Yandex 'portable' browser - 64-bit only (discontinued)

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Yandex 'portable' browser - 64-bit only (discontinued)

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, all.

I thought I'd better do an update on this one, since the version in the Drive WAS getting on for 8 months old!

Yandex don't appear to have done that many updates on their browser in recent months.....perhaps related to all the flak Russia's been getting over the US elections? Couldn't say.....

Anyway; in line with my stated policy of always providing as big a choice as possible, here's a 'portable' of the current version - 20.8.3.361. Once you go through the settings with a fine tooth-comb, and delete all links back to that Russian 'cloud' they seem to think you're going to save everything to, it's actually not a bad browser, as 'clones' go.

Widevine is fully-functional (borrowed from current Chrome), and NetFlix/Hulu/Spotify all play without issues.

The bookmarks issue remains; Yandex want you to save everything back to that KGB-monitored 'cloud'. It's impossible to import an HTML bookmarks file in the normal manner. So; if you have another Chromium-based clone, go into its 'Default' profile, and copy the text file marked simply 'Bookmarks'. Transfer this over to the same location in Yandex's profile, and re-start. Sorted.

-------------------------------------------

Anybody interested, you can find it here at the Drive:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

Last edited by mikewalsh on Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

pierro78

Re: Yandex 'portable' browser - 64-bit only

Post by pierro78 »

sorry for the (very) newbish question (I ve just installed puppy for the first time) but when I try to start yandex it seems like it can t find some ffmpeg library :

Code: Select all

root$ pwd
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/portableapps/Yandex-portable/yandex
root$ ./yandex-pup 
Found ffmpeg: /usr/lib/chromium-browser/libffmpeg.so
	avcodec: 3819108
	avformat: 3810917
	avutil: 3680612
FFmpeg version is too old. Need:
	avcodec: 3822180
	avformat: 3811940
	avutil: 3681124
Found ffmpeg: /initrd/mnt/dev_save/portableapps/Yandex-portable/yandex/lib/libffmpeg.so
	avcodec: 3815268
	avformat: 3808868
	avutil: 3678308
FFmpeg version is too old. Need:
find_ffmpeg failed, using /initrd/mnt/dev_save/portableapps/Yandex-portable/yandex/lib/libffmpeg.so
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/portableapps/Yandex-portable/yandex/yandex-browser-beta: error while loading shared libraries: libffi.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
root$ 

can someone please help me with that ??
thanks !!

PS :
i went to the puppy package manager tool and installed some chromium-ffmpeg package but it didn t solve the issue ...

PS2 :
installed vivaldi from the quick pet tool without issue ... seems like it brings some ffmpeg library ?

PS3 :
I am using "FossaPup"

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@pierro78 :-

If the libffmpeg.so version in Vivaldi works - you say this is from Quickpet? - then go into /opt/vivaldi/lib. Leave this window open.

Open another window on the Yandex-portable browser. Go into the 'yandex' directory, then into the 'lib' directory. Locate libffmpeg.so, and delete it. From the other open window, drag the Vivaldi libffmpeg.so across to the Yandex window, and drop it in a space. From the wee window that appears, select 'Copy'.

Now try it. Does it work now?

Mike. ;)

pierro78

Post by pierro78 »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:03 pm

If the libffmpeg.so version in Vivaldi works - you say this is from Quickpet? - then go into /opt/vivaldi/lib. Leave this window open.

Open another window on the Yandex-portable browser. Go into the 'yandex' directory, then into the 'lib' directory. Locate libffmpeg.so, and delete it. From the other open window, drag the Vivaldi libffmpeg.so across to the Yandex window, and drop it in a space. From the wee window that appears, select 'Copy'.

Now try it. Does it work now?

Mike. ;)

thanks but it is too new this time ;) :

Found ffmpeg: /initrd/mnt/dev_save/portableapps/Yandex-portable/yandex/lib/libffmpeg.so
	avcodec: 3826788
	avformat: 3814244
	avutil: 3684964
FFmpeg version is too new. Need:
find_ffmpeg failed, using /initrd/mnt/dev_save/portableapps/Yandex-portable/yandex/lib/libffmpeg.so
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/portableapps/Yandex-portable/yandex/yandex-browser-beta: error while loading shared libraries: libffi.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
root$ 

not sure if it s libffmpeg.so or libffi.so.6 which prevents it from running (didn t find libffi.so.6 in Vivaldi directory)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Please.....always, ALWAYS tell us exactly what Puppy release you're using; how you installed it; what you installed it to. I say this because there are so many different versions of Puppy (1000s of 'em, if you include all the re-masters & 'spins' over the last 15 years or so), and lots of different ways to install them.

The more information you can give us, the better position we're in to help you, y'know. We're not there with you, looking over your shoulder.....and we're not mind-readers, either! :D

It also means we can help more quickly, because we don't have to keep asking the same questions, over & over again.

Mike. ;)

pierro78

Post by pierro78 »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:29 pm

Please.....always, ALWAYS tell us exactly what Puppy release you're using; how you installed it; what you installed it to. I say this because there are so many different versions of Puppy (1000s of 'em, if you include all the re-masters & 'spins' over the last 15 years or so), and lots of different ways to install them.

The more information you can give us, the better position we're in to help you, y'know. We're not there with you, looking over your shoulder.....and we're not mind-readers, either! :D

It also means we can help more quickly, because we don't have to keep asking the same questions, over & over again.

Mike. ;)

I am using FossaPup ;)

Actually the issue was more with libffi ... I had libffi.so.7 on my Fossa, did a symlink to libffi.so.7 and I ve gone further :

/initrd/mnt/dev_save/portableapps/Yandex-portable/yandex/yandex-browser-beta: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpangoft2-1.0.so.0: undefined symbol: pango_font_description_get_variations
root$ 
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Ah. I know what the problem is.

Fossapup has a newer set of base libs than those needed by the included libs directory. You're getting a conflict between what the wrapper-script tells Yandex to use, and what Fossapup comes with by default.

In the 'yandex' directory, locate the 'yandex-pup' wrapper-script. Open it with Geany.

Comment out the line as indicated in red:-

#!/bin/sh
#
# Wrapper-script to launch Yandex browser beta
#
HERE="$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")"
#
mkdir "$HERE/PROFILE" 2> /dev/null
#
# LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HERE/:$HERE/lib${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
#
"$HERE/yandex-browser-beta" --user-data-dir=$HERE/PROFILE --no-sandbox --ppapi-flash-path=$HERE/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so --disable-infobars "$@"

Just add a "#" symbol (as indicated in green). Then 'Save' and exit.

Yandex should now start, and it will use Fossapup's newer set of libraries instead. And before you say it, no; there is no point in rebuilding the portable browser to work this way, because then it doesn't work anywhere else. See here for explanation:-

viewtopic.php?p=9415#p9415

Fossa is the only major release that currently has this problem, so it's easier to issue a 'workaround' for it ATM. Let us know what happens this time, please.

Mike. ;)

pierro78

Post by pierro78 »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:53 pm

Ah. I know what the problem is.

Fossapup has a newer set of base libs than those needed by the included libs directory. You're getting a conflict between what the wrapper-script tells Yandex to use, and what Fossapup comes with by default.

In the 'yandex' directory, locate the 'yandex-pup' wrapper-script. Open it with Geany.

Comment out the line as indicated in red:-

#!/bin/sh
#
# Wrapper-script to launch Yandex browser beta
#
HERE="$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")"
#
mkdir "$HERE/PROFILE" 2> /dev/null
#
# LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HERE/:$HERE/lib${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
#
"$HERE/yandex-browser-beta" --user-data-dir=$HERE/PROFILE --no-sandbox --ppapi-flash-path=$HERE/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so --disable-infobars "$@"

Just add a "#" symbol (as indicated in green). Then 'Save' and exit.

Yandex should now start, and it will use Fossapup's newer set of libraries instead. And before you say it, no; there is no point in rebuilding the portable browser to work this way, because then it doesn't work anywhere else. See here for explanation:-

viewtopic.php?p=9415#p9415

Fossa is the only major release that currently has this problem, so it's easier to issue a 'workaround' for it ATM. Let us know what happens this time, please.

Mike. ;)

now it starts :)

but it crashes when watching videos on youtube and when going to gmail ( I am using the spot account ... going to try the root account ...)

pierro78

Post by pierro78 »

pierro78 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:17 pm

but it crashes when watching videos on youtube and when going to gmail ( I am using the spot account ... going to try the root account ...)

same issue with root account ... maybe I should have gone with BionicPup for more stability ...

pierro78

Post by pierro78 »

PS :
including the error messages on the console :

root# ./yandex-pup
	avcodec: 3826788
	avformat: 3814244
	avutil: 3684964
FFmpeg version is too new. Need:
[8488:8488:1117/191753.274495:ERROR:isolated_origin_util.cc(72)] Ignoring port number in isolated origin: chrome://custo
[8519:8519:1117/191753.328031:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(374)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.
[8488:8506:1117/191753.351448:ERROR:server_configs_backend.cc(483)] Config [notifications_permission] listed in registry.json but not found on disk! Config either missing from downloaded bundle (all_zip) or corrupted.
[8488:8529:1117/191753.364198:ERROR:bus.cc(393)] Failed to connect to the bus: Could not parse server address: Unknown address type (examples of valid types are "tcp" and on UNIX "unix")
[8488:8529:1117/191753.364234:ERROR:bus.cc(393)] Failed to connect to the bus: Could not parse server address: Unknown address type (examples of valid types are "tcp" and on UNIX "unix")
[8488:8581:1117/191753.510293:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(622)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[8488:8581:1117/191753.511397:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(622)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.GetDisplayDevice: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[8488:8529:1117/191753.512014:ERROR:bus.cc(393)] Failed to connect to the bus: Could not parse server address: Unknown address type (examples of valid types are "tcp" and on UNIX "unix")
[8488:8529:1117/191753.512048:ERROR:bus.cc(393)] Failed to connect to the bus: Could not parse server address: Unknown address type (examples of valid types are "tcp" and on UNIX "unix")
[8488:8581:1117/191753.512205:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(622)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.EnumerateDevices: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
--2020-11-17 19:17:55--  https://crash-reports.browser.yandex.net/submit
Resolving crash-reports.browser.yandex.net (crash-reports.browser.yandex.net)... 213.180.204.237, 2a02:6b8::2:237
Connecting to crash-reports.browser.yandex.net (crash-reports.browser.yandex.net)|213.180.204.237|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: unspecified
Saving to: ‘/dev/fd/4’

0K                                                        3.27M=0s

2020-11-17 19:17:55 (3.27 MB/s) - ‘/dev/fd/4’ saved [48]

Crash dump id: bp-dcc485df-6cbd-4603-83c1-e01202201117
--2020-11-17 19:17:56--  https://crash-reports.browser.yandex.net/submit
Resolving crash-reports.browser.yandex.net (crash-reports.browser.yandex.net)... 213.180.204.237, 2a02:6b8::2:237
Connecting to crash-reports.browser.yandex.net (crash-reports.browser.yandex.net)|213.180.204.237|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: unspecified
Saving to: ‘/dev/fd/4’

(!!! lot of crash dumps removed !!!)

Crash dump id: bp-10b088bc-2dad-47f5-9397-cae862201117

0K                                                 root# [1117/191830.248868:ERROR:nacl_helper_linux.cc(308)] NaCl helper process running without a sandbox!
Most likely you need to configure your SUID sandbox correctly
[1117/191830.248903:ERROR:nacl_helper_linux.cc(308)] NaCl helper process running without a sandbox!
Most likely you need to configure your SUID sandbox correctly
root# 

(I think the messages under the spot account are similar)

pierro78

Post by pierro78 »

PS : seems like maybe I should not have restarted it under root because I now have an error dialog saying "preferences can t be saved" when I start it under user spot ...
(even produces crashes when I just open google.com ...)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Right. Done some further investigation. I think I see the problem.

When I built the Yandex-portable, I replaced the original libffmpeg.so with one I obtained from a different source entirely. TBH, I can't remember where I DID get it from, now. So; we'll put the original back!

D/l from here:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17LMpyn ... sp=sharing

Just re-name to remove the ".tar.gz" on the end. Replace the libffmpeg.so file with this one; it's the version that originally came with the Yandex .deb package. I just tried it watching YouTube, and it works OK.

Let us know if that helps!

Mike. ;)

Last edited by mikewalsh on Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pierro78

Post by pierro78 »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:48 pm

Right. Done some further investigation. I think I see the problem.

When I built the Yandex-portable, I replaced the original libffmpeg.so with I obtained from a different source entirely. TBH, I can't remember where I DID get it from, now. So; we'll put the original back!

D/l from here:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17LMpyn ... sp=sharing

Just re-name to remove the ".tar.gz" on the end. Replace the libffmpeg.so file with this one; it's the version that originally came with the Yandex .deb package. I just tried it watching YouTube, and it works OK.

Let us know if that helps!

Mike. ;)

sorry but I ve gone to BionicPup now (I tested it on a very old 32bit machine and I was pleasantly surprised that ppm had clonezilla and chromium v86 ... and they weren t on Fossa if I remember ... and they are useful to me hence I ve gone to Bionic) ...

... typing from your portable Yandex right now :thumbup: :thumbup2: ... thanks !!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Good, good. Glad to hear it's working.

No worries about a change of Pup, either. We all tend to do this after a bit, anyway.....Puppy is rather addictive, and TBH, it would be really surprising if you couldn't find at least one that you were happy with.

Welcome to the "kennels"!

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

I'm discontinuing packages for Yandex. I want to concentrate on other browsers that are more popular....and there's a limit to just how many I can keep track of.

Thanks for your understanding.

Mike. ;)

atillademirci12

Re: Yandex 'portable' browser - 64-bit only (discontinued)

Post by atillademirci12 »

mikewalsh wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:54 pm

Afternoon, all.

I thought I'd better do an update on this one, since the version in the Drive WAS getting on for 8 months old!

Yandex don't appear to have done that many updates on their browser in recent months.....perhaps related to all the flak Russia's been getting over the US elections? Couldn't say.....

Anyway; in line with my stated policy of always providing as big a choice as possible, here's a 'portable' of the current version - 20.8.3.361. Once you go through the settings with a fine tooth-comb, and delete all links back to that Russian 'cloud' they seem to think you're going to save everything to, it's actually not a bad browser, as 'clones' go

Widevine is fully-functional (borrowed from current Chrome), and NetFlix/Hulu/Spotify all play without issues.

The bookmarks issue remains; Yandex want you to save everything back to that KGB-monitored 'cloud'. It's impossible to import an HTML bookmarks file in the normal manner. So; if you have another Chromium-based clone, go into its 'Default' profile, and copy the text file marked simply 'Bookmarks'. Transfer this over to the same location in Yandex's profile, and re-start. Sorted.

-------------------------------------------

Anybody interested, you can find it here at the Drive:-

Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

I'm having the same problem and still haven't found a solution, did you find it?

Last edited by Wiz57 on Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spam URL removed

Return to “Browsers and Internet”