machine for somebody else. Now back home and if I put a (film) DVD in the drive I get sr0 as the icon for it. Clicking that gives the dialog box "This seems to be a DVD, do you want to play it?" and if I try to play it nothing happens. If I open SMPlayer and do Open>Disc>DVD_from_drive it gives me an "Ooops..." error box.

Debian do not seem to offer libdvdcss as one of their own packages for bookworm. Instead there is a package which is supposed to download and compile some third party stuff including that library. As I said, I don't usually play DVD's at all, but when somebody asked me and I tried to play one it didn't work, so I think something needs to be added if it is possible to work out exactly what and how best to do it.

Attachments
dvd-noplay.jpg
dvd-noplay.jpg (69.27 KiB) Viewed 3198 times
wizard

Post by wizard »

@OscarTalks

Our post crossed, see my edit above.

Thanks
wizard

keniv

Post by keniv »

@OscarTalks and @wizard
I've just tried playing two different "film" DVDs but got different results. Both of these were the type that come free in this case both with news papers.
The first one I tried, "The 39 Steps", brought up the sr0 icon on the desktop. Clicking on this brought up the box shown below. Clicking on "Play" did nothing. Clicking on "Mount" brought up another box. Unmounting opened the DVD drawer. I then tried the second DVD "The Bounty". Clicking on the sr0 icon brought up the afore mentioned box. Clicking on "Play" started this one (again, please see below) and I ran it for a short time. I don' know if either have CSS as I'm not sure how to test for this. Hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Ken.

Attachments
box.jpg
box.jpg (12.69 KiB) Viewed 3092 times
mount.jpg
mount.jpg (14.32 KiB) Viewed 3092 times
Bounty.jpg
Bounty.jpg (36.42 KiB) Viewed 3092 times
OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Ken,
Thanks for the report. In further testing I found that without the library installed, some DVD's would play but many would not. With the library installed, they all play (though I only have a small number of them here) and I think things are working as they should be, bearing in mind that sometimes you have to make sure you have the correct settings in your media player preferences. Clicking the "Play" button in the "Do you want to play it" dialog box should, I believe, open it in default media player which initially is mpv unless user has changed it.

keniv

Post by keniv »

@OscarTalks
As I still have v10.0.3 installed I thought I would see if it had the same problem and it did. I decided to install your .pet. I also found another two DVDs of the "free with a newspaper" type for testing. After installing the .pet all four DVDs played in mpv after clicking the sr0 icon then on clicking "Play" button in the box that appeared. However, on trying SMPlayer I first had to configure it. You can perhaps tell from this how often I use SMPlayer or play a DVD, On selecting Open>Disc two of the DVDs would open and play a series of adds but I could not find a way to play the actual film. One of the others would play the film after clicking on "+1 minute to right" and the last played the film without a problem. I'm guessing the one that played without a problem had no adds. My problems with the other three DVDs might be due to my unfamiliarity with SMPlayer. As I prefer mpv anyway its not much of a problem. I repeated the above with v10.0.4 including installing the .pet and got the same results. I'm sure I've got more of these "free" DVDs somewhere. If I can find them I'll try them all.

Regards,

Ken.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@Clarity

I default booted. via SG2D, pristine. Did some initial cosmetics, saved the session at Shutdown. Upon reboot, v1004 found its sessions and went to desktop

Hi Clarity,
Attempts to boot 10.0.4 from my Ventoy/SG2D USB have been unsuccessful, was your success, quoted above from a Ventoy USB or some other configuration?

Thanks
wizard

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I have a ventoy USB stick that has a BOOTISOS folder with both BookwormPUP64 and SG2D ISO files within.

I dont boot BookwornPUP64 (BKWP64) in Ventoy because of the issue discussed with its developers last month. But SG2D gets around that issue and boots fine (in fact, I am running BKWP64 as we speak).

I boot the USB, select SG2D, allow it to list the ISO it sees on the system, choose BKWP64 from its list and on to its desktop.

I ask

• do you have a SAVEFILE file in your bootisos folder?

• As you probably know, SG2D will hunt your system for folders that it recognizes that might/would contain ISOs. Do you have multiple?

(I recently last weekend had an odd issue with multiple folders of ISOs and running into a boot problem using SG2D. It dropped into a GRUB prompt rather than booting to desktop. As I remembered, I rebooted the steps, insuring I chose the right folder (the one on the USB instead of the HDD) and booted. That was on a test PC in a test for trying to figure nvidia out.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@Clarity

"do you have a SAVEFILE file in your bootisos folder?" = no
"Do you have multiple?" = yes

My Ventoy USB is setup per your formula. Found the problem, I was executing my boot sequence wrong, DUH. :oops: Your post jarred my memory, working fine now. Am going to try the savespec/savefile routine and see if I can make that work.

Thanks
wizard

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @wizard

@gyrog did supply me with a SAVESPEC file creator in the past. I regard this step mastered for WoofCE by @gyrog as a brilliant example in booting simplicity, even today. But, I nevered used it after initial test-use from years ago.

It is my understanding (or misunderstanding :lol: ) that some WoofCE distros when pristine booted, will auto-create the SAVESPEC file in the location of where the ISO file is present ... for you. Its been so long ago I cannot remember.

Rules

• There is ONLY 1 SAVESPEC file

• It is present in the folder with all of my ISO files

• It contains location information for saving sessions

• It will be used by WoofCE PUPs at boot time to locate sessions automatically

This simple file negates all needs for interrupting WoofCE boot stanzas for any change in order for the booting distro to run in full-frugal mode; namely from boot where it does sessions discovery to proper saving of session at shutdown.

For me, I advise keeping all sessions in a folder named Sessions on a partition labeled Persistence. (good-housekeeping and easily identifiable of purpose) It is on a system's internal drive.
SAVESPEC file

SS_ID='Persistence'
SS_DIR='/Sessions'
SS_MEDIA='atahd'

Post back if problems

Marv

Post by Marv »

OscarTalks wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:30 pm

Is anyone able to play DVD's in BookwormPup64 10.0.4 ?
Just did a frugal in an oldish desktop computer and DVD's would not play at all by clicking on the drive or by opening from within SMPlayer.
Messages in the error log mentioned "no css available" and normally I would expect to see libdvdcss in system, but it wasn't there. I downloaded the latest source of libdvdcss (from Videolan) and compiled it. DVD's do then play, but not sure if everything is as it should be. I hardly ever play DVD's myself. Perhaps there is an "official" way of installing this library via apt or something? Anyway, maybe needs investigating?
Attaching .pet of the library in case it is of any help.

Just now got around to testing in my 64b 10.0.4 install. Went through a stack and found a problematic DVD and the library did the trick. LXDE'd BW64 10.0.4 install on a 2nd gen i5 all intel laptop. Custom ydrv, no save file or folder. Carrying the added libs in my ydrv now.

Thanks,

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

retiredt00

Post by retiredt00 »

retiredt00 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:56 pm

My old Apple laptop fails to suspend on lid-closure with Bookworm 10.0.4
The "suspend.sh" script works fine when called directly.
When closing the lid the "udevadm monitor" reports nothing indicating that the signal is not detected by the kernel.

Dear Radky
I looked again into the failure to suspend on laptop lic closure and it turns out that /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/state correctly reports the lid state as opened or closed. So it does not appear to be a kernel problem per se.
Actually if I manually call the suspend.sh script to suspend and then open the lid the laptop wakes up.
So it would appear that the hard coded /etc/acpi/LID/0000080 symbolic link to suspend.sh does not work as expected
Where is the 0000080 file/link coming from? what program/function/event suppose to call it so it can run the suspend.sh script?
Thank you

Darsh

Post by Darsh »

OscarTalks wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:31 pm

Hello Ken,
Thanks for the report. In further testing I found that without the library installed, some DVD's would play but many would not. With the library installed, they all play (though I only have a small number of them here) and I think things are working as they should be, bearing in mind that sometimes you have to make sure you have the correct settings in your media player preferences. Clicking the "Play" button in the "Do you want to play it" dialog box should, I believe, open it in default media player which initially is mpv unless user has changed it.

The detailed testing and observation on the library's impact on DVD playback are invaluable. Confirming accurate choices in media player preferences is critical, and explaining the default player, initially mpv, provides useful context for users. Well-explained repair tips!

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

retiredt00 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:00 am

I looked again into the failure to suspend on laptop lic closure

I don't see this necessarily as a failure. It is the way I experienced in other Puppies too, and it's the way I want it to be. I use the laptop with external monitor/keyboard/mouse, so I normally, after bootup, close the lid, mainly to protect the laptop from dust but also to shut off the internal display. The laptop should not suspend. Opening the lid after a manual suspend would wake up the laptop . That's OK with me.
However I agree that , when using the laptop stand-alone, closing the lid should trigger a suspend. Maybe there is a rule to determine the behavior in different scenarios?

retiredt00

Post by retiredt00 »

MochiMoppel wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:56 am
retiredt00 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:00 am

I looked again into the failure to suspend on laptop lic closure

I don't see this necessarily as a failure.

Dear MochiMoppel
I can see how this can be a feature, in some cases, rather than a bug.
Do you maybe know when and how this feature was introduced?

Continuing my hunt on implementing suspend upon lid closure I noticed that in FatDog the lid event is in /dev/input/event0, however in Bookworm the apci.log is full of acpid: /dev/input/event0: No such file or directory and indeed /dev/input has no event0
The actual lid switch event in Bookworm as reported in kernel messages is input: Lid Switch as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0C0D:00/input/input3 and ACPI: button: Lid Switch [LID0]
Indeed event3 signals upon lid closing and opening in Boaokworm.
So the wake up appears to be triggered correctly by the lid events but not suspend.
If someone has some idea on why and how please let me know
Thanks

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

retiredt00 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:08 pm

Do you maybe know when and how this feature was introduced?

Unfortunately not, and I also don't know how system events are handled.
I came across the file /etc/elogind/logind.conf which is supposed to handle lid events. In BW64 they are commented out:

#HandleLidSwitch=suspend
#HandleLidSwitchExternalPower=suspend
#HandleLidSwitchDocked=ignore

Don't know if above is relevant, but it gives me the idea that my laptops don't suspend because their batteries are dead and they are always on external power

logind.conf(5) — Linux manual page wrote:

HandleLidSwitch= defaults to "suspend".
HandleLidSwitchExternalPower= is completely ignored by
default (for backwards compatibility) — an explicit value
must be set before it will be used to determine behaviour.
HandleLidSwitchDocked= defaults to "ignore". If the system is
inserted in a docking station, or if more than one display is
connected, the action specified by HandleLidSwitchDocked=
occurs; if the system is on external power the action (if
any) specified by HandleLidSwitchExternalPower= occurs;
otherwise the HandleLidSwitch= action occurs

A different application may disable logind's handling of
system power and sleep keys and the lid switch by taking a
low-level inhibitor lock ("handle-power-key",
"handle-suspend-key", "handle-hibernate-key",
"handle-lid-switch", "handle-reboot-key"). This is most
commonly used by graphical desktop environments to take over
suspend and hibernation handling, and to use their own
configuration mechanisms. If a low-level inhibitor lock is
taken, logind will not take any action when that key or
switch is triggered and the Handle*= settings are irrelevant.

Interesting and complicated :ugeek: . Maybe it's better to start a separate thread?

retiredt00

Post by retiredt00 »

MochiMoppel wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:15 am

I came across the file /etc/elogind/logind.conf which is supposed to handle lid events. In BW64 they are commented out:

Dear MochiMoppel
I tried to modify settings in logind.conf and nothing changed.
The way I understand it logind is a stub required for the apt-get package manager to run and circumvent systemd dependencies.
It can control suspend etc in desktops like gnome and KDE but in Bookworm the logind daemon does not appear to run. Only the libelogind library is present.

I am afraid that the Israel-Gaza war and the havoc it created in this forum deprived puppylinux of the one person that might be able to help debug this problem.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

elogind is present but it doesn't run. It can't run. If it does run - this is an illusion because it's not doing anything. Puppy uses busybox login instead of proper login, so it doesn't support PAM, and the whole session activation and deactivation logic required by logind or elogind happens through PAM. This can't be fixed within Puppy's current architecture - this requires switching from busybox init to systemd, from busybox login to shadow login, [...]. In addition, the concept of "sessions" isn't compatible with a system that has two users that run graphical applications (root and spot) because a session is tied to a user, and there can be only one session at a time (another limitation of Puppy: no multiseat support).

Return to “BookwormPup”