Support for Ryzen Zen 3 Desktop Processors

Moderator: BarryK

Federico

Support for Ryzen Zen 3 Desktop Processors

Post by Federico »

Hello everyone,
I have upgraded my desktop system from an Intel Core i5 to a new Ryzen 5700X, running on socket AM4. Since then, EasyOS doesn't look to be able to boot any more on it: the screen goes totally black immediately after typing the password. Is that normal? Has the support for these processors already been added to Easy's kernel? Can anyone confirm this?
My system is obviously working perfectly when booting with Windows 11 (otherwise I wouldn't have started this new discussion). I bought the processor new, but the model has been released in march 2022. The code-name of this architecture is Vermeer.

Thanks in advance.

Desktop PC
Case: Sharkoon S25-W MB: Asus Rog Strix B550-A PSU: XFX Pro 750W CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X @ 4.6 GHz RAM: Corsair 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz Heatsink: Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B VGA: Asus Tuf RTX 3080 12 GB OC

Laptop PC: Asus Zenbook UX325E

TerryH

Re: Support for Ryzen Zen 3 Desktop Processors

Post by TerryH »

I have a laptop with Ryzen 5800H CPU, I have not have to make any changes. It boots without boot issues. Sorry you are having issues.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

Federico

Post by Federico »

Interesting. But I don't think that it has to do with this. The 5700X is Vermeer; the 5800H is Cezanne. Vermeer is the physical architecture of the Ryzen 5000 desktop processors; Cezanne is the physical architecture of the Ryzen 5000 mobile processors. EasyOS is portability oriented and it has been probably optimized for laptops.

Desktop PC
Case: Sharkoon S25-W MB: Asus Rog Strix B550-A PSU: XFX Pro 750W CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X @ 4.6 GHz RAM: Corsair 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz Heatsink: Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B VGA: Asus Tuf RTX 3080 12 GB OC

scsijon

Post by scsijon »

I had a similar problem with one of my graphic boxes. In the end what I tried was to get a new usb loaded on the core2 online box. I downloaded what was at the time the latest EasyOS, easydd'd it to setup the load the new easyos on the usb, DIDN'T complete the boot process on the old machine but moved the usb to the AMD problem box and let it start up / first boot on that. That seemed to fix the problem as it completed the install on that. that usb now works ok, but doesn't start on the old core2 box any more so I think there must be some settings that are different between the AMD and Core2 hardware involved. Maybe try that and see if like me it was processor/box specific.

Last edited by scsijon on Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Federico

Post by Federico »

@ everyone

Thank you very much for the tipps but I won't anyway be able to do further testing on the involved PC before the 13th of January.
In the meanwhile I wish everyone merry Christmas and a happy new year. And thanks in advance to anyone for further reports.

Desktop PC

Federico

Post by Federico »

Hello everyone,
I'm posting this from EasyOS 5.6.5 runnig on my desktop. So, there is no lack of support for the Rzyen Zen 3 processors. What I did is just to correct the memory timings (tRC from 70 to 52) and a little bit of undervolting with the PBO curve optimizer (-20 mV). Therefore, I'm not 100% sure but it looks like the problems were just caused by a tiny bit of hardware instability. The Linux kernel is more prone to these type of failures than the Microsoft ones generally speaking. Anyway, everything looks to be fine now. The Nvidia proprietary driver works also fine as well as audio through HDMI (so please, make sure to have an absolutely stable system regarding CPU and RAM overclock, especially when using AMD CPUs).
Thank you for the help.

(Off-topic: Now I'm looking forward to test the new EasyOS Void. I hope I'll be able to repeat all the things I did on Kirkstone with it)

Desktop PC

Return to “EasyOS”