Puppy Linux phone

Moderator: Forum moderators

Aristos

Puppy Linux phone

Post by Aristos »

I never liked Android devices despite the superb hardware some of them have as I don't like also big Linux distributions with their systemd services and daemons or the "click yes and a ton of software will be installed in your computer",I will not talk at all for these "other" operating systems.
For years after Nokia N900 browser became unusable and had no support I was looking for a Linux phone.Working with chroot from Android starves battery very quickly and there is no reason running 2 systems on a phone When I discover Michael's Raspup it was sure that I would give it a try. The bet was to use only of the shelf,easy to fix hardware even if I had to sacrifice much of my comfort.

This is my Puppy phone,tablet,whatever,running Raspup 8.2.1.And YES it is a "brick" phone,and YES it needs a sim card,and NO (Michael) the bluetooth is not connected to raspberry but to the sim800C module (phone)
It has a 5 inch LCD,supports touch,left and right click and using xvkbd (default) keyboard plus some small applications that successfully compiled.Uses Chromium (from repository),too bad that Pale Moon does not support ARM.Now days everything is moving over http(s) and browser are complex things,very difficult to compile by inexperienced users.Sad.
The phone is connected through serial port and all functions are performed with (a lot of) interactive executable scripts.
Raspberry and phone are powered together or independently the drawback being that you can only answer a call when raspberry is off.(I am working on that)

As shown "the brick"includes:
1.raspberry pi3B and lcd attached.
2.extra wi-fi chipset (rt3070).
2.mt3608 boost converter (3.6v to 5v).Coming from early analog electronic ages I never believed that such a small switching chip can handle 1A input current,so i left space for another more powerful chip.By the way this chip is not enough for 3B+.
Below that and between raspberry and lcd a home made over voltage protection is placed which shorts module output if by chance it outputs more than 5.8v hoping that the 5A transistor will survive longer than the slow 1.5A fuse I have placed.
3.a 5v fan (sometimes necessery)
4.pi camera
5.audio amplifier directly connected to pwm output (after filter)and to a loudspeaker.If you know what you are doing beleive me the sound is very clear and loud (by all means NOT hi-fi).When raspberry is off power amplifier is not powered unless someone is calling or receive sms.
6.ISD1820 voice recording chip (and some modifications around) connected to the RI pin of sim800c and to audio amplifier.Although mic and earphone are connected to sim800C ringing is not loud enough and the ringtones are silly.
Taking into consideration that raspberry is not always powered I have recorded the ringing of my analog phone (back from the 60's) and every time someones is calling or sending sms ISD1820 rings the sound I am accustomed to, as LOUD as you wish (not very politically correct!)
7.Above ISD1820 (3mm screws) a Sony-Ericson GM-47 (already had some of them) was placed originally, having in mind that it will be replaced with sim7600E-H which has support 4G and HSPA+.Later I found that sim800C (2g) supports bluetooth so I had the option having the phone
in use (accepting calls only) without having the energy consuming raspberry powered.Since I rarely use mobile phone Ι sticked SIM800c above the batteries to give it a try.2g is good enough for my ssh sessions and for emails provided that you use a decent email client and not smtp over http.
Browsing is slooooow and this is not only because of 2g but mainly because the my internet provider is cheating my bandwidth trying to serve more gsm users but this is another story.After all browsing experience is not so great through a low quality 5 inch display.
8.Finally there are 2 906090 batteries totaling 12Ah (advertized) in parallel, enough for suppling current to raspberry for a working day and many-many days to phone alone.There is also a switching charger large enough to refill batteries when I am sleeping and small enough not to have accidents in case of malfunction.
Batteries especially lithium can be a very sad story.One of the mistakes I possibly made was that I didn't organize inside space for 18650 batteries, since it is easier to find reputable sellers for these kind of batteries.

Some issues I did not manage to fix yet:
1.Some native puppy applications don't fit in the screen,but this is not a big problem since you can run the native application (which puppy application is addressing) from command prompt.
2.When for a reason bluetooth is disconnected from a paired device (e.g. far away) SIM800C has no way to accept connection,unless you power on raspberry.I am working on this with an attiny12(obsolete but have a lot of them) with a very low power consumption.
3.If you try to travell (having this device) with an airplane you will be accused for all the bad things this world has,included damaging the ozone layer.As a result you will be lucky if not executed on the spot (I am serious).

There is a lot more to be said, but as a conclusion I can say I very pleased with my Puppy phone,
I have no words how to say "thank you" to Barry and contributors.

Attachments
rasp04.jpg
rasp04.jpg (193.61 KiB) Viewed 2895 times
rasp02.jpg
rasp02.jpg (161.89 KiB) Viewed 2895 times
rasp01.jpg
rasp01.jpg (124.55 KiB) Viewed 2895 times
Last edited by Aristos on Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
r96chase

Re: Puppy Linux phone

Post by r96chase »

Fancy. Nice work. :thumbup2:

I am a crash-course Linux novice. :lol:

Aristos

Post by Aristos »

just add another photo

Attachments
rasp03.jpg
rasp03.jpg (144.84 KiB) Viewed 2891 times
foxpup

Post by foxpup »

Wow, what a wonderful thing is this!
Great work @Aristos !

Grey

Post by Grey »

Aristos wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:28 pm

Nokia N900

I still use the Nokia N900 as a phone.

Now about the subj. Device is not bad. I was especially pleased with the picture on the screen. Judging by the goat on the sea bank, this is from the fairy tale "Sister Alyonushka and Brother Ivanushka" :) ?
Amplifier on PAM8403?
And how was the inscription and logo made on the case? Drawn? Cut through? "Выжигатель", maybe (wood burning)?

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

It is a great experience building your own custom creation. Quite creative!

Aristos

Post by Aristos »

What I really wanted to pinpoint about N900 and Maemo is NOT If it is still (partly) usable ,but how this superb phone was beaten (sales wise) by products which lobotomize people turning them to simple consumers.

The picture (unknown artist to me) was taken (and used about 28 years as background) from a private photo collection of Francesco Vianello,Middle Ages (Europe) University teacher ,owner of the legendary +FRAVIA site (there are still partial mirrors in the net) who hosted (among many others) the +ORC "how to crack" lessons.My understanding of the painting is: a young adventurer away from the herd wonders what exists beyond horizon.The "good King" is always there in the backround to advice and help.

The amplifier:yes PAM8403,forgot to mention.Also an RC filter was added before input to filter a small noise when cpu was working.The noise was louder and more difficult to extinguish with an AB class amplifier.

The front panel is the main frame of the construction.My original plan was to make it from aluminum or ETALBOND(a material made from two sheet of aluminum and some kind of glue in the middle).But I couldn't find a way where to place the four RF antennas.In addition parallelized (and longer) RF cables equals mismatched impendances.
Moreover although I had access to a 3D printer I had no one that could make the drawings easily and change them easily if needed.
To make the long story sort the panel was made from five 0.5mm walnut veneers and two 0.6mm pre-painted bakelite(outside),glued and pressed with 3-5kg/cm2(for a panel 24cmx12cm this means a pressure of 1 ton).The panel was engraved in a CNC machine with a 60 degrees router bit.Every logo was engraved with a different depth (0.6-1.5mm) and for the Puppy logo the head passed twice with a different offset.
Then the engraved part was varnished...
The raspberry icon is a different story.Although engraved(0.6mm)and carefully varnished the red and green paint doesn't stick to pre-painted bakelite.So a dremel was used to remove the upper surface of bakelite.

Enough said,after all this is not a wood-metallurgy course.

Aristos

Post by Aristos »

I consider a great honor to have a reply from the King in my post.
Greetings from Greece.

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

Crafty!

My initial impression was like the original Mesa Boogie guitar amps, that woodie home-craft look: https://external-content.duckduckgo.com ... 3DApi&f=1
It also sort of looks like an old book in profile.

"Brick" brings to mind an unusable phone for toying with the installed os, which Android usually temps me to do.

I think you mean size.

The big Linux distro I read aborted their phone project for lack of community support, but given the two normal competitors there's plenty of room for alternatives.

I keep an old Java phone mostly used as a music player and camera, though still more stable than Android.

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

Grey

Post by Grey »

Aristos wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:04 pm

The picture (unknown artist to me)

This work was performed by Ivan Yakovlevich Bilibin. This is clearly indicated by the ornament along the edges of the picture. This is an illustration for the fairy tale that I mentioned above.

My understanding of the painting is: a young adventurer away from the herd wonders what exists beyond horizon.The "good King" is always there in the backround to advice and help.

In fact, in the fairy tale, the little brother did not listen to his older sister and drank some muddy liquid from a puddle... as a result of which he turned into a goat :) And the man hiding behind the trees is really the King(the Tsar)... but he is not interested in horizon, but in the opportunity to drag the goat's sister into his bed - if he can catch him (he will do it) :)

Every logo was engraved with a different depth (0.6-1.5mm) and for the Puppy logo the head passed twice with a different offset.
Then the engraved part was varnished...

You have done this job carefully :thumbup2:

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

666philb

Post by 666philb »

Amazing! what a brilliant project :thumbup2:

Aristos

Post by Aristos »

but he is not interested in horizon, but in the opportunity to drag the goat's sister into his bed

Grey,
I was pretty sure that my understanding of the painting was over romantic,maybe this was the reason that have never searched its origin Τhis was not a landing to reality but a crash. (by the way it is not the first time that is happens to me and won't be the last either).
Reality is tough and most of the times much tougher than this.

But dreaming is not always bad.Allow me dream because a a person with no dreams is a dead person.
In a second thought I start to realize that my understanding was correct the problem is-was in the King or the fairy tale.
A King (The Tsar, whatever) is person that has already fulfilled all his needs survival,love and affection,esteem and recognition, and finally feels the need to offer his life experience expecting absolutely nothing in return.Allow my Κing to be someone who does exploit poor little girls.not because I have any moral,ethical or religious problem with this but because it has NO FUN messing around with someone weaker than you .I stop here because we will turn the the post to a philosophical discussion.

Anyway,thank you for the correction.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Bravo Aristos!
That is a truly awesome creation.
I especially love the use of a uniselector style rotary dialler. (It is connected isn't it? )
Real inspiration. Well done!

Aristos

Post by Aristos »

I especially love the use of a uniselector style rotary dialler. (It is connected isn't it? )

Thank you greengeek.
Of course.
It is in business(except couple of years) from its production year.Actually this was the the phone I used to record the "ringing" of puppy phone.(not an easy task, since it produced HUGE amount of distortion to every microphone I had) :-)

hundido

Post by hundido »

@Aristos your puppy Linux phone is such a cool project.

Last week I was dreaming of creating a puppy phone with a waveshare 10.7 inch e-ink screen, inspired by the hisense a5, but me doing it will probably remain a dream.

The e-ink hisense a5
The e-ink hisense a5
20210706_232648.jpg (65.97 KiB) Viewed 2664 times

Your success is inspiring. I hope you can get these into production, especially if you can offer an e-ink model.

Aristos

Post by Aristos »

creating a puppy phone with a waveshare 10.7 inch e-ink screen

this device draws a lot of current i don't think is suitable (among other issues)for a mobile device.

inspired by the hisense a5

I don't see from where exactly your inspiration came from.

I hope you can get these into production,

I have mentioned in a previous post that I'll never stop dreaming.this does not mean I am on drugs.
In the market's perspective this device is technologically underdeveloped,expensive,not handy,under designed etc.
Although ALL of the above are true and even if someone could fix it modern world appears to me so nonsensical, so populated with people who just copy instead of finding their own way, made to serve an oligarchy based on money,personal connections,defect of culture,lack of knowledge and dictatorship of bad taste ...enough now...

but me doing it will probably remain a dream.

If you really want to do something and it is not last days superficial thoughts I might be able to help.

Thank you for your answer.

hundido

Post by hundido »

I don't see from where exactly your inspiration came from.

Mostly I love e-ink screens for how they don't strain my eyes. the existence of a cell phone with an e-ink screen made me really happy. The hisense a5 is a challenging device as I do not speak or read Chinese and some parts of its system are only in Chinese. Sometimes I daydream of buying or making an e-ink screen cell phone that is a little better for my needs than the hisense a5.

If you really want to do something and it is not last days superficial thoughts I might be able to help.

Thank you! I have so much to learn to do a project like your Puppy linux phone. The thread that contains my main challenge for the moment probably shows my level well: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3306

A phone project that I started by haven't finished yet is learning to root a Nexus 7 and install a de-googled/linux operating system on it. I also have a Lenovo Tab 10 I would like to root and de-google. Do you think Puppy would work on a Nexus 7 and/or Lenovo Tab 10? If I want to learn to make a puppy phone, is it best to start by buying a raspberry pi once I have some of my other tech challenges solved?

puppy_apprentice

Post by puppy_apprentice »

hundido wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:00 am

Do you think Puppy would work on a Nexus 7 and/or Lenovo Tab 10?

https://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/F ... e-to-Linux
You can try Limbo PC Emulator. It runs Damn Small Linux maybe will run one of the oldies Puppies.

Aristos

Post by Aristos »

Hi, hundido

I opened this topic just because I wanted to show my appreciation to Puppy Linux and contributors ,since it help me become a better person
I have never intend being drawn into prolonged discussions of the type "I bought this super-duper,most wanted product which doesn't work as expected".
Although it is apparent that I am not a native English speaker,by belief was that my previous posts show clearly my intentions,but you seem that you were not able/willing (or both) to understand a simple written text.
I suppose that being young and enthusiastic you must be excused,so I'll pass through it with no further comments.

Mostly I love e-ink screens for how they don't strain my eyes. the existence of a cell phone with an e-ink screen made me really happy.

Now wait a moment,take your favorite drink and THINK:
1.Do you plan using it in price/equipment/asset tags,shelf tag or maybe in writing or reading e-books?.
Probably NOT,you need a tablet device,able to reproduce maybe a video at an adequate refresh rate.
2.Did you asked the SELLER :-) or someone else if this screen is supported by Puppy?(touch,mouse calibration,Xorg's configuration files for middle and right click?). After all we want a Puppy phone,don't we?
Again probably NOT.
3.After a quick search all (commercial) sites emphasize how eco friendly and no power hungry device is.But this holds (partially) true only with a static image.Nobody sees to announce its consumption with a its max refresh rate (by the way colored e-ink displays have even lower refresh rates). In an ad, a (maybe 10inch) display was attached to a raspberry each one of them connected to a separate 5v 3A power supply.This is a NO-NO for a mobile device.
4.Does your display provides an spi interface or you are capable enough soldering an hdmi cable directly to the board,or maybe you don't care having hdmi plugs and cables around your construction?
Probably there are other problems also since I did not spent to much time for my homework :-)

Do you think Puppy would work on a Nexus 7 and/or Lenovo Tab 10?

There are people in this forum that are much more capable answering this but I'll give it a try.
To my knowledge there is no way an Android processor to work with another kernel (responsible for handling the basic input-output hardware),simply because it has different(and known to Google only) instruction set.
Imagine sitting in front of a very large electrical board (many times larger than the one imagined) connected to different devices (which cannot be accessed physically) also interconnected to each other and having no wiring diagram.
There is a workaround though.You can load Puppy after the Android system is loaded.In order to do this you have to understand chroot and mount commands and feel generally comfortable with command prompt.You should also be able to use remote desktop (vnc) and remote shell (ssh).
Nevertheless the above will lead you nowhere.Running a mobile device with two operating systems for normal computing will fail in terms of cpu load (especially with remote desktop) and battery life.(Unless one decides to do this for fun or some other special purpose).

install a de-googled/linux operating system on it.

Although I cannot understand what you really mean,no average computer user can survive this.It could have fun though.
But just a moment:THINK:
YOU BOUGHT a phone stuffed with over bloated, ill sick (Google) software and then you want to De-Google it without even knowing where to start?
I shall not answer this.I'll leave it as an exercise.

That's all my young adventurer.Hopefully you understood that you see too far away.There are many and serious obstacles that you have to surpass first.

Regards

chilibowl

Post by chilibowl »

:o :o :o :o Wow!! that Is some Hand tooled projekt -Ihave seen that Fravia"searchlores" photo yeras ago ,from some Intrepid ;user: .

just wondering what Networks CAN this telephone Device work on???

iam sort if ignorant about this thing.

regards ,chilibowl 8-) 8-)

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

The Android kernel is based on an upstream Linux Long Term Supported (LTS) kernel. At Google, LTS kernels are combined with Android-specific patches to form what are known as Android Common Kernels (ACKs).

Newer ACKs (version 5.4 and above) are also known as GKI kernels. GKI kernels support the separation of the hardware-agnostic generic core kernel code and GKI modules from the hardware-specific vendor modules.

The GKI kernel interacts with hardware-specific vendor modules containing system on a chip (SoC) and board-specific code. The interaction between the GKI kernel and vendor modules is enabled by the Kernel Module Interface (KMI) consisting of symbol lists identifying the functions and global data required by vendor modules.

Basically means that the Android kernel starts out as the same long term supported one that can be used in a Puppy Linux, EasyOS or Kennel Linux.

The difference is the Linux kernel for the Android operating system is patched before compilation to handle the hardware devices that a mobile phone platform has onboard. The GPS, motion sensors, camera, the phone components, the touch screen and the possible control buttons.

The trick I think is getting an already compiled Android specific kernel to work on a Puppy Linux or EasyOS. If we could boot lets say F96-CE_4 using a kernel built for Android and it's included modules and firmware that would be a start. Remembering that most Android phones have ARM processors.

Does anyone have a spare Android kernel on hand or know where to get one easily (relatively)?

On a Google Nexus 7 device, you can replace Android with Ubuntu by following the instructions on the Ubuntu wiki.

Aristos

Post by Aristos »

thank you for your answer chilibow

just wondering what Networks CAN this telephone Device work on???

Actually the mobile phone by it self is a Simcom 800l chip large like a fingernail, having 88 pins coming with preloaded software dual band capable.
You just :-) connect the pins to power,mic,ear,phone,whatever sim,antenna etc.It has serial TTL,usb and serial I2c buses and VERY good documentation.Communication with outer world is done by AT commands.
Simcom also provides software and a utility to reburn the chip with bluetooth support.

So in short it can connect to any gprs network (up to now)

Aristos

Post by Aristos »

The trick I think is getting an already compiled Android specific kernel to work on a Puppy Linux or EasyOS. If we could boot lets say F96-CE_4 using a kernel built for Android and it's included modules and firmware that would be a start. Remembering that most Android phones have ARM processors.

Rockedge

Although I believe that the subject of your post should be in a new topic ,I feel honored that is under my post. (especially by an old member).
I have little technical knowledge about the issue you are talking about so no direct comment.

Allow me some thoughts though:

Google made some very simple and clever observations.

1. Everyone in the future is going to be mobile.

2. People for whatever reason have a tendency to laziness.They don't want to learn something they just want to consume it.

3. Microsoft's main problem was that is not absolutely controlling hardware.Although is trying to produce consumer friendly environment additional software and device drivers , written by different companies, many times produce a mess (when running in the same hardware).I shall not talk at all about older versions of this operating system (except Win3.11)

4. Apple made it a little better.It produced its own hardware (or at least financed and marketed). Hardware needs hardware to be produced.This mean large investments in plants, machinery which is quickly depreciated and become scrap in a year if not months (not speaking accounting wise). High tech investments can be a lottery. Good advertising and high selling prices seems to diminish the above problem ,but had software compatibility issues also.I remember Steve Jobs saying that Adobe was the #1 responsible for Kernel panics to Apple IOS devices.

Google comes then following Apple's strategy offering the knife and the pie (software-hardware compatibility), but leaves the hard part (production) to others to compete themselves. It is easier to concentrate to human resources as they easily move from country to country,easier to find the best and easier to replace them after the age of 35 (or so),possibly neglecting any labor law that the a country has.
    They marketed Android as a free software since it comes from a Linux kernel giving the impression of a free software.In addition they create a platform providing an easier way to produce software (this is not necessarily bad although requires more resources which is not elegant)

So far so good, except from the fact that just because you have the power to legally deceive a naive it doesn't mean that you do the right thing.

However the problem lies beyond business, cellphones and its operating system.
Google now is watching everyone trying to control every aspect of life and consumer behavior through targeted advertisements.
It is even worse.There are myriads of stupid applications concerning government - citizens relationship that are only available for Android devices and also hosted in Google Play. Isn't a government capable enough to have its own server addressing to its own citizens?

Finally,I have the impression that Google won't allow a different system to run normally in the same hardware.

Inevitably I have mixed facts as I understand them.
If you find something wrong tell me so.If you find an opinion wrong no need to tell me,you are entitle to believe the opposite.

Happy 2024

Return to “Raspbian Buster”