Difference between devx and sources (headers)?

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Difference between devx and sources (headers)?

Post by mikewalsh »

Hiya, kiddiwinks.

Inaugural post for this section, so I'll make it a good'un; I bet even "old hands" are bemused by this at times, just as much as total noobs.....

The thread title says it all. Am I right in thinking that when compiling, the devx package is specific to the Puppy, whereas the kernel-sources package has to match the kernel in use..?

In other words, take any given Puppy. I have the devx package as supplied by the author, and the kernel-sources package that matches the kernel, OK? Using these two in combination, and the right parameters + dependencies for my target's source code, compiling should be successful, all things being equal....yes?

-------------------------------------------------------------

I got thinking about this the other day, having compiled several Nvidia modules in recent months.....and earlier today, I realised PipzDex is running one of rockedge's 5-series kernels in good old Precise 571.....quite successfully too, by all accounts.

So; if I want to upgrade the given Puppy's kernel, and still want to compile in it:-

- I would keep the Puppy's devx package "as is", but
- I would need to change the kernel-sources package to match.

Is that a fair summary? Obviously, I know the kernel-sources aren't always called-for.....but I prefer to load both of 'em when compiling - it never hurts to make sure all the bases are covered.

Confirmation/clarification would be much appreciated, guys. (I know for you old hands, you're probably used to compiling most things from source.....but ya must realise, many more recent Linux users go through life without ever doing so...)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

ozsouth

Re: Difference between devx and sources (headers)?

Post by ozsouth »

Yes Mike, devx is Pup specific; headers & sources are kernel specific.
To compile a driver, need devx, sources & sometimes headers. Since headers only about 1mb, I like
to install them every time. Those drivers are kernel specific.
To compile a kernel with kernel-kit, need devx & headers matching the Pup & kernel used to boot it.
Compiling generic C code needs devx & headers these days. Slacko64-6.9.9.9 just needed devx.
garnet

Post by garnet »

devx is needed to compile anything.
kernel header or kernel sources are only needed when one wants to compile a kernel module.

devx needs to match puppy version.
kernel header/source needs to match the kernel version.

Hope that helps ^_^

trafoos

Post by trafoos »

I’ll get to it, but 1st, what is a practical difference between a “header file” and a “source file”? The answer is: there’s absolutely no difference, other than conventional. The #include pre-processor directive allows you to inline any file at the point of it’s place. But (except for very special cases), you don’t want to inline your general code (the source files).

Source: https://trafoos.com/wallpapers/all-might-wallpaper/

Return to “Compiling”