OpenOffice 4.1.14 - 64-bit AND 32-bit, packaged in ROXapp 'portable' format...

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

OpenOffice 4.1.14 - 64-bit AND 32-bit, packaged in ROXapp 'portable' format...

Post by mikewalsh »

Evening, gang.

Following a request for the current OpenOffice - presently at v4.1.14 :-

viewtopic.php?t=9752

.....here's a 'portable' build in my now 'standard' layout, also usable as a ROXapp with the addition of an 'AppRun' sym-link.

OscarTalks was right about the best way to build this thing. Boot a pristine Puppy with "pfix=ram", then just work your way through the slew of .deb packages from the downloaded tarball. Everything ends up in a single directory under /opt anyway, but doing it this way ensures that everything ends up in the right place. It's a simple matter to copy the 'openoffice4' directory across to somewhere safe before then shutting the 'work' Puppy down again. Despite the sheer number of .debs - over 40 of them! - with most of 'em being quite small individually, and this HP desktop rig running at almost 4 GHz as it does, I ripped my way through the entire bundle in under 5 minutes once I set to.

Now I know the simplest way to do this, I may keep on top of these for a bit. We'll see.....famous last words! :oops:

You can run this from a thumb drive if you want, purely as a ROXapp. Or, you can put it somewhere a bit more permanent (outside the 'save', naturally!) and dive inside to run the MenuAdd script (rt-clk -> Look inside). It creates, and keeps its config stuff within the portable directory by means of the XDG desktop rules, so it truly IS 'portable'.

Running like a champ here in my heavily-customised Tahrpup64, and perfectly happy in bog-standard, OOTB Xenialpup64 where it was built. As others have said, I too prefer LibreOffice to OpenOffice - the installation method is anything BUT user-friendly - and for small size, I still say you can't beat the FreeOffice suite from SoftMaker.......especially once a lot of the unnecessary 'cruft' has been removed. The current unpacked FreeOffice-portable is around 80 some-odd MB, as opposed to OpenOffice at over 400 MB.....yet even that's small compared to LibreOffice's more than 600 MB!

If anybody's interested in yet another 'portable' - I know, I know; *yawn...* :lol: - y'all can find it here, at MediaFire:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/nmk44ji10au0r/4.1.14

32bit and 64bit versions can be found on this link.

[Click to enlarge:-]

Hope it's useful. Enjoy.

Mike. :D

Last edited by bigpup on Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added info about 32bit and 64bit downloads

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

watchdog

Re: OpenOffice 4.1.14 - 64-bit, packaged in ROXapp 'portable' format...

Post by watchdog »

I had built the openoffice sfs some months ago for the italian localization. I used a modded version of the old alien2puppy script from @01micko. Here it is:

https://www.italianpuppy.org/community/ ... pic=1624.0

watchdog

Post by watchdog »

openoffice-4.1.14-en_US-amd64.sfs:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b-25KQ ... share_link

I copied the desktop integration from a previous version. Let me know if it works for you.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Working OK in Bookworm Pup64 10.0.2

Very easy package to use.

This may be the best way to package programs for Puppy Linux to have one that works on a lot of different Puppy versions.

Time to test a few other Puppy versions.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

mikewalsh wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:51 pm

Or, you can put it somewhere a bit more permanent (outside the 'save', naturally!) and dive inside to run the MenuAdd script (rt-clk -> Look inside).

Thanks for the tip about MenuAdd. Makes it so much easier to use.
Testing this on Fossa 9.5 "Mid" (Ozsouth's pretty lean version of Fossa...). Works well, thanks!

mikeslr

Re: OpenOffice 4.1.14 - 64-bit Application Menus

Post by mikeslr »

OpenOffice_portable-menus.pet
(64.95 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

The above pet will create application menus for OpenOffice ROXapp (aka portable). After restart-x, it will also place a Quick-launcher on the Taskbar. Scroll to select the desired application to open. If you don't want it to occupy your Taskbar, file-browse into /rox/Startup and delete the script named OOQuick.

mikewalsh

Re: OpenOffice 4.1.14 - 32-bit build...

Post by mikewalsh »

Evening, gang.

(@mikeslr :- Thanks for the above .pet. Much appreciated. )

-----------------------------------------

Mikeslr having mentioned that OpenOffice still came in 32-bit format as well as 64-bit made me look a bit closer into the menus on the Download page, and......yup, there it was. I hadn't looked further because

• a) the 64-bit download is staring you in the face when the page opens, and

• b) I just assumed that OpenOffice had followed suit with LibreOffice when the latter went 64-bit only.

Nice to find that this one, at least, still supports older hardware. (Never pays to "assume" anything. As the old saw has it, it'll make an "ass" out of "u" AND "me". There ya go! :oops: )

Since I've now figured out the simplest way to build this from the multitude of tiny .debs you get in the tarball, I may keep on top of it.....though don't expect every consecutive build, since I've never been quite as fanatical about office suites as I am about browsers. The security risk just isn't present with these, or at least to a very much lesser degree......and it's a PITA to build! :shock: :lol:

---------------------------------

Anyways; for those of you stuck with older hardware (and consequently, 32-bit Puppies/Dogs/whatever), here's a 32-bit build of the OpenOffice ROXapp-portable.....current version 4.1.14. You'll find it at the same link as the above 64-bit version, so just navigate through and help yourselves.

Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Documents”