How to install Visual Studio Code in FossaPup?

For discussions about programming, and for programming questions and advice

Moderator: Forum moderators

lucas-faria

How to install Visual Studio Code in FossaPup?

Post by lucas-faria »

Hi everyone.

I need help to start. :D

I'm pretty new to Linux and I would like to install some software. I couldn't do it by myself (not even with ChatGPT guidance :oops: ).

Can someone teach me or send me the documentation on how to install Visual Studio Code? I'm using FossaPup64 9.5 (Ubuntu Focal 64 [x86_64 64-bit]).

Thanks everyone.

Trapster

Re: How to install Visual Studio Code in FossaPup?

Post by Trapster »

lucas-faria

Post by lucas-faria »

Thank you so much for trying to help. But I need more attention if you have the chance to help more. Do you mind sending me a link (or even tell me) how to install a program in Puppy? A program like Figma/VSCODE? Thanks again

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@lucas-faria :-

Probably the simplest way to work with Visual Studio code in Puppy is to use the "VSCodium" AppImage from their repo at Github:-

https://github.com/VSCodium/vscodium/releases

Download here:- https://github.com/VSCodium/vscodium/re ... 4.AppImage - that's a direct link. You'll end up with a binary file labelled as follows:-

VSCodium-1.76.0.23062.glibc2.17-x86_64.AppImage

That's the one you will want.

AppImages are like 'portable' applications which you can share between, or run on multiple different Linux distros.

-----------------------------------

By default, AppImages come as non-executable; that's a security measure. You'll need to make the file executable, before it will run. So; right-click on the file->Properties. Tick the 3 'Exec' checkboxes down the bottom->Refresh->OK/Close. All done.

Now, to run this particular AppImage, it needs a 'switch' to be specified. The "--no-sandbox" switch, to be exact. I've attached a wee script to this post; once you've downloaded the AppImage, move it to /usr/bin. Then move the weescript to /usr/bin as well. Having done that, a click on the "Run-VSCodium" script should launch it for you.

Assuming it works, you can then drag'n'drop the "Run-VSCodium" script from /usr/bin onto the desktop. You can then use it as a 'launcher'.

Let us know how you get on, please.

Mike. ;)

Attachments
Run-VSCodium.zip
Remove the 'fake' .zip from the end before use....
(165 Bytes) Downloaded 60 times

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

l10nh34rt

Post by l10nh34rt »

this is not working for me how can i run vs code on fossapup46 at the time of writing ?
i thunk this is a missing configurations :cry:

Return to “Programming”