Openoffice-4.1.8-amd64-en_US.sfs

Moderator: Forum moderators

watchdog

Openoffice-4.1.8-amd64-en_US.sfs

Post by watchdog »

mikeslr

Re: Openoffice-4.1.8-amd64-en_US.sfs

Post by mikeslr »

I have the impression --untested-- that Openoffice is somewhat less RAM demanding than LibreOffice. It seems to be more responsive.
The only draw-back that I can see is that while it can read docx files, and properly displays them, it can not write that format. That may complicate communicating with those who only know microsoft office.

Dingo

Post by Dingo »

mikeslr wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:13 pm

I have the impression --untested-- that Openoffice is somewhat less RAM demanding than LibreOffice. It seems to be more responsive.
The only draw-back that I can see is that while it can read docx files, and properly displays them, it can not write that format. That may complicate communicating with those who only know microsoft office.

I quote. I tried Libreoffice, than I become back to OpenOffice since on my Lenovo Thinkpad L440 with 8 GB RAM, it is a lot faster and less RAM requiring

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Softmaker's FreeOffice can write docx I think

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@rockedge - pretty sure only the registered (paid) version of Softmaker writes docx (at least up to 2018, was so).

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@ozsouth

I'm using Textmaker2019-amd64.sfs which is available below. It is a @mikewalsh creation I think. It seems to save as .docx
It is the stand alone version that is included in FreeOffice 2019, Textmaker 2019.

Screenshot(50).png
Screenshot(50).png (74.83 KiB) Viewed 602 times

Textmaker2019-amd64.sfs

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Hi, @ozsouth / @rockedge :-

Yes, that IS my package, I believe. Normally TextMaker is an integral part of SoftMaker's FreeOffice, but Mikeb was talking a couple of years back about "dissecting" an older FreeOffice suite into its component parts......and at that time, there was quite a steady trickle of complaints about Abiword on the Forum.

Knowing full well that most folks only ever use the WP component of an office suite, I thought I'd try Mikeb's technique with TextMaker. It worked out rather well..!

I've only ever packaged FreeOffice . It's been my sole foray into the Office/Documents section. But for the 3 or so years I've been doing it, it's always been able to match whatever the current MyCrudSoft "fad" format of the moment happens to be......and I've never yet paid for it.

Anyways; as always......nice one @watchdog !

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Documents”