Recommendations for VNC server for Bionic32?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

timg11

Recommendations for VNC server for Bionic32?

Post by timg11 »

I'd like to install a VNC server for this HP dv6 with i5, 4G RAM, Full install of Bionic32 to dedicated ext4 partition.
I use Tightvnc and Realvnc's VNC Viewer on other machines.

There are quite a few packages available in PPM when searching on "vnc", and it is unclear which are usable, and what they interface with in terms of clients.
I know in the Ubuntu world, they've recently adopted Wayland which has broken VNC servers (the last time I checked a few months ago). Not sure if Bionic32 uses Wayland or similar which seem to have fundamental issues with VNC-type access.

I found this article, which points to this older article

These suggests RDP is already part of Puppy Linux. (of course these posts are years old, so maybe not true anymore). I tried an RDP connection from Windows to the Bionic32 system, and it timed out.

What is the current (as of Bionic32) advice for remote access?

wizard

Re: Recommendations for VNC server for Bionic32?

Post by wizard »

Check here for VNC that works on Bionic32:
viewtopic.php?t=1776

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@ wizard

My OS is (see signature) and have been following this topic with interest -

I have downloaded, but not accessed, from your OP:

32bit client for xenial, bionic, and dpupstretch https://sourceforge.net/projects/wizard ... t/download
32bit server for xenial, bionic, and dpupstretch https://sourceforge.net/projects/wizard ... t/download

You say in your OP

Remember, the puppy VNC server can be controlled by a linux computer, a windows computer,
or even a android phone/tablet that is running a VNC viewer (client) program.

I want to, if possible, hook up my (signature) OS with my Win XP Pro (NTFS) running on a ThinkPad T60, but have absolutely no idea how to -

Would you be good enough to say if this could be achieved. Then, if so, give a 1, 2, 3 guide in doing so -

I am fed up with transferring from one to the other via a usb stick all the time -

Best wishes

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

1. BionicPup32+28 19.03 - Linux 4.9.163 - lxpup - 32-pae [i686] - (UPup Bionic Beaver)
....Frugal Install - Internal HDD - Gateway MX8716b - HDD 120GB - RAM 2GB

2. Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
....USB Stick 2GB

wizard

Post by wizard »

@Chelsea80

I am fed up with transferring from one to the other via a usb stick all the time -

The referenced VNC programs are for remote desktop control and don't include file transfer capability.
If you just want file transfer you should search the forum for file server, file sharing, samba, smb or FTP subjects.

If you want both remote desktop with integrated file transfer, then consider installing Anydesk. There are versions for both Linux and Windows.

In any case, you should start a new topic to keep it clear.

Happy New Year

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@ wizard

Thanks for your reply and useful info -

OK, will do more research -

But with my (none) technical knowledge looks like I'm stuck with USB method -

And to you and yours a more peaceful New Year -

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

1. BionicPup32+28 19.03 - Linux 4.9.163 - lxpup - 32-pae [i686] - (UPup Bionic Beaver)
....Frugal Install - Internal HDD - Gateway MX8716b - HDD 120GB - RAM 2GB

2. Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
....USB Stick 2GB

CloeVelez

Post by CloeVelez »

It's great to see you exploring options for setting up a VNC server on your HP dv6 with Bionic32! With your experience using Tightvnc and Realvnc's VNC Viewer on other machines, finding the right VNC server for your setup is crucial.
I understand that the abundance of packages available in PPM can be overwhelming, especially when it's unclear which ones are compatible and interface well with clients.
While exploring remote access solutions, acecomputers.com specializes in Federal & Military Computer Solutions. Their expertise in providing secure and efficient systems could offer valuable insights into selecting the right remote access solution for your setup.

Return to “Beginners Help”