Adapting Grub4Dos for Operation on KLV-Spectr

Kennel Linux Void based

Moderator: Forum moderators

rockedge
Site Admin

Adapting Grub4Dos for Operation on KLV-Spectr

Post by rockedge »

I was able to get Grub4Dos installed and working in KLV-Airedale and now working at doing the same in KLV-Spectr. There are still some tweaks that need to be done to better optimize and figure out a way to integrate using wd_grubconfig within the Grub4Dos GUI. Though at this time first attempting to install Grub4Dos in KLV-Spectr and getting it to work at least as well as it does in KLV-Airedale.

Right now G4D in Spectr is reporting not finding a usable partition format.

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Adapting Grub4Dos for Operation on KLV-Spectr

Post by rockedge »

The KLV-Airedale G4D needs some adjustments so it presents the correct kernel command line stanza's or better yet, get wd_grubconfig integrated to be used. Otherwise it works well and will set up a QEMU virtual hard drive to boot easily.

I copied the same pieces for Grub4Dos from Airedale to Spectr but the KLV-Spectr version claims there is no usable formatted partition. When I run probedisk and probepart they seem to be returning valid information, yet G4D is not doing the disk and partition searches correctly....yet

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

I am not sure I understand the problem correctly.

If you install spectr to a directory, alongside an airdale directory, on a disk with G4D installed and booting airdale fine....

then duplicate the airdale stanza in the config, and with a text editor, the only change being made is the directory name in the spectr boot stanza, you get not finding a usable partition format error?

or perhaps the G4D installer does not create a suitable stanza for spectr, while creatinging a workable one for airdale?

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@williwaw This is about installing the program package Grub4Dos into KLV-Spectr so we can use it to add a boot loader to a HDD or USB drive from the running system. This way for example, I can boot into QEMU with an ISO then partition and format the drive to do a quick frugal install on the virtual drive or on a USB flash drive.

It already works well and is a menu option in KLV-Airedale in Applications->System->Grub4Dos

I copied the components of the working version into KLV-Spectr one to one but it doesn't work. Which surprises me because there isn't much difference between KLV-Airedale and KLV-Spectr besides the window manager and desktop environment.

So the question is why doesn't it work in Spectr?

Return to “KLV-Spectr”