How to remove banner adverts?

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

boof

How to remove banner adverts?

Post by boof »

banners take up too much screen space. is there an easy way to banish them AND use the space?

Flash

Re: How to remove banner adverts?

Post by Flash »

What browser?

Chaos coordinator :?
boof

Post by boof »

chrome and ff

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

@boof :

You can find a lot of info and methods on the internet, but I considered important to underline the 2 main forms in FF:

1.- FROM FF.
2.- FF PLUGINS.

https://puppyxfcefusilli.wordpress.com/ ... r-adverts/

----- EDITED-----

If you are interested about plugins, you can read https://puppyxfcefusilli.wordpress.com/ ... ox-addons/

And related with blockers I suggest you to include some plugins to improve your youtube experience (AddBlocker for youtube or YoutubeNonStop).

The "negative" aspect could be that some pages detect them and d0n't permit you access to them without turn them off... Consider it and do it... OR NOT, jajja

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/youtube ... rivacy-law

Last edited by pp4mnklinux on Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fossil

Post by Fossil »

@boof
Boof. Use Ublock Origin to remove sections of 'pop-up's and other annoyances. Once installed, click on the brown shield, directly beneath the blue 'switch-on' type icon is a series of smaller black glyphs, the middle one is an eye with a diagonal stroke through it. Allow this icon, right-click over the offending area and the cursor then becomes a cross which can be placed over the 'pop-up' problem highlighting it in a rosy-pink! From the lower right of the screen, a 'ghostly' semi-transparent message board appears which gives control on whether to remove the 'pop-up' or not. After a while this method becomes second nature and is an excellent way of ridding the screen of garbage asking if you want to opt-in on cookies, etc.
PS. If you haven't already done so, use Pup Advert Blocker and the Host file to prevent unwarranted intrusion by secondary sources.
(edited for typos!)

Attachments
Ublock.jpg
Ublock.jpg (127.91 KiB) Viewed 563 times
pp4mnklinux

Updated info about add blockers / UK

Post by pp4mnklinux »

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

I have a simple solution to this, I don't use YouTube! There are plenty of alternatives, Freetube and SMTube are two that I use.

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

stevie pup wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:57 pm

I have a simple solution to this, I don't use YouTube! There are plenty of alternatives, Freetube and SMTube are two that I use.

I use FreeTube too, but usually I use links when visiting web pages, and it is faster open them in your browser.

For the rest.... browsing... FreeTube (ppm included)

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

@pp4mnklinux There is of course one drawback with Freetube, it's 64bit only. SMTube still supports 32bit though.

boof

Post by boof »

thank you. perhaps i have not used the right name. i call a banner the space below the bookmarks bar used by sites for self promotion and advertising. on this page, everything from bookmarks toolbar to board index should be toggle on/off. this is a big chunk of my expensive screen height that i can use better than they can, without going full screen. yes, streaming doesn't like adblockers, so i don't always win. i rarely use any 'tube' sites. i have to use default size 175%, kmag and florence, and my screen is just too cluttered composing with t'bird or writer[ text size is 18pixels, in mono droid sans [?] at abt 4m]. running another screen is not affordable atm.

Return to “Fossapup64”