Kernel Panic bionicpup64 8.0

Moderator: Forum moderators

nashtrik

Kernel Panic bionicpup64 8.0

Post by nashtrik »

Old Vaio Laptop Core i3 2330M....2 GB ram...Puppy installed on a 32 GB HP flash drive...Today crashed.. Pls look at the attached boot screen and suggeat what to do next.. Thanks

Attachments
IMG_20201116_102712_copy_640x481.jpg
IMG_20201116_102712_copy_640x481.jpg (109.55 KiB) Viewed 758 times
nashtrik

Re: Kernel Panic bionicpup64 8.0

Post by nashtrik »

Ok... I booted with another live USB and ran e2fsck on this crashed USB stick. It corrected tons of filesystem errors and finally I am able to boot with it again, but all the desktop icons are missing. I tried re-run of Xorg server and also played with JWM settings,but desktop icons are not restoring. Any ideas ?

LateAdopter

Post by LateAdopter »

In my experience ~/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-filer/globicons often gets corrupted on a hard crash. I don't know whether Puppy has proper way of regenerating this file. I just copied it from another working copy of the same Puppy and that fixed my lost icons.

But if a lot of files have been damaged it would be better to switch to a backup savefile.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

To make sure it got everything found and maybe fixed.

Run e2fsck 2 times reporting no errors found.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

two

a. commiseration. i've had that problem recently also. it's a frustrating time sink.

b. mine is caused by adding and removing desktop peripherals, not the os.

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Hi nashtrik,

I see that you are new to the Forum. Welcome. :D
Just in case LateAdopter's post is a little cryptic. Here's how:
File-browse to your puppy_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs and Left-Click it; select View Contents. A window will open. Click the root folder. Then Left-Click rox's Eye (to show hidden files). File-browse into .config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-filer/ and you'll see a file named globicons.
Open a second rox window to /root. Left-click rox's Eye on that window and continue file-browsing to its .config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-filer/. Drag>Drop the globicons file from the other open Window into that Rox-filer window and select copy, consenting to overwrite. Remember to execute a Save to make the change permanent.
Left-click the puppy_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs again to unmount it.

Explanation. The contents of your SaveFile/Folder have precedence over corresponding files in puppy_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs. But only your SaveFile/Folder can be corrupted. The above procedure copied a pristine version of globicons into your SaveFile/Folder.

:idea: A bit of advice. Once you have a fully functional system, back up your SaveFile/Folder. By the way, LateAdopter, thanks for the info. :thumbup: I don't always follow my own advice. :lol: Then, again, I use the procedure here, viewtopic.php?p=2235#p2235 so don't worry about power-surges and unexpected black-outs. But accidentally I have figured out how to corrupt a SaveFile: try to install an application which would require more space than available; panic and press the power-off-button. :oops: :shock:

djlsky

Post by djlsky »

I to have had the Kernel Panic error recently. It occurred when my lap top powered down (battery out of power, power plug pulled out of wall) unexpectedly, just BOOM black screen (went below 10%). I did have a Ext4 file system on the usb stick but no luck in recovering it. Just always went to Kernel panic. I am just going to rebuild the stick and start over.

Wondering if there is a power monitor/notification/clean forced shutdown application available like Windows power manager? JWM Manager (in Fossa) has a cursor movement time out, but i have not seen a Power Manager (active battery manager) for Puppy.

Thanks, Dennis

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

djlsky,

Start your own topic about your problem.
Answer these questions when you make the first post.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=218

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Return to “Bionic”