Which Puppy for Wireguard and GUI on 2G/2G Thinclient?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

CMDR

Which Puppy for Wireguard and GUI on 2G/2G Thinclient?

Post by CMDR »

Hi,

i successfully installed Puppy (FossaPup64 9.5) on a 2GB RAM, 2GB SSD ThinClient, runs very good. Other distros claiming to require very litte hard disk space failed to install; they all need more than 2 GB.

However, I noticed the kernel version 5.4. was too old to include have included Wireguard.

Which Puppy should I choose to have a wireguard-capable Linux kernel and a GUI, or in general a recent kernel version >6?

Thank you!

Last edited by CMDR on Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper

Re: Which Puppy for Wireguard and GUI on 2G/2G Thinclient?

Post by Jasper »

Have you tried in terminal?

modprobe wireguard

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Still trying to clear the cobwebs with my first cup of coffee; so I may be mistaken. But it would have helped if you had mentioned which kernel version your Wireguard package thought was the minimum required.

A not exhaustive search and scan only of the result suggests that Fossapup64-9.5 (which was binary compatible with the Ubuntu Fossa Focal version at the time Fossa...9.5 was published) would need at least Kernel Version 5.6. If so, you have a couple of choices.

Perhaps the easiest would be to replace Fossa,,,9.5 with F96-CE_4, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 882#p85882, a more recent Fossa Focal compatible build that uses the 6.0.12 Kernel.

Another alternative would be to replace your current Fossa with Fossa64-Mid, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 956#p94956
which uses the 5.10.182 kernel. The difference between these is that F96 is an original build against Fossa Focal then current, while Fossa64-Mid is a remaster of the Puppy you now have, upgrading many components, not just the kernel, and removing applications Ozsouth considered expendable in order to create a 'leaner' OS. But read their threads for a more extensive comparison.

You should know that Puppys are modularly built. It's a 5 minute exercise to swap the kernel (and accompanying kernel specific drivers) and if necessary firmware with appropriate newer or older versions. Several 'Puppy Devs' frequently publish such substitute kernels. See this Forum Subsection, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewforum.php?f=65

If I were doing it, I'd try Fossa64-Mid first. But as you're new to Puppy, as I wrote, switching to F-96 may be the easiest way forward.

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

CMDR wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:29 pm

i successfully installed Puppy (FossaPup64 9.5) on a 2GB RAM, 2GB SSD ThinClient, runs very good. Other distros claiming to require very litte hard disk space failed to install; they all need more than 2 GB.

However, I noticed the kernel version 5.4. was too old to include Wireguard.

Which Puppy should I choose to have a wireguard-capable Linux kernel and a GUI, or in general a recent kernel version >6?

I have compiled a wireguard kernel module for FossaPup in the past and still have it somewhere. I never managed to see it working though as I didn't have any way to test it back then.
Found it, attaching in case you want to TEST it, but take note it only works with kernel 5.4.53 and you would need to make sure it is getting loaded when needed.

I believe the more recent Puppies will have wireguard in the kernel already. BookwormPup64 does:-

Code: Select all

# modinfo wireguard
filename:       /lib/modules/6.1.67/kernel/drivers/net/wireguard/wireguard.ko
alias:          net-pf-16-proto-16-family-wireguard
alias:          rtnl-link-wireguard
version:        1.0.0
author:         Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason@zx2c4.com>
description:    WireGuard secure network tunnel
license:        GPL v2
srcversion:     8A39BD16D6C05FF9A23782D
depends:        libcurve25519-generic,udp_tunnel,ip6_udp_tunnel,libchacha20poly1305,curve25519-x86_64
retpoline:      Y
intree:         Y
name:           wireguard
vermagic:       6.1.67 SMP preempt mod_unload modversions 
#
Attachments
wireguard-1.0-fossa.pet
(108.5 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
CMDR

Post by CMDR »

mikeslr wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:53 pm

Still trying to clear the cobwebs with my first cup of coffee; so I may be mistaken. But it would have helped if you had mentioned which kernel version your Wireguard package thought was the minimum required.

Thank you, wireguard is included from Kernel 5.6 onwards.

mikeslr wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:53 pm

You should know that Puppys are modularly built. It's a 5 minute exercise to swap the kernel (and accompanying kernel specific drivers) and if necessary firmware with appropriate newer or older versions. Several 'Puppy Devs' frequently publish such substitute kernels. See this Forum Subsection, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewforum.php?f=65

OK I will try that, swap the old kernel to a newer one.

BTW, what is the reason the download section at https://puppylinux-woof-ce.github.io/index.html contains relatively old kernels?

Wouldn't it be better to publish them with current kernel versions?

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

BTW, what is the reason the download section at https://puppylinux-woof-ce.github.io/index.html contains relatively old kernels?

Wouldn't it be better to publish them with current kernel versions?

Puppy does not work that way.

Some of those Puppy versions listed, are several years old, but still very usable on old or older hardware.
Puppy does not stop offering older versions.

Puppy versions are released having a Linux kernel that was chosen at the time it was released.
Most Puppy versions are not continually updated.
that is it. Use it or move on to using a different one.

When stuff changes enough, a new version of Puppy is released, as a different name.
But someone has to do this, if they want to.
Their choice what is in it.

Just because it is a newer kernel, it can stop having support for some older hardware.
Newer kernels, do drop support for older hardware, because of all the added support, they need to have, for much newer hardware.
And people producing the Linux kernel, think no one is using this stuff anymore.

But not Puppy Linux.
Puppy is still trying to support old or very old hardware.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

I’m not sure you can use the kernel from F-96 in Fossapup64. Midstream in the evolution of Ubuntu Focal Fossa, Ubuntu adopted the ‘user-merge’ Rule which limits to its own developers the location of binaries and libraries in /lib rather than /usr/lib. Not all applications remained compatible.

Using https://rockedge.org/psearch/ --a Google Search Engine dedicate to the Forum; also available under Links at the top of the Forum’s Page-- revealed that allendiggity has published a 5.7.16 WireGuard enabled kernel for Fossapup64, viewtopic.php?p=6974&sid=ecfa44cfa612fc ... 5601#p6974

CMDR, "Wouldn't it be better to publish them with current kernel versions?". No. Although the Forum provides space for other 'portable' operating systems --e.g. 'DebianDogs', Kennel Linux'-- to actually be a Puppy requires that its Dev create it using some variation of the Woof Application. Anyone can use Woof and publish his/her Unique Puppy. But there are many choices to be made; its use is somewhat 'a work of Art' and it is time consuming. What Woof does is combine a fairly consistent but evolving 'infra-structure' unique to Puppys --much less resource-demanding than that employed by Major Distros-- with the essential binaries from some Major Distro 'at that time'. The result is that each 'Woofed' Puppy is a 'snapshot' including the then current binaries.

When a Major Distro 'updates' its version, it usually includes updated versions of the applications, providing bug-fixes, security patches, new 'Bells & Whistles' but also demanding more computing resources. Eventually, the Major Distro stops providing even security patches and 'Archives' an older version, devoting its energies to a newer version. In the interim, it back-ports some updated applications to a repository available to the older version. Currently, Ubuntu Focal Fossa has available some applications back-ported from Ubuntu Jammy Jellyfish, or its ‘short-term’ versions published before Jammy. The 'Archived' applications are still theoretically available; just a PITA to find and assemble.

Puppy takes a different approach. One of its objectives is to provide an operating system for almost any computer, regardless of how old and resource-challenged. The demands of the Web impose a practical limit. But, if you need an OS to produce word-processing, graphic, audio, even video files and aren’t dependent on it to access the Web, there’s a Puppy which will run under your even 20 year old computer, and perhaps even be able to make use of some newer applications.

Puppys are both portable and modular. Unlike a Major Distro which requires its own partition and a minimum 20 Gbs, each Puppy only needs its own folder. So most computers have storage space sufficient to hold more than one Puppy. That means that a User running say, Fossapup64 can try out one of the Puppys based on Ubuntu Jammy Jellyfish without fear that the ‘upgrade’ will leave him/her with no functioning system.

Can your Thin Client with only 2Gb storage boot from a USB-Port? If so, you might want to try several Puppys before deciding which works best for you. JRB has published a Jammy Pup you can obtain here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 612#p81612 and Grey has published one you can obtain here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 174#p71174. And, of course, you are free to also try VanillaDpup and Bookwormpup found in the Mainline Section of the Forum. [I think Bookwormpup would require more resources than you have. But VanillaDpup can be limited to 'essentials'].

Modular means that a Puppy’s components can be replaced. Not only major components such as kernels, drivers and firmware, but user applications. Usually, this is as simple as just installing the newer version which will be written to a Puppys SaveFile/Folder. That component has priority in Puppys “Merge-file-systems-in-RAM” operating system. Occasionally, rarely, Menu>Setup>Remove builtin packages has to be used.

Modular has another meaning: not all applications have to be installed. Puppys can use SFSes –loaded and unloaded as and when needed-- AppImages and portable Application using no RAM when not and preserving the old should you need to revert.

When a User has finished removing unwanted applications and adding wanted ones, a Remastered Puppy can be created. Although there’s a builtin tool to do that –its been available almost from the ‘birth’ of Puppy Linux-- amethyst, formerly known as nic007-- has published several remaster tools. See, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 983#p12983

With the ability to have both an older and ‘fleshed-out’ Puppy while trying a newer one; the ability to update components and applications as needed there's rarely a reason to publish an updated Puppy version.

As your interest is in wireguard, I assume you are concerned about security. I’m not sure your computer has sufficient RAM to handle it, but one of the things you can do with that suite is –rather than preserve changes in a SaveFile/Folder-- rename Fossapup64’s adrv.sfs to ydrv.sfs, --see https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 117#p29117 – and create a new READ-ONLY adrv.sfs containing wireguard, other applications you want, settings and customizations. If you operate without using a SaveFile/Folder, everything can be copied into RAM on boot-up. If booted from a USB-Key, the Key can be unplugged. Pretty hard to contaminate something which isn’t there. From a hard-drive, the drive is dismounted after boot-up. Still somewhat of a challenge to hackers.

Puppy’s approach enables anyone to follow their individual interests and –depending on one’s time, interest and experience-- to develop anything from an application to an entire operating system with all and only the applications that person desires; while offering everyone some operating system together with the ability to obtain additional/newer desired applications within the limits of his/her computer.

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@CMDR - you could try fossamid or the fuller fossapup23 (see remasters section of forum), both of which have updates security files, & both have my 5.10.182 kernel with wireguard as a loadable module (for usage see below), OR just choose to replace the original fossapup64's kernel - all my recent kernels have wireguard (& its support modules except wireguard_debug) compiled in, as a loadable module. To load the module, you have to run (in a terminal): modprobe wireguard
(can make a script to put in /root/Startup so it will load on boot).
Could try kernel 6.1.65 (choose ubuntu derivative for fossapup64): viewtopic.php?p=105255#p105255

Module load script will look like this (thanks Jasper; must make executable):

wireguard-script.jpg
wireguard-script.jpg (17.52 KiB) Viewed 308 times
CMDR

Post by CMDR »

Thanks for all the detailed and helpful tips, that helped me understanding the concept - a highly configurable time capsule that preserves a system that runs on older/weaker hardware.

The reason why I look or a wireguard-enabled kernel >=5.6 is that I use several Debian11/12-systems running on relatively new hardware as wireguard endpoints. This is a waste of resources and electricity, so I took the challenge to look for a Linux that runs on these cheap ThinClients, each consuming <<10W.

They allow for installation of a larger hard drive as well as USB boot, but this would be too easy and increase the power consumption, which is why I look for a solution that fits within the default 2GB SSD.

By now I'm impressed. Puppy not only fits into 2GB; it uses only around 600MB and provides a GUI. The folder concept is brilliant. Running from RAM is also a cool concept, the system feels like it has much stronger hardware. The wireguard servers will not be be last project I will use puppy for.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

what version of Puppy are you using?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

CMDR

Post by CMDR »

I installed Fossapub64 9.5 first, just to see that the kernel is too old.

Thats why I installed Fossapub64 9.5-mid, and as soon as I have the time I will setup wireguard and make performance tests.

Both versions are in different folders and fit easily in 2 GB, really impressive.

Return to “Beginners Help”