F96-CE_4, hundido's testing of

Moderator: Forum moderators

hundido

F96-CE_4, hundido's testing of

Post by hundido »

Low vision customizations:
Learning that 150 is the biggest font supported, and 1024x768 is the loweest resolution supported, I decided to try both at once. This is really nice. The font is increased more uniformly, more everywhere, than probably any other distro I've tried so far. JWM Display lets me set color temperature to 1000, which is a lot warmer than most distros light night, and brightness gives me an almost frightening level of control over my screen brightness, which many distros lack completely. Very nice.

The only thing that seems broken with both 150 dpi and 1024x768 resolution is conkey? The widget on the right hand side of the screen with all of the useful info at a glance?

It runs way off the screen, and I can only see about half of it with both of those settings enabled. Is there an easy fix to that? Or, if I can't easily fix it, maybe close it?

Edit:
Solution:
Menu>Desktop>JWMdesk>Conky Settings

Attachments
Screenshot(1).jpg
Screenshot(1).jpg (76.46 KiB) Viewed 539 times
Last edited by hundido on Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
hundido

Re: F96-CE_4, hundido's testing of

Post by hundido »

Pidgin:
I'm having trouble figuring out where to get it or how to install it for F96 puppy.
?
https://pidgin.im/install/
?

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Pidgin can be downloaded and installed by using the menu ->Setup ->Package Manager (legacy)

First update the database by clicking on config icon, select Update Database -> Update now.

Back at main window do a search for pidgin.

Scroll down the list to the one named pidgin_2.13.0

highlight it and top right of program window click on "do it".

That will install it and any other needed software to run it.

I did get a warning about two files it did not find to install. (Did not try to find them and install)
I always try and see if program will run. They may not really be needed.

pidgin seems to run OK for me.

I have no idea how to use it.

:welcome: To Linux Software! :roll:

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

hundido, F96-CE_4 is not currently on my boot-menu. So I booted into a highly modified version of Fossapup64 and followed bigpup's instructions. Pidgin 2.13 installed and ran without issue. So just a couple of pointers:

After you update Puppy Package Manager, take a look at all the pidgin plugins offered. You'll have a better idea than I which ones you may want.

After installing you may have to Menu>fix-menus, or restart-x (AKA graphical server) for it to show up on the Menu. The /usr/share/applications/pidgin.desktop file (used to generate menus) only has this to specify the icon:
Icon=pidgin
And buried the icon in /usr/share/icons/highcolor/FOLDERS/apps.
That may not be sufficient for F96-CE_4 to find one. Suggest selecting the /usr/share/icons/highcolor/48x48/apps/pidgin.png and copying it into /usr/share/pixmaps and editing /usr/share/applications/pidgin.desktop's Icon= to read icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/pidgin.png

Also --if not already on your Menu>Utilities-- suggest installing ListDD. You'll find it here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 260#p32260. This is an invaluable tool for determining whether there are missing dependencies, and which.

File-browse to /usr/share/bin --where pidgin and most applications locate the executable-- and Right-Click the pidgin binary. From the pop-up menu click the 'Missing' Tab at the bottom. You'll receive a report of any missing dependencies. [Recommend copying it to a Text file for future reference].
If there are reports of missing libraries, first see if they're really installed but just not found. Ubuntu may have placed them in a folder named /x86_64-linux-gnu. In Puppys, such folder --or its contents-- must be located in a parent /lib folder.
If there actually are missing libraries, PPM's search box my be able to find them. But use a little imagination. For example, if libidn.so.11 were missing you may have to have PPM search for libidn.so. --and then make use of a newer version.
If PPM can't find a library, try pkgs.org. 'Ubuntu's' can usually use debian libraries, and sometimes vice-versa.

hundido

Post by hundido »

@rockedge earlier today I saw your post about testing for, well now I can't find it, so QEMU (sp?)? That's a pet to try other distros in your distro? Would you help me with the link to that? I'd like to try it.

hundido

Post by hundido »

How do I turn off the screen saver? My screen turns this blinding blue color when the screen blanks out, so I want to have it always on.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Menu ->Desktop ->Display Control ->Screen Saver tab

Select disable should do it.

Will need to be using a save file or folder and making sure it is updated, so the change is stored for use at next boot.

Default setting is to have screen saver enabled.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Return to “F96-CE”