Sidekick browser.....Chromium-based, work-focused & secure. Runs-as-spot, in 'portable' format...

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Sidekick browser.....Chromium-based, work-focused & secure. Runs-as-spot, in 'portable' format...

Post by mikewalsh »

Evening, gang.

I got put onto this by an old acquaintance over at Linux.org. I've known Dave ever since my early days on the Ubuntu Forums, almost 10 years ago. He often introduces stuff to the communities he belongs to, and is generally a decent sort.

Meet the "Sidekick" browser....

https://www.meetsidekick.com/

This is an interesting 'clone'. It's based around Chromium, as are many others, but the focus of this one is specifically on work 'teams' AND security. It has an unusual model where you set any site as one of a bunch of 'apps' - a feature the clones have had for ages! - then pin 'em to a permanent sidebar (which CAN be hidden if you don't want it intruding). Whatever's selected on this sidebar will be what the browser always opens on. It's also designed to minimise 'distractions'.....

The normal browser toolbars/URL-combi search box/buttons, etc, don't show until you click on the "+" sign in the top-left corner. Then it becomes a 'normal' browser.

Sidekick want you to create a specific account with them. Only by doing so will the FULL browser features be unlocked...??!? Apparently this is designed from the ground up for work 'teams' that collaborate & function together remotely, online.

I've also included up-to-date Widevine from the current Chrome, so NetFlix/Spotify/Hulu, etc, are fully-functional if you have an a/c.

You'll have to try it yourselves, and see what y'all think of it. I've packed it in my usual 'portable' format, along with included libs to enable operation as far back as Tahrpup64. It runs-as-spot, which should help to make it somewhat more secure.

If interested, you can find it here at MediaFire:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/hw5lm1 ... ck_browser

Usual routine:-

• Download
  • Unzip
  • Move the portable directory anywhere you want
  • Click to enter
  • Click 'LAUNCH' to fire it up

The usual scripts will add a Menu entry if required, and run it from wherever you've located it... :)

Enjoy!

Mike. :D

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

pp4mnklinux

Re: Sidekick browser.....Chromium-based, work-focused & secure. Runs-as-spot, in 'portable' format...

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hi @mikewalsh :
Another browser to test, but in my oppinion it's an opera "clone".

Of course it has differences but the home page presentation is like opera.

I'll test it, but from the video I consider this.

Thanks for sharing.

mikewalsh

Re: Sidekick browser.....Chromium-based, work-focused & secure. Runs-as-spot, in 'portable' format...

Post by mikewalsh »

@pp4mnklinux :-

Aye, I think you're right! I thought "Opera" to myself as soon as it fired-up.....because even though it isn't Opera, the layout's remarkably similar.

Still, it's another string to the community's bow, as it were. And as you probably know by now, I've always been an advocate of maximum choice in ALL things...

Mike. ;)

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@mikewalsh

Thank you for the introduction of a new application to us all.

The program itself comes available as two options "Free" and "Pro".

The Free option provides:

5 sidebar apps
10 apps in total
2 sessions
Ad & tracker blocker
Global search across apps, docs, and messengers
AI tab suspender
Basic customer support

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Jasper :-

Seems you've looked into it in more detail than I have, then. With the exception of a couple of "features", I'm using it as essentially just another Chromium 'clone'......'cos that's basically what it is under the skin. Sure, the GUI's been tweaked a fair bit, but the "engine" still works just as it's always done.

As I frequently state, I'm a big believer in "choice in all things". So who cares if we've got a dozen (or more) different ways available to do the same task? Humans being what they are, not everybody will want to approach stuff from quite the same angle, if I've learnt anything at all over the last 40-odd years! :D

Mike. ;)

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@mikewalsh

All good here 👍

I thought it might be useful to point out some minor restrictions. Just in case someone had issues and blamed the application.

Always useful to have options available to use.

Return to “Browsers and Internet”