32-bit Puppy with touchscreen support ?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

Aneng

32-bit Puppy with touchscreen support ?

Post by Aneng »

Hi. I have an old J2 580 EPOS touchscreen PC that I'm currently running Windows 8.1 on but it's very slow. I've been told that Puppy has a 32 bit version that supports touchscreens.

Would anyone be able to confirm this before I take the plunge please?

Thanks!

TerryH

Re: Touchscreen support ?

Post by TerryH »

I checked on several 32 bit installation. My Dell Latitude 3350 laptop touchscreen is functioning. I have checked with bionicpup32 and stretchpup7.5, both have functioning touchscreens. The module hid-multitouch.ko is loaded at boot.

Edit: fixed misspelt module

Last edited by TerryH on Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

Aneng

Post by Aneng »

Thanks very much.

Aneng

Post by Aneng »

Alas... whilst bionicpup32 installed without a problem and runs rather quickly, the touchscreen doesn't work. :cry:

Aneng

Re: 32-bit Puppy with touchscreen support ?

Post by Aneng »

I checked in Windows Device Manager what the Touchscreen was identified as and it's showing as "ELO Touch Solutions legacy serial touchscreen". I've been onto the ELO website and there appear to be several Linux drivers available here:- https://www.elotouch.com/support/downlo ... KCeaU6seGY

However..... I have no idea what to do in order to get them onto a Puppy system.

I can copy files etc but the installation instructions look baffling to me as a Linux noob. I don't even know which of the sections apply to Puppy Linux......

Can anyone help please ?

Thanks !

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Different puppies offered touchscreen support for randomly different devices - depending on which kernel and modules were aboard.

Bit of a mixed bag unfortunately.

Even some of the very old puppies had good touchscreen support (for some devices) - and there were a couple of threads on the old forum (from tempestuous who was great with this stuff...) but I cant find the threads at the moment.

I did have some success with one of the slackos but have no idea if it would suit your device.

My thread is here:
https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtop ... 921936&i=1
(there is a link in that thread to the slacko version I was testing)

I made some scripts and adjustments that made Slacko 6.3 really quite usable on a Dell touchscreen tablet just using single finger taps. No idea if that puppy will understand the ELO but it's worth a try.

Within that thread forum member GCMartin (now known as Clarity on the new forum) offered the suggestion that Puppy "Lighthouse" was his preferred touchscreen puppy.

Hopefully others will come forward with the results of touchscreen testing on various devices...

What year was the J2? You may need a recent kernel so a 64bit pup may be worth trying too...

mistfire

Post by mistfire »

Try QuickPup 21.04
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1743

stemsee

Post by stemsee »

I did quite a bit of work on touchscreen on 32bit puppy and fatdog64 and lighthouse64. Currently I use a chromebook acer 714 with chromeos and fatdog64-812, I just got touchscreen working. Audio works, backlit kbd and screen work, webcam works, running with 5.2.21-rt custom kernel. Running google chrome touch screen is fully functional, but not in the window manager (openbox) at present. On other touchscreen devices FatDog forces wacom driver to be used for touchscreen which has two finger right-click for menus, and pinch to zoom in browsers and geany and compatible apps.

stemsee

Return to “Beginners Help”