32bit tahrpup is amazing, meager 61MB RAM use

Moderator: Forum moderators

gychang

32bit tahrpup is amazing, meager 61MB RAM use

Post by gychang »

I have Dell Inspiron 1300, a 16year old laptop with Pentium M, 2G of RAM, running Tahrpup32, Bionicpup32, and JammyPup32. I use palemoon-portable32 with no ad youtube modification as suggested by MochiMoppel on this forum. What I am impressed by is after modifying default pups to my liking (some apps, keyboard shortcuts, etc...) On htop: TP is only using 61MB, whereas BP32 and JP32 are using over 300MB.

I notice some difference in that web browsing and photo editing is more fluid in TP32. I am unable to use simplescreenrecorder and recordmydesktop however...

If one has a meagerly powered laptop or PC, the latest 32bit puppy may not be optimal and should try TP32.

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: 32bit tahrpup is amazing, meager 61MB RAM use

Post by rockedge »

I have Tahr-6.0.5 which is a 32 bit operating system running on a DELL Optiplex desktop circa 2004 with 2 G of RAM which runs very well.

It's set up to use a Canon printer and scanner which by running a Avahi daemon, converts the Canon MG2500 into an AirPrint capable network printer for Apple mobile devices and also any other systems on the LAN can print including directly from Android mobile devices.

I just checked the running system with htop.........65 M of RAM used........and that's with the Avahi server running as a service. and a samba daemon going on top of CUPS (cupsd)

Keeps this single core single thread CPU and 2 Gigs of RAM going strong enough for it's day to day roll it performs.

Tahr-6.0.5 runs cool and the power supply and CPU fans are spinning at minimum so it's very quiet at idle. I don't run browsers other than Dillo and an old palemoon for using the CUPS web console interface

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

gychang wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:33 am

I have Dell Inspiron 1300, a 16year old laptop with Pentium M, 2G of RAM, running Tahrpup32, Bionicpup32, and JammyPup32. I use palemoon-portable32 with no ad youtube modification as suggested by MochiMoppel on this forum. What I am impressed by is after modifying default pups to my liking (some apps, keyboard shortcuts, etc...) On htop: TP is only using 61MB, whereas BP32 and JP32 are using over 300MB.

I notice some difference in that web browsing and photo editing is more fluid in TP32. I am unable to use simplescreenrecorder and recordmydesktop however...

If one has a meagerly powered laptop or PC, the latest 32bit puppy may not be optimal and should try TP32.

I used Tahr for a long time, it's solid. Have you tried Xenial32? I'm using that now on my old laptop. The advantage of Xenial is that it runs newer browsers out of the box. I wouldn't pay too much attention to memory readings. This goes up once you start new programs as it's loaded into available RAM, does not matter what distribution your are using. Just as another thought - I also have a customized version of Precise (the base sfs is only 83MB which includes a small glibc upgrade to run a very recent Palemoon). But you are restricted to Palemoon for a new version browser when running Precise, otherwise it's just as functional for me as new Puppy's which are 4 times bigger in size.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Try this:

Simplescreenrecorder pet package compiled for Tahrpup
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -0.3.3.pet

If you installed a different simplescreenrecorder package.
Uninstall it before using this one.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

wiak

Post by wiak »

This is a terrible distraction. I should not now be tempted to try Tahrpup32 (where is the iso?) when I am busy in the middle of a host of other things. Truth is I have around eight laptops here (some admittedly with clogged up fans) that are Intel Core2Duo and above (up to i7 processor level) so I have absolutely no need ever now to run a distribution of that age and capability. But... I do still have an old Pentium M laptop (albeit upgraded to just 1GB ram) thrown into some cupboard drawer somewhere to gather dust, and I am curious. I suppose the OP's post could almost be regarded as a challenge too, but I suspect that for a now ancient machine like that TahrPup will win above anything new that could be built - each item of newer libs, apps, desktop, and everything add to increasing initial RAM consumption and more besides. But I might take a few minutes (no more I hope) to check it out assuming someone can tell me the most appropriate Tahr32 download location - I tend to remember some of rockedge's earlier JWM/Rox-based WDL_Void32 creations weren't too bad on initial RAM either, but of course it is the web browser requirements that really kill us all in the end. And what PupMode is being used? And is it with any copy sfs to RAM? Need to compare apples with apples as far as possible. We have no chance, I'm sure, Tahr will win by a mile; I doubt, for example, VoidPup32 would be any better than BionicPup32 in that initial RAM regard, though I have never compared them.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@gychang:-

Why d'you think I use Tahrpup on my ancient, 20-yr old Inspiron 1100? (Even less capable than yours; although it WILL run 2 GB RAM, it's stuck with 400 FSB, 32-bit, non-HT, SSE2-only Pentium 4 architecture.......sloooow!)

It was the first Puppy that booted to desktop without needing all sorts of jiggery-pokery to get there, 7 years ago.....and it's STILL the best 'fit' for the old girl. Works for me, at any rate.

(I run the "NewMoon", SSE-only portable I assembled from the v29.4.1 tarball provided by "Fenyo", set-up to use a self-contained glibc 2.28 'tweak'.....as pioneered by our very own watchdog).

See here:-

viewtopic.php?p=39488#p39488

....and subsequent posts.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@wiak :-

Will:-

Tahrpup 6.0.5 iso (direct link from Ibiblio):- http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... .5_PAE.iso

MD5sum:- http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... so.md5.txt

There is the 6.0.6 release, too, but the actual Puppy system stuff is identical to 6.0.5. The only extra included is an early implementation of the UEFI boot stuff; it would never behave itself on the old Dell lappie, so I stuck with 6.0.5.....

Mike.;)

gychang

Post by gychang »

amethyst wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:45 am

I used Tahr for a long time, it's solid. Have you tried Xenial32? I'm using that now on my old laptop. The advantage of Xenial is that it runs newer browsers out of the box. I wouldn't pay too much attention to memory readings. This goes up once you start new programs as it's loaded into available RAM, does not matter what distribution your are using. Just as another thought - I also have a customized version of Precise (the base sfs is only 83MB which includes a small glibc upgrade to run a very recent Palemoon). But you are restricted to Palemoon for a new version browser when running Precise, otherwise it's just as functional for me as new Puppy's which are 4 times bigger in size.

Xenial32 on my laptop refuses to start, tries to set a wrong video resolution, may have booted correctly with a correct boot parameter but just gave up and installed BP32 and JP32. Like to try Precise and run with Palemoon..., is there a link? or may hunt around in biblio...?

======

======

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

gychang wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:31 pm

Xenial32 on my laptop refuses to start, tries to set a wrong video resolution, may have booted correctly with a correct boot parameter but just gave up and installed BP32 and JP32. Like to try Precise and run with Palemoon..., is there a link? or may hunt around in biblio...?

You should really try to get Xenial going, it's excellent. Try booting with the pfix=nox parameter to manually setup X. My customized version of Precise has not been uploaded but you can try Precise Light which also has the glibc upgrade, here: viewtopic.php?p=238#p238

gychang

Post by gychang »

mikewalsh wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:05 pm

@gychang:-

(I run the "NewMoon", SSE-only portable I assembled from the v29.4.1 tarball provided by "Fenyo", set-up to use a self-contained glibc 2.28 'tweak'.....as pioneered by our very own watchdog).

See here:-

viewtopic.php?p=39488#p39488

....and subsequent posts.

Mike. ;)

Newmoon works well in TP32, also ad-free youtube suggested by MochiMoppel also works!, prefer over the default Palemoon.

Greg

======

======

gychang

Post by gychang »

Have you tried Xenial32? I'm using that now on my old laptop. The advantage of Xenial is that it runs newer browsers out of the box.

I am trying XP32 now, when I try to install an app, e.g. prun, get an error "no disk space left". I have plenty on my HD..., no ppm.pet in biblio... Any fix for this?

======

======

xenial

Post by xenial »

I can thoroughly recommend xenialpup32. :thumbup:
My first pup and still installed on a partition.Rock solid puppy.

gychang

Post by gychang »

xenial wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:58 pm

any fix for the problem I get with PPM detailed above?

======

======

xenial

Post by xenial »

gychang wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:00 pm

any fix for the problem I get with PPM detailed above?

I usually right click/setup/package manager.
have you run the xenial updates.?

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

gychang wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:54 pm

Have you tried Xenial32? I'm using that now on my old laptop. The advantage of Xenial is that it runs newer browsers out of the box.

I am trying XP32 now, when I try to install an app, e.g. prun, get an error "no disk space left". I have plenty on my HD..., no ppm.pet in biblio... Any fix for this?

I never use the PPM, if I do want to install something, I'll download it directly from the ibiblio site. Did you update the data base in PPM?

gychang

Post by gychang »

xenial wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:22 pm
gychang wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:00 pm

I usually right click/setup/package manager.
have you run the xenial updates.?

Yes, I ran the update first in PPM, and also tried to change the PPM changing the PKGs download to /mnt/home/Downloads as suggested in old forum: https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?p=1037523 didn't work.

======

======

gychang

Post by gychang »

amethyst wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:37 pm

I never use the PPM, if I do want to install something, I'll download it directly from the ibiblio site. Did you update the data base in PPM?

wow!, I am surprised u never use PPM?, I did update the PPM.

======

======

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

gychang wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:17 pm

A few years back, on this exact same old Inspiron, I installed UPup 'Raring' 3.9.9.2. it was one of the 9-month wonders, and had lost support some time before I even joined the community. That Pup was set-up entirely with .pets, SFSs & portables, since the PPM was "non-funczione", and crashed the instant you tried to do anything with it.....

Puppy has so much software available for it, that wasn't as hard as you might think..!

Mike. ;)

gychang

Post by gychang »

mikewalsh wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:42 pm
gychang wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:17 pm

A few years back, on this exact same old inspiron, I installed UPup 'Raring' 3.9.9.2. it was one of the 9-month wonders, and had lost support some time before I even joined the community. That Pup was set-up entirely with .pets, SFSs & portables, since the PPM was "non-funczione", and crashed the instant you tried to do anything with it.....

Puppy has so much software available for it, that wasn't as hard as you might think..!

Mike. ;)

I am having trouble locating prun for XP32, no sfs, pet I can find in the ibiblio index site. I would obvious prefer to have PPM fixed, I will resize my HD to see if it helps.

======

======

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

If it's not an official Xenial Puppy package and does not show or can not be downloaded after you have updated PPM then not much can be done about it. Try to download the source file somewhere from the internet and ask a kind soul on the forum to compile it for you for Xenial Puppy.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I assume your install is a frugal install using a save file to store added stuff.
I assume you did a shutdown and made a save file.

The save file is too small or is full.

Resize the save file by using the menu-> Utility -> Resize Personal Storage File

Note:
If partition the frugal install is on is formatted fat32.
Max file size possible is 4GB.

You can place stuff outside of the save by putting it in mnt/home
Downloads, documents, videos, pictures, etc......
Anything that is not installed into Puppy. Installed stuff and settings have to be in the save.

Forum Global Moderator

gychang

Post by gychang »

bigpup wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:09 am

I assume your install is a frugal install using a save file to store added stuff.
I assume you did a shutdown and made a save file.

The save file is too small or is full.

Resize the save file by using the menu-> Utility -> Resize Personal Storage File

Note:
If partition the frugal install is on is formatted fat32.
Max file size possible is 4GB.

You can place stuff outside of the save by putting it in mnt/home
Downloads, documents, videos, pictures, etc......
Anything that is not installed into Puppy. Installed stuff and settings have to be in the save.

I should have explained, all my installs are frugal to a hard drive partition (all 4, BP32, XP32, JP32, TP32) under separate folder (sda1). Grub on MBR is used. All use Save folder (not files) on sda2. All 4 refuse to download from PPM due to an error "no space in device" or similar. sda1-5G size with less than 1/2 used, sda2-10G is unused. Both sda1/2 are formated ext4.

======

======

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Both sda1/2 are formatted ext4.

What was used to do the format ext4?

Gparted in a running Puppy version or some other operating system(OS) running it's program?
Puppy has issues with ext4 64bit format, that other Linux OS's can make.
Ext4 formats, done with programs in Puppy, are ext4 32bit.

Does sda2 show mounted when you boot using the save folder?
Desktop drive icon for sda2 should indicate this.

Forum Global Moderator

gychang

Post by gychang »

bigpup wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:48 pm

Both sda1/2 are formatted ext4.

What was used to do the format ext4?

Gparted in a running Puppy version or some other operating system(OS) running it's program?
Puppy has issues with ext4 64bit format, that other Linux OS's can make.
Ext4 formats, done with programs in Puppy, are ext4 32bit.

Does sda2 show mounted when you boot using the save folder?
Desktop drive icon for sda2 should indicate this.

I used gparted in 32bit puppy to format to ext4. sda2 shows it mounted when booting with the save folder. It does show icon sda2 is mounted after a boot.

======

======

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

What is the version of PPM?

In PPM -> Configure -> Options

If there is a save PKGs in:

What is the location selected?

Does sda1 also show as mounted?

Forum Global Moderator

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

I'm sorry to bust your bubble. But all 32-bits are amazingly light on RAM :) until you flesh it out with a current web-browser and then use that web-browser to access current web-sites. IIRC, Jamesbond set up dpup-stretch in a VM and booted to desktop using only 68 Mbs. Experimenting here, viewtopic.php?p=4070#p4070 I was able to boot a 'moderately stripped' version of radky's Busterpup using only 130 Mbs of RAM. The original OOTB version had used all of 137 Mbs of RAM. On today's computers what's 130 Mbs, or for that matter, 137 Mbs of RAM?

But as soon as you open a web-browser capable of accessing today's websites you'll run into figures like these (from the above post):

"...starting palemoon, pup-sysinfo reported
Actual Used RAM: 177 MB Used - (buffers + cached)

Closing that and starting Mike Walsh’s Seamonkey 2.46 portable, viewtopic.php?p=2206#p2206,
pup-sysinfo reported
Actual Used RAM: 151 MB Used - (buffers + cached)

Entering “Cats Images” into a google-search in seamonkey pup-sysinfo reported
Actual Used RAM: 408MB Used - (buffers + cached)" Emphasis supplied.

Unlike Tahrpup, more recent versions of 32-bit Puppys --from xenialpup32 bit on-- do not require installation of gtk3 and other libs; and can run some of MikeWalsh's 'Chrome-clone'-portables, such as iron, vivaldi and slimjet.

Not that tahrpup is a 'bad-puppy'. It just that IMHO for most computers limited to 32-bit operating systems, there may be better.

gychang

Post by gychang »

Out of frustration, I wiped off my HD and reinstalled TP32, XP32, BP32. Same setup frugal with grub and now working perfectly. PPM is fine. I may have made some errors when I setup my previous install. I am wondering if I may have tried to use PPM during initial setup of wifi, rather than creating sav folder and then updating and using PPM. Thanks for all the inputs and now I am back tinkering with pups.

:thumbup:

======

======

Amol

Post by Amol »

Hello puppy users !
I can get 65MB of RAM at start up with Tarhpup 6.0.6 remastered by mikewalsh ( with a 4.1 kernel ).It is fully functionnal with firefox portable from mikewalsh.Waooh...incredible !
Amol.

Return to “Tahr”