Why is this icon not showing?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

amethyst

Why is this icon not showing?

Post by amethyst »

See attached picture. This same applied application icon (for the exact same application) displays correctly at /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith. I'm puzzled. Is this a bug? This is Bionic 32.

Attachments
Screenshot(3).jpg
Screenshot(3).jpg (32.89 KiB) Viewed 440 times
bigpup

Re: Why is this icon not showing?

Post by bigpup »

Maybe because it is not a symbolic link to the actual program/file.

From the help for getting something added to the send to:

I'll show you your SendTo directory now; you should symlink (Ctrl+Shift drag) any applications you want into it.
The `Send To' menu may be opened by Shift+Menu clicking over a file.

Screenshot(2).jpg
Screenshot(2).jpg (8.35 KiB) Viewed 401 times

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

bigpup wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:08 pm

Maybe because it is not a symbolic link to the actual program/file.

From the help for getting something added to the send to:

I'll show you your SendTo directory now; you should symlink (Ctrl+Shift drag) any applications you want into it.
The `Send To' menu may be opened by Shift+Menu clicking over a file.

Screenshot(2).jpg

Well it's an actual application with the icon manually set (it was copied from the original location in this case, no link) but the icon for the symbolic link does not work either (if you link it). The application works but the icon does not show as you can see in the picture. There seems to be some difficulty with that specific folder when it comes to displaying icons. Also - if you symlink the file (which has the icon set) to this location, the icon does not show. Why is this (if you symlink a file with a set icon to another location the icon should show at the linked location)? I'm going to try this with another Puppy now and see if I experience the same issue.
AND - checked with Xenial. This is getting interesting. The file (which has its icon set) is symlinked to the location as showed above but the icon DOES NOT SHOW at the linked location HOWEVER it does show in the right-click menu where it should. At least it shows in the menu with Xenial but not in Bionic. :?
Must say, I have problems with Bionic 32. Whenever I have worked extensively with that Puppy, JWM inevitably crashes during the session. Don't know, just doesn't work properly for me, not stable.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I've seen this on other systems before as well! Next time I see it I'll make a note and look at it closer

Dry Falls

Post by Dry Falls »

I'd say it's not a bug. The icon in question identifies a shell-script file type. The other icons are links to desktop files. If you have a /usr/share/applications/nicOS-sfs-editor.desktop (or in /root/.local/share/applications or etc) make your link to it. It's the *.desktop files which tell rox which icon is used. Set icon makes changes to ~/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons. You may have to restart X to see the icon for the script.

df

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Dry Falls wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:27 pm

I'd say it's not a bug. The icon in question identifies a shell-script file type. The other icons are links to desktop files. If you have a /usr/share/applications/nicOS-sfs-editor.desktop (or in /root/.local/share/applications or etc) make your link to it. It's the *.desktop files which tell rox which icon is used. Set icon makes changes to ~/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons. You may have to restart X to see the icon for the script.

df

No restarting X does nothing. In Xenial the icon does not display in that folder but does in the right-click menu (how can that be). Also the icon DOES NOT identify a type it's set to identify this specific file (not the specific file type).

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

:? :? :?

Attachments
capture31835.png
capture31835.png (255.21 KiB) Viewed 353 times
Dry Falls

Post by Dry Falls »

OK. It works in lighthouse so the problem is probably in bionic32's rox-filer.

Return to “Users”